What have we done!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

no_data
480 Newbie

What have we done!

Post by no_data » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Well my boyfriend & I both love 480's & kept looking for a half decent one we could get as he only has a works van & I use my little Renault 5 for everything else. One on ebay looked perfect, T&T, GT model, only bad faults listed as cat gone, passenger electric window n/w & seat catch as well as being an accident repair but apparently repaired to proper standard. And we got all this for £300 :hopping:
Yay I thought.......
Rang insurance & both of us on my classic policy was free so another result & arranged to collect from over 150 miles away that Saturday. Bloke arranged to meet us behind some shops (alarm bells) rather than at home address & when we got there realised it was not quite as tidy as advertised. But we had fell in love & at that price still wanted him so paid although was very strange as log book had been pre filled with someone elses details & then tip-exed out. Also my green part was missing so I guess he already sold it & they returned it but he denied this. Anyway I was scared as had to drive this unknown car home following the other half so when 25 miles in I saw oil spew out over bonnet & headlamp then shed loads of smoke I guessed the worse but when we pulled over we saw the oil filler cap was off & sitting on the engine. :angry: cleared up as much as we could & crawled to next petrol station. Got home without anything else making me nearly soil myself but then discovered all the other things that were wrong. Blower works intermittently & sometimes when turned off blows as if on number 1 (Help). rear wiper/washer n/w, drivers heated seat n/w, petrol flap spring broke so hangs open all time. (Help). No boot cover. Wet boot carpet. Bodywork did not really have a straight panel, loads of lights n/w inside & out, tons of spare wiring everywhere from some sort of massive stereo set up. Things like the door panels & speakers all been removed but then stuck back with white sealant of some sort! :wall: Slow puncture on rear, battery not clamped in... the list goes on.
Just so sad that such a rare model gets treated like this, lots of silly little things that if they had been done at the time would save so much time & not make him look so bad when selling.
Problem is neither of us is electrical/mechanical minded really so we are pretty stuffed & having to rely on a few mechanics I know to help out but slow/expensive job. First thing is to chuck him through another MOT so we can get an idea of what is the most serious/important stuff to do, like cat etc.
We aint giving in though, I have a garage & we have time & passion for the car so will do what we can when we can & keep another 480 on the road who deserves to be there. Photos to follow.
Jaine, Brian & Ovlov the 480 :)
If I want to hear the pitter patter of tiny feet I will put shoes on my cat

no_data
480 Newbie

Re: What have we done!

Post by no_data » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:14 pm

I think I probably came across as a complete numpty in that post, I should know a bit about cars as I have owned enough! Just not as brave as I used to be about taking things to bits & hoping they go back together again.....Used to nearly strip down my BSA motorbike..... Anyway we have done silly obvious things like replaced wipers, put on a locking petrol cap for the moment, changed a few bulbs (some still not working tho), re-done the door panels, chucked an old cd in him (i love my tunes), fixed battery in & generally tidied up.
What we said we will do is try to make a list & just do one thing at a time as I work shifts at my local hospital so dont get a lot of daylight hours at the moment.
Will post up in the relevant places so I can grab all the help I can get :wink: and god do I need some

Jaine

no_data
480 Newbie

Post by no_data » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:33 pm

This is our lovely Ovlov.

no_data
480 Newbie

Post by no_data » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:37 pm

The high level brake light does work & I will grab a heater switch from someone so we can turn it off as I think it will do my nut in after a while. He is going to my mechanic tomorrow to have cat emptied out then hopefully he will run better. Will keep this updated as we go along.
Thank you all for your help, I am so chuffed at finding this fabulous community.
p.s I have posted a pic of my fuel cap on Rachels post if anyone can help.

Jaine

no_data
480 Newbie

Post by no_data » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:04 pm

Took him to my local garage for cat to be emptied but after that he still runs like a pig & misfires so they are keeping him overnight & run diagnostics tomorrow.....
keep fingers crossed something silly like leads/rotor etc :(
Jaine