My New Time and Money Sponge

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ChrisRidett
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: My New Time and Money Sponge

Post by ChrisRidett » Sat May 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Not much to report, but I have managed to T-Cut my oily fingerprints from the nosecone of poppy from the time i changed her water pump.

Dunno why, but my 'boy-racer' gene is in overdrive at the moment....I have a serious urge to put blackout tints on the rear passenger windows!
Speedo's still working, :hopping: Dont appear to be losing any more water... :hopping:

Oh....and I must have accidently hit the rear wash jet and knocked it off......tried to wash my back window and launched a stream of water at the car behind me....lol
Will get a pic, looks like a James Bond Car gadget , only it doesnt clean the rear window very well!

Managed to trade in the Rover!!!!
Now have a V70 D5 ......automatic diesel..... ( Mrs's commuter and holiday car ). So easy to drive its scary, wafts along, find it impossible to hurry in it ! The car just has this ' now just sit back in the leather seats, listen to some music and I'll drift to where you're going' vibe. With big seats, cruise control and a nice stereo, feels like your driving your living room!
The bigger picture here is...it makes mrs life easier = makes my life easier= :D
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Mon May 23, 2011 8:48 am

Boy Racer urge got the better of me.
:D

Last time I tried this tint lark I failed miserably , but I'm older and wiser now!!!
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Arrggghhhh :bla:

Boy racer gene in full flow............... have now blacked out rear sides and rear tailgate window......AND I've gone an stuck a tailpipe on it when i swore I hated those things .....lol :nuts:

The thing it.....the back of poppy now looks actually quite cool and modern! ( Well I think - will try and post a pic tmrw )

More seriously....i now have a full set of rear discs and pads to fit .......prob try that in a couple of weeks when the mrs is away.

I've got a slight whine sometimes when I first start it up. I think I've got the tension wrong on the alternator/waterpump belt. That or the alternator may be going home. ( already changed the water pump so it better not be that!! )

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:45 am

Poppy's trying to tell me something

I'm not sure if its ' sell me and buy a motorbike ' or ' stop thinking about buying a motorbike or I'll break'

Either way - went to start her this morning and crank-crank-splat- battery flat.

So - I either have a faulty battery or the alternator isn't charging it properly - ahh now theres a test of problem solving.

The whining I've been hearing could be the alternator going home - or equally the alternator struggling valiantly to charge a failing battery. As this whining tends to go off after shes been running for a while, suggesting either somethings getting warm or the battery starts to top back up.

With £60 for a battery or about the same for a cheapo alternator from ebay, I'm reluctant to do one and find out its the other!

Equally it could actually be both !! :shock:

I was tempted to try and roll her down the hill, however the prospect of heading down a very steep hill, with no servo , no lights , no power steering and a slightly weak handbrake cable, with a mini roundabout immediately at the bottom of the hill..........I decided against that. :boom:

The voltmeter on Poppy seems to indicate a good voltage when running, so I'm inclined to think the battery is pooched and the alternator is struggling under the load to charge it.

I feel a cunning plan emerging. If I can get her started, I may disconnect the battery once poppy is running and see if the whine still occurs. If it does - Alternator next stop. If it goes , and comes back when re-connected- new battery on the cards.

I have a plan.

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:28 pm

Oh boll0cks. :cry: :cryhard:

Theres a distinct possibility that poppys days could be numbered.
Replaced the alternator and the whine is still there.

Its strange, it is getting worse.
Initially it sounded like the water pump - and as i was losing a bit of coolant - I changed it.
then it sounded like the belt was slipping and the battery going flat suggested the alternator was on its way out , seizing up etc, so I've changed that.

Now the whine is a bit more pronounced for a short time i started the motor, and it seems to be coming more from the engine - I have a very nasty suspicion, that the bearings may be going on the turbo now.

with the engine running for a short time the whine goes off and becomes hard to trace. then it comes back after driving for a while and causes her to stutter under acceleration.

But what makes me now suspect the turbo is that when I was driving it down to my dads, I tried to over take a tractor and she coughed , twice. I got past the tractor , maintained a speed and she was ok. Then at idle she was lumpy.

When I first fire her up after changing the alternator, shes lumpy and the whine is there.

Then she settles down and the whine reduces dramatically.

She's got plenty of oil, water etc.

I'm thinking oil starvation somewhere? Idle control valve and associated bits ?( need to check that next )

If I really need to replace the turbo - thats pretty much game over for poppy unless I can get one cheap and changing it I'm sure would be a git.

I'm going to do some research in the haynes manual, look through the forum and my plan at this stage is to take it to a garage and see what thier diagnosis is.

Although I trust most garages about as far as i can jump on my knees uphill with a headwind. :wall:

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:40 am

Will be taking poppy to a garage for confirmation, but best we can figure- turbos on the way out.

