A brief history of our 480

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

DaveR
480 Newbie

A brief history of our 480

Post by DaveR » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:01 pm

Our 480 was bought new by my wife in 1992 - V5 shows no previous owners. It was delivered to our house on 31st July for a registration date of 1st August. She chose the Limited Edition in two tone green and silver, 1.7 litre ES. No airbags, no air con, no ABS. It suffered a few early niggles but nothing significant.

Over its life its had:
about 4 exhaust systems (should have bought a stainless steel system!)
2 catalytic converters - the cam shaft oil seal failed (about 50k miles) leaking oil into the distributor cap. Poor spark led to unburnt fuel in the cat and the core collapsed. The cat was replaced by an aftermarket one (about £150), which failed earlier this year when the weld around the lambda sensor bung failed. Found one on ebay for just under £50 including postage.
2 clutches - first around 60k miles - gearbox oil seal failed. Second just replaced due to gearbox failure.
1 x headlight motor
1 x electric window motor
1 x heater matrix
1 x alternator rebuild (about 100k miles)
1 x power steering pump (June 2009)
1 x radiator (April 2010) - I bought a wide one but needed a narrow one!. Fits with a different bottom hose and a bit of re-plumbing and the blanking panel removed.
1 x rear bumper member (July 2010) - got a very light shunt at a T junction, other driver paid for new part (£150 for the member alone).
1 x gearbox (September 2010). Gearbox tag missing on the original one, but replacement is an M60 373E from a 2 litre car. Gearing a bit different - less revs needed so the old one was probably a 407 (the 373 and 407 are the differential ratio: 373 = 3.73:1 and 407 = 4.07:1). Thanks to gingherheed (Andy) for the gearbox, fits without problem.
Plus the usual brake discs, pads and tyres, every single bulb on the dashboard - they all blew at the same time (a power spike somehow) and a repaint of the speedo. And lots of daylight bulbs!. Front indicator/daylight units were also replaced at some time but the rears are original (and quite matt).

It's now done 215k miles - paint work a bit tatty in places, mostly front bumper, and a bit of rust especially 1 rear arch. Now got a spare front wing for repair panel - again, thanks to gingherheed.

I'll need to sort out a picture hosting site then I can add some photos.

Cheers
Dave
1992 1.7 ES two tone.

DaveR
480 Newbie

Re: A brief history of our 480

Post by DaveR » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 am

Failed MOT test this morning. Nothing too serious - front anti-roll bar drop links, one read drop link and handbrake efficiency. Would be easy enough to sort out but just don't have the time at the moment to do it myself. I'm ashamed with myself - I am letting a garage do this work which I could easily do myself. I'll have to go and give myself a sound beating :lol: . And the rear wheel arch really needs doing....
1992 1.7 ES two tone.

DaveR
480 Newbie

Post by DaveR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:55 pm

A bit of trouble with the sump.....

Last edited by DaveR on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 1.7 ES two tone.

DaveR
480 Newbie

Post by DaveR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:06 pm

A bit of body work repair. Finally failed the MOT, corrosion within 30cm of suspension and seat belt anchor.

Before ...
ImageImageImageImage

During...
ImageImage

After ... waiting for the weather to improve so I can get spraying, outside of course.

Now MOT not failed on bodywork, one of the front ball joints now needs changing.
1992 1.7 ES two tone.