My New Time and Money Sponge

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ChrisRidett
Knows where Volvo is from

Re: My New Time and Money Sponge

Post by ChrisRidett » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:12 am

Well its been a while..... a lots happened.

I've been using Poppy almost daily and she starting to show her age, although she still returns over 40+mpg on a run and about 30mpg in round town.

She had her windscreen replaced recently and the rust bug has got into certain places. It hasnt stopped them from replacing the windscreen but its indicative of her condition.

I wound the drivers window down the other day to be greeted with a snapping sound and now a rusty grinding noise when i touch the switch ( which i'm trying not too until i get a chance to look in the door)

I'm upset as I dont have the time to spend on her anymore, yet shes a good car. I feel i'm running her into the ground :(

Theres reasons for this - wont go into them in too much detail, but my circumstances have changed - now separated from the mrs and looking after my lad.

Poppys due an MOT in september - i think i've got a front disc warped - i''ve got new discs and pads to put on, but not the time. ( tried to but couldnt find the right poxy bit for my impact driver ! )

I can see rust spots appearing on the lower edge of the drivers door - i know they need work now to stop them progressing.

Tax is due before the months out and at £120+ for 6 months its an ouch in the wallet just at the time the kids are on holiday.

Poppys not been an expensive car to run - but she needs time spent on her to keep her that way.

I know this sounds like a 'for sale ' advert but its more my state of mind at the moment.

My boy loves Poppy and doesnt want me to sell her, so I'll try and get her through another MoT - my worry is corrosion.
I know the last thing you want to be driving is an unsafe rusty car.
I've a squeak at the back of the car sounds like a bush has gone on the suspension..... or the suspension unit .... :cryhard:

Maybe i'm just a bit paranoid at the moment.

Been passively looking at £700 Micras........... thats how bad it is!

But on the plus side me and the boy are healthy and he's happy that he's got no school for weeks now!

I would look forward to winning the lottery ........but I dont do it - so i cant ! lol

oh i'll figure something out .......dont mean to be so depressive on the forum, but its good to get this out!

Heres wishing everyone a great summer and some carefree motoring :)
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:59 am

Hi Chris, sent u a pm

Nothing to do with Volvos tho :)

About Poppy....never give up!! Keep up the good work mate. Watch a few episodes of Wheeler Dealers on Project Free TV website, they can fix anything :)
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks for that James, and others that have replied - its much appreciated.

Managed to get into the drivers door today - had to remove the mechanism

Part of the bracket at the top end had fractured off and the bracket that holds the second cable end had gone , meaning the cable got wound up into the mech.

so I'm on the lookout for a replacement mechansim - but not just yet - apparently the electric windows are not MoT testable, so I'll survive for a while.

Currently the window is wedged into place using a naturally sourced bespoke fitted section.......( a sturdy bit of wood :) )
Cars: Bond Bug 700ES, Reliant Scimitar GTE SE5A,Vauxhall Carlton CDX 2.6, Nissan 200 SX , MG-ZR, Rover 25 , Volvo V40 1.9TD, 480 Turbo..POPPY- to be released back into the wild, Volvo V70 D5 (ExWife nicked it, gave it back broken,I fixed it temp, flogged it to WeByAnyCr before it broke again :). Hyundai Elantra 2.0 CDX ( Strangest car ever).
Now have a full OBD software so although the 480's didnt have it - any members need a cars Engine Management Light reset post 1999 get in touch :)

ChrisRidett

Post by ChrisRidett » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:33 pm

Well my friends, the unhappy time has come to release Poppy into the care of someone else.
I will be posting in the For Sale section after writing this.

I can no longer dedicate the time needed to keep Poppy in the condition she deserves to be kept in and I fear if I keep her she will deteriorate.

So she is being offered for sale within the club at first - and if no ones takes her she'll have to go on ebay - although that will break my heart.

I've owned her for 4 years and she's seen me through some tough times - i cant let her slowly rust on the drive.

Things that need doing:
Drivers electric window : Replacement regulator unit needed- old one have been stripped out ready but window is propped closed at the moment.
Minor Rust spots on door edges: Need curing now or they'll eat the door skin away
Dashboard slightly intermittent: Speedo is 50/50 - most of the rest works.
Water leak: from somewhere - possibly blocked drain channel from the sunroof. Footwells wet : think this if from sitting on the drive not being used.
Washer stalk pull works - but wipers only come on when stalk moved down - not automatically when washer is activated.
Drivers fog light need replacing - mounting points have gone and its loose.
She needs a wash and a polish!

Good points.
Strong engine - shes a reliable lump, despite problems with the alternator - theres a new one in her now and seems to be holding.
Structurally good as far as i can tell .
electric mirrors work + heated too
rear demist works - rewired all that
New windscreen, rear discs and pads and handbrake cable last year
Cambelt only has about 10k on it
I've changed the oil on her every year and thats normally included the filter too.
At 20 years old she still goes a lot quicker then most cars on the road !
No black smoke or funny turbo noises.

Taxed and Mot'd ( think tax is till June, Mot is October/November time )

Annoying points
New discs and pads at front, but seem to get a bit of vibration when braking from motorway speeds- could be wheels need balancing or new disc has warped or bearing or......whatever
Connector on the MAF sensor sometimes causes her to ramp on the revs at idle- just pushing the connector back on sorts it - another minor thing I never got round to fixing.
Cold sensor seems sticky : She'll start and run fine , but if you gun her from cold ( not recommended anyway - cold oil all around the turbo...) - the sensor seems to tell the unit shes already hot and she'll then run a bit rough until shes warmed up.
Headlining at rear needs sticking up!

She needs tidying and some love and attention and she'll be a nice car again.

Offers invited - I'd rather sell her to someone that going to do her up for a bit less then someone else thats going to rip her turbo engine out. So established members on the forum are given precedence here.

Lets try and keep another original Turbo on the road

My immense thanks to all those on this forum for their help and support with Poppy and everything else.