Problem is these turbos are sought after for the Renault 5's!

Managed to get her back from maidstone without too much problem - but relied on revs as opposed to acceleration. Didnt screech at all.

Just put 6 months tax on her. :cry:

Ok - am evaluating options.

1- obtain secondhand replacement turbo unit and fit DIY.
Pros- costs to a minimum
Cons - pretty difficult with no garage etc. Rare spares, secondhand unit unknown life. ( could be a lot of work for the same issue )

2- Buy new turbo - get it fitted.
Pros- Solves problem
Cons - Cost more then cars worth .

3- Sell Poppy while she's kinda driveable with known faults with tax and mot. :cryhard:
Pros - Can use any money to get a replacement
Cons - Prob would get much more then the cost of the Tax for her if that. Will upset my boy. :cry:

Will post for a wanted 2ndhand Turbo unit - but dont hold out a lot of hope.

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:40 am

Will be taking poppy to a garage for confirmation, but best we can figure- turbos on the way out.

Problem is these turbos are sought after for the Renault 5's!

Managed to get her back from maidstone without too much problem - but relied on revs as opposed to acceleration. Didnt screech at all.

Just put 6 months tax on her. :cry:

Ok - am evaluating options.

1- obtain secondhand replacement turbo unit and fit DIY.
Pros- costs to a minimum
Cons - pretty difficult with no garage etc. Rare spares, secondhand unit unknown life. ( could be a lot of work for the same issue )

2- Buy new turbo - get it fitted.
Pros- Solves problem
Cons - Cost more then cars worth .

3- Sell Poppy while she's kinda driveable with known faults with tax and mot. :cryhard:
Pros - Can use any money to get a replacement
Cons - Prob would get much more then the cost of the Tax for her if that. Will upset my boy. :cry:

Will post for a wanted 2ndhand Turbo unit - but dont hold out a lot of hope.

T850
480 Newbie

Post by T850 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:10 am

There are replacement Turbos from several other manufacturers which should fit, there's a vendor on Ebay Germany who sells new Turbos which should fit to the block with no modifications for less than 250 Euros. Con: they are only oil-cooled, so the water feeds would have to be modified and an additional oil cooler would be highly recommended. Also, maybe the ECU would need Adjusting, but higher boost would be a definitive possibility.

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:12 am

Just spoken to a very nice man that does recon turbos and he offered some very pertinent advice.

I described the whistle and he asked if the noise went as soon as I lifted off....which it does.

He said it sounded like a leak.....either to the inlet or exhaust manifolds.

I'll be investigating, but this isnt impossible as this does coincide with my exhaust being replaced.....wonder if they managed to loosen a seal which has got worse.

Knowing that the airflow is strictly controlled and measured, a leak will cause all manner of problems.

For his volunteered advice I'm mentioning the firms name .

CR Turbos. http://www.crturbos.co.uk/index.php

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:29 pm

OK .....really confused now.

Alternator changed, Whining still there - especially on startup, but so far no performance problems.
MPG is up into the 40's driving carefully and economically - could barely manage 30 on the same run previously.

So I figure alternator was screwed anyway, seems the battery is charging better now too as when I crank her she turns a lot quicker.

I wonder if that was causing her to struggle to accelerate - alternator and tight belt making it harder for the engine to run.

Listening to the whine with new ears - it soo sounds like a ' low on oil ' squeal that goes off once its all pumped around again. I have plenty of oil in her - over halfway between marks on stick. But am wondering.

I've noticed the spark plug well nearest the cam belt is always damp with oil, and on further investigation it looks like theres a small amount of oil escaping from the cam cover gasket. I'm wondering if the oil around the cam is draining away when hot and thin instead of pooling around the cam area. - Just a thought.

Going to top up the oil to the max anyway might see if I can temporary bodge the leak and see if the noise remains.

If it is the gasket thats gone, that should be fairly cheap, although not sure how much of the inlet manifold etc that needs to be removed to get to it.. Will investigate

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:28 pm

Thanks to Jim for the the megafuse and the squirter!
Here I am thinking the faded orange indicator or the worn rear pads are getting picked up on the MoT.
Nope, they picked up a ball joint and a broken numberplate light cover.! :bla:

Anyway, regardless of squeekiness, Poppy now has an Mot!

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Its been a while since my last post - so a quick update.

1) Squealing is getting worse - when it happens.
2) By the time the oil is warm......squealing reduces to barely audible then goes.

I now think its one of two things.

1) Cambelt tensioner -
2) Cam bearing.

Still possible it could be the Turbo, but whine is a resonant whine not a rising and falling whine.

Getting it looked at by the local garage. feel like I've sold my soul to the devil. Not told them to fix it , just diagnose it

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Garage confirmed the squealing as the cam tensioner.

So I had them do it- no time or space to do it myself.

It has fixed the problem, and they showed me the old one........was only a short matter of time until it seized completely.

