My mechanical addiction

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

zozimus
480 Newbie

My mechanical addiction

Post by zozimus » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:52 pm

I remember seeing the 480 when it arrived on our streets back in the late eighties. It managed to look somehow sleek and solid at the same time, and I fell in love. As soon as I was old enough, I got my first one, a 1993 black ES 2.0. I went from driving a 998cc Seat Ibiza to the Volvo and it was fantastic! The car ran without a hitch and everything worked.

For a while :-)

Actually - the main problem I've had with my 480s has been vandalism and not the mechanics. I had my lovely black 480 completely resprayed and touched, with new rear light clusters. It looked brand new and I couldn't wait to drive it. But about three months after that, I was at a client's place and went out to feed the parking meter, only to find a bus parked in my passenger seat. That began the demise of a really good 480. The insurance company nominated a repair shop that did a terrible job. The bus company claimed it was a write off. So my poor 480, was replaced as my day-to-day car and left idle.

Then the luftwaffe came to my rescue. A friend's dad, who had been born in Ireland after his dad, who was in the luftwaffe, crashed in a plane during the war, and met an Irish girl, (still with me?), had recently retired as a pilot and was into the 480s. He heard I had one that needed some love, and took it to restore.

Using this forum and eBay and LOTS of time and effort, he had the car back in pristine form again. The engine was always good, but now the electrics and everything else matched up. It was my day runner again.

Until it was vandalised again. It had had windows smashed on three occasions in various parts of Dublin, but this time they bent back the driver's door, creasing the supports and taking the car off the road again.

So I bought another one. A 1995 ES 2.0, green with the semi leather seats, This one has its problems but nothing that can't be fixed.

So I've organised storage and I'm going to transfer all the good bits from the older car, to the newer car. I might even swap the engine - the older one is much smoother.

I'll post pics and let ya'll know how I get on.