My 1993 Volvo 480s 1.7 ... second time lucky!

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

ahal
480 Newbie

My 1993 Volvo 480s 1.7 ... second time lucky!

Post by ahal » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:37 pm

I've always liked the 480's ... I recall buying an issue of 'Motor' magazine in the mid 1980's, and seeing the 'spy shots' taken by that legend of the time, Hans G. Lehmann. I sure liked the look of it ... very UN Volvo indeed! Speaking of Legends, a Honda Legend was the cover car of that issue ... it had just been introduced. Years passed, I forgot about it ... and then someone bought a two - tone celebration in the '90's locally. That stoked up the embers of passion once more!

I went hunting a 480 in 2001, and found them practically impossible to find. I came accross a few tired and decidedly dodgy examples that were somewhere between original and badly 'modded', with godawful wheels and bits added, at premium prices. At that time you could sell just about anything for a high price. One thing I have learned about the 480's is that the design is already in the shape. In my opinion it does not take well to bits added on to the body for appearance.

I eventually spotted a nice - sounding 480 for sale in the 'Irish Times' newspaper. It was a garage in Dublin ... Tom Canavan Motors ( main Volvo dealer ). The price was a little beyond me ( 4,500 euro ) but I rang up anyway. Sure enough, it was gone. As the guy said "Good ones don't hang about long". Quite true.

Seven months passed, and one day I happened to buy a trade magazine in my local garage. I browsed through the Volvo section thinking it would be in vain ( again! - I was getting used to it! ) and sure enough, there was a nice 480s: black, with nice original alloys. As the seller lived locally, off I went!

It turned out to be the very same car that I had missed earlier. This guy had bought it, got married, and was now driving a Fiat Punto. As he put it "the 480 is a bit impractical" ( lol! ). Damp boot was in evidence, so he knocked a bit off the price for that. I ended up coming away with it for 1,800 euro. Because of an insurance mix - up I had to wait until the next day to get it home. I was like a kid on Christmas night waiting for Santa to arrive!

Since then the car has only done 11,000 miles. It had 60k. when I bought it, and we're now almost at 71k. I've never had a single problem with the car, other than the bootleak, and the immobilizer ( I could have sorted that easily with the fob ... ) The electrics? Well, they don't work, basically, and I don't care. The petrol 'idiot' light works, as does the temp. gauge, so that's all I care about. The car actually runs well, which is the main thing.

It took years to cure the leak: sunroof ( out twice ), back windows ( twice ) back lights ... you name it ... they've all been out and refitted with mastic sealant. The problem turned out to be the ( perfect looking ) boot seal. I really enjoy my 480. The way I look at it is this. Italian classics have style and character by the bucketload, but they are much more temperemental than the 480. The 480 has character, and could have come straight out of Pinninfarina. It looks brilliant.

What's more, the 'boxy' rear end design has made a comeback! Many makers - Citroen, Seat and Ford spring to mind - have gone back to that look. Okay, the car is a rough diamond, but it's not THAT rough! I've noticed in recent year that the remaining examples seem to have disappeared too. I get a great thrill out of the interest my 480 generates on garage forecourts as well ... everyone wants to know "What is it?"!

It took a while ( 1986 - 2008 ) to reach motoring nirvana, but it's been worth it! Incidentally, the heavy / day to day work is reserved for my 150,000 mile (1994) 440 ... another great car.

Regards,

Anthony
When all is said and done, there's nothing more to say or do.

ahal
480 Newbie

Good idea!

Post by ahal » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:19 am

Would be good fun Colm! :D I've noticed there's about 30 of us registered on here, didn't think there were that many Irish owners :shock:

Cheers,

Anthony.
When all is said and done, there's nothing more to say or do.