Then the belt would have gone and all hell would have broken loose.

Engine now revs a lot easier - completely different car!

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:36 am

Its weird, looking back over the parts changed over the last few months - several things failed at about the same time.

Its rare that multiple problems occur at the same time - and confuses trouble shooting.

In order to try an fix the squealing a number of things were done, but the squeal was only part of the problem.

I was consistently losing a small amount of coolant which was visible from staining - so the water pump was replaced.
squealing can easily come from a worn out water pump.

Engine stuttering and battery not charging - Failing Alternator - Alternator replaced.
Again - a tight belt slipping due to a failing alternator would caused squealing.

All the time these are hiding another more serious problem - the cambelt idler is going. Albeit slowly.
the Squeal from this was probably pretty minimal and disguised by either ( most likely ) the water pump or the alternator.
However over the course of time the tensioner squeal increased.

Now with all these changes, the engine sounds different, and I need to learn again the sound of normal operation - providing something else doesnt go wrong in the meantime.

Have only used Poppy for little trips at night recently which has drained the battery - twice recently I've had to push her down the road to get her going....
I'll try and drop the battery out and charge it overnight tonight ready for the weekend.
My jump starter is ok, but it really helps to have someone else crank while I hold the clamps on in order to get the connection it needs.

Hoping nothing else major goes on her over winter.

Need to change her oil.......got the oil.....just havent had the time!!!

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Small Addendum

Oil now changed - Coolant topped up - even put the cover back on the rear wiper motor on the inside of the tailgate.

New Battery on the cards I think - I dont expect this one to last the winter.

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:17 pm

After laying out for the cambelt change poppy starts to ramp at idle.

Shes never done it before - and it got worse and worse.

After milling over the options - I grabbed 20 mins to myself, flung on the overalls and promptly whipped out a sparkplug.
The plug was black - as were the rest of them - most say this is due to too-rich mixture.
I cleaned them up, stuck them back in and fired her up ............idle still ramping.
So I undid the clips on the air filter and opened the box.
Soon as I did that the idle fell and stabilised - so I thought the filter was blocked - although it didnt look bad.
Popped the lid back with the filter in place and idle still the same.

Now the old Rover 25 I used to have I swapped the throttle body out on it - and when I did the EMU went into spasm and couldnt idle the car properly until it had learnt the new full range of the throttle position sensor.

I wonder whether the timing for the idle has been affected by the fact that the engine now requires less fuel to idle properly. Obviously the blackened plugs are an ever depreciating circle, the more you get on them - the worse it gets.

So I will do a few miles in her, see how she goes and then bring a plug out to see how shes getting on.

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Well its been a while since I've posted, but apart from the odd bit of ramping now and again Poppy's been behaving

I've noticed that if she starts to ramp at idle ( ie idle cant settle and it sounds like someone flicking the accelerate ) all i need to do to reset this is to pop the air cleaner lid off. As soon as i unclip and pop it off, the idles settles again.

I think its down to the fact that she is blowing slightly from the join between the back box and the curve section that mates with it.

Many miles on she's not ramping as often although shes not a economic in town , but i reckon shes got slightly more grunt overtaking.

So i figure the ecu has worked it out now....lol.

Anyway, Poppy hasnt had much done to her - she's done some motorway miles now and the battery has managed to survive winter and with the help of a light solar charger in the dash its keeping her going.

Still havent changed the rear discs yet, and I'm still sporting a black wheel!

But shes plodding on, good ol Poppy

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Ahhhhhhh think i may have found out why Poppy is ramping.

Think i may have a dodgy connection to the AirFlow sensor, hence every time I took the air cleaner off it moved the connector and made it work again.

i didnt remove it the last time, just checked connections and Poppy dropped back to idle.

So i need to find time to check the cable and connections properly, but this make more sense now.

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 am

hey All.

Its been a while since my last post, and plenty has been happening.

The good news is Poppy is still plodding on. I'd got hold of replacement handbrake cables to do them myself, but didnt have time.
Managed to find a local guy that was happy to fit the cables, and my rear discs and pads , after 6pm and only charged me £50. Its made driving Poppy in the snow a hell of a lot easier. Glad I didnt do it - everything was pretty seized up he reckoned. I've put a new Battery in her, ( overdue from last year ) and changed the rear gas struts for the tailgate.( I can now get the shopping out the car without being brained!!! )

Its amazing how much difference it makes when you dont have to park on a slope ( so you can roll start her ) and dont have to worry about the handbrake seizing on!

She even managed a trip to cambridge and back on snowy sunday. I'm still in awe that the 'traction-ish control' works!
Considering the age of the car, and the thought that went into it , the feature of having the ABS kick in when you're wheels are slipping under mild acceleration is very clever.

It was almost chains weather, but Poppy managed without them :)

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 am