Project 480 ES

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

themaster
480 Newbie

Project 480 ES

Post by themaster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:52 pm

So last week I bought a car for £20 (plus £50 delivery), without seeing it. I knew it was a 480 with the 2.0 engine, and not really much else other than the old lady selling it was offered £20 for scrap and I'd mentioned to a friend of hers that I might be interested. I knew it was likely to be a shed as she'd said she'd been quoted of £700 to get it back on the road.

The car arrived on Thursday where I found it was a white L-reg 480 ES and I jetwashed it in Friday because it was covered in all manner of filth. The garage had clearly left it outside next to a building site. I had to clean it to see what we're in for. Which is:

For MOT:

New backbox as the current is holed.
Fix crazy-dancing pop-ups (or take out the fuse so they stay up for MOT)

Electrical glitches:

Neither window works.
The info centre doesn't.
Did I mention the crazy-dancing pop-ups?

Ideally:

Tend to rear arches and rust spots. The rear arches have rusted but can be filled and repainted as they're not too far gone.
Rust spots form stone-chips will need touching up.
Sort out the headlining (at the rear it's sagging).

So. The car I bought essentially to rip bits off looks to be salvageable. Given I'm a soft touch and have a soft spot for the 480, I'm going to try to save it. Wish me luck...

themaster
480 Newbie

Re: Project 480 ES

Post by themaster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:35 pm

Just tried the light relay from the 'good 480' (my Turbo {the thread for which seems to have vanished since the spamming stuff, along with my user, but ho hum, it's only words).

Problem 1 solved. The issue is simply the light relay (412598). We'll see how much Volvo wants for that tomorrow, unless anyone knows if it's a standard relay that can be replaced via Maplins).

themaster
480 Newbie

Post by themaster » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:28 am

Guess what Volvo doesn't make any more? Yep, that headlamp relay, part 3412653. I phoned them up, they quoted me £28.40 plus VAT ... then said it was discontinued. Meh, damn Volvo, they really should be supporting these old cars. We'll try a scrap yard and/or find someone to make it then!

Also I couldn't yesterday remove the back box. Guess that a larger hammer and some heat is required.

chriskay
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chriskay » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 pm

themaster wrote:Guess what Volvo doesn't make any more? Yep, that headlamp relay, part 3412653. I phoned them up, they quoted me £28.40 plus VAT ... then said it was discontinued. Meh, damn Volvo, they really should be supporting these old cars. We'll try a scrap yard and/or find someone to make it then!
I'm sure some Glaswegian will be along soon. ;)
2 Kings; Chapter 9 Verse 20

themaster
480 Newbie

Post by themaster » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:09 pm

Aye, he was. Sadly too late, as I'd been on the (more expensive than Jim) Parts Gateway.

On the upside the relay arrived today and was fine. I also picked up a used back box locally for £20. I'll be going to the local motor factors tomorrow for a new exhaust clamp and some hangers and then we can probably get her MOT'd.

Then, all the remaining work will be:

Both electric windows (if anyone is breaking and has regulators for either side do let me know) and rear wiper motor (Jim has)
Shore up the arches (mesh & filler) and touch up stone-chip rust spots
See if we can fix up the headlining at the back
Fix info centre (not quite sure what to look at first there)

If anyone's interested (I realise everyone knows what a 480 ES looks like), but here's mine after a water-only jet wash (obviously it'll be cleaned properly and polished up after it's been touched up) :

Hopefully worth saving :)