480 Turbo, recycled hooligans car......

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

DrumBum
480 Newbie

480 Turbo, recycled hooligans car......

Post by DrumBum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:18 pm

My first 480, but not my first Volvo
New to the world of 480's, got a lovely 480 turbo from Glasgowjim, and have grinned myself stupid in equal measure to scaring myself as well, its my everyday driver and so far....
Blagged some boot clips for the load cover from Jim
centre pipe and back box have self destructed, it actually sounds better and goes quicker but sooner or later PC Plod is gonna show an unwelcome interest,
Alternator died, wouldn't have minded but i was working in Glasgow at the time, so took it too a recommended garage for a replacement, it lasted 4 days and tried to disassemble itself on the M9, RAC again for a tow home :cryhard:
Usual malady of chaffed wires in the rear hatch to sort at some point...
updates as the arrive.....

DrumBum
480 Newbie

Re: 480 Turbo, recycled hooligans car......

Post by DrumBum » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Latest:
After a bus, train, long walk, long walk, train and taxi, i have the replacement alternator
Fitted it this morning, battery had been on a trickle charge overnight and ma beastie fired up.
I suspect the grease monkey who fitted the first replacement had overtightened the adjuster causing the belt to pull on the drive cog, as i didn't need half as much adjustment to eliminate belt squeal.....
I'll never get the garage to stick their hands up to that one. :badmood:
Ah the ongoing saga of 480 life.... :D

DrumBum
480 Newbie

Post by DrumBum » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:19 pm

And theres more....
Replaced both battery clamps as they were cracked and loose, chopped out the brittle wiring in the mega-fuse and put it all back together.

DrumBum
480 Newbie

Post by DrumBum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:10 pm

You know the jobs....

The ones that are not vital to the running but you'll get round too?
Remember i mentioned the chaffed wires in the lid, interesting effects tonight in Edinburgh, heated rear would come on randomly, hit the brakes and the rear window would demist as well, useful if you wanted to see clearly who was about to rear end you.... ;)
wiper developed a mind of its own, then the brake lights stayed on, much to the annoyance of a confused taxi driver behind me...
Quick stop and separate the shorting wires.
Offside rear suspension is now knocking like a privvy door in a high wind.
My weekend off is now occupied

DrumBum
480 Newbie

Post by DrumBum » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Thats it....

Car is officially known as Christine, got a complete mind of its own, if it doesn't kill me with its shannigans, then i'll probably die trying to get it too work properly..... :rofl:

DrumBum
480 Newbie

Post by DrumBum » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:43 pm

Silence of the lambas....

Centre pipe and rear box now replaced, least its not turning heads for all the wrong reasons, alternator seems to be holding up..... :D

DrumBum
480 Newbie

here we go again

Post by DrumBum » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:34 pm

Dodgy braking ect is getting mostly contribited to the naff tyres on the front, tons of tread but bugger all grip, some korean/chinese fung keong deathmasters, had a similar on the front of my kwacker.... :cry:
This all came to a head when braking into a downhill left hander and the front began to slide away, fresh undies when i got home.
OSR still knocking, but as its a shocker i'm not unduly worried.
Shes still for sale lads and lassies, make me an offer, whats the worst can happen, i might laugh...... :D