The unnamed 480

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Jimmy
Started learning about 480

The unnamed 480

Post by Jimmy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:48 pm

Every day I drive past a fairly large Ford main dealer in the town where I work and normally have a quick look at their part exchange cars while I wait for the train to pass (they are right next to a level crossing). About three weeks ago a flame red 480ES appeared and at the time I thought ‘Hmm, haven’t seen one of those in ages, it looks cool’.

For the next week or so I drove past it twice a day and kept looking and thinking ‘that really is a good looking car’. Eventually I gave in and stopped at the garage to have a look at it (I used the excuse that I was right next to it anyway, in the queue for the level crossing). It looked in really good condition from the outside, so I went to the sales office and asked to look inside. Again, it was very clean and looked great. I spoke to SWMBO who immediately said ‘NO, you only bought your Mondeo in July’ and that was that.

Two days later we were both sat in it test driving it around some Dorset lanes. I was loving it, my wife said it rattled too much and why was I changing to a much older car.

Another three days later I was sat in the sales office signing the paperwork for it.

I picked it up last Friday and spent the weekend giving it a wash and a coat of polish (between the showers). Then my boss kindly despatched me to Slough via Trowbridge on Monday, covering 250 miles and making it all dirty again. To cap it off I had to quote for a structural survey of a steel building in a gravel quarry on Tuesday, so after that it looked more beige than maroon!

It is a bit cleaner now, and the few days I have had it have allowed me to draw up a (long) wishlist of things to do, first of which is to think of a suitable name for it.

For now, here are a few photos of my as yet unnamed new pride and joy:

Provided the weather is reasonable this weekend I plan to take the doorcards off and try to eradicate some really annoying rattles. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:58 pm

An update so soon!

Just ordered two new heater control knobs from my local main dealer. They will be ready to collect tomorrow morning! Excellent.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:03 am

I spoke to my local main dealer again at 10.30 this morning and ordered a new set of front indicators/sidelight clusters. £71.44 for the pair, and I can pick them up this afternoon!

Going to be a busy weekend I think.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Well my plans to get the lights fitted tok a little longer than planned. I finally fitted them at lunchtime in the car park - I got a few odd looks from people in my building!

Anyway, it was a nice easy job to do and the car now looks much better.

I also had a quick go a T-Cutting one of the rear clusters. A small section is looking a bit better - I will finish a whole cluster off later and get some glass polish on there to see how well it comes up. Pictures will follow if it looks any good.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Well, it has been ages since I posted, mainly due to my work laptop being rebuilt and the 'new' version not getting on with this site too well.

Since I last posted a fair few things have happened with the 480, not many of which are good.

1. I got in the car one day and went to grab the seatbelt and CRACK, the arm sheared off right up against the door pillar. To cap it off, a few days later I managed to shut the clip in the door and crack the little roller off too.

2. My passenger got in the car and more or less repeated the above, but managed to snap the arm at the pivot joint.

3. Both of my DRLs have managed to let water in and are seriously misted up

4. The plastic slider behind the heater control knobs now moves of its own accord and is giving a good view of the internals of the dash through the gap it has created

5. It has covered about 4,000 trouble free (mechanically, obviously excluding the above) miles and has been a joy to drive. I still love it, even if the plastic interior trim seems to be failing on a weekly basis.

Now I have sorted out my PC I will try to update a bit more often.