Some episodes from the life of my 480

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Van
480 Connoisseur

Re: Some episodes from the life of my 480

Post by Van » Sat May 31, 2014 6:03 am

While driving into town I met a Google camera car. I'm curious I've I'll see my car on streetview someday.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:13 am

Last week during warm weather I drove off with my windows open and I heard a squeaking noise, like you hear when the brakes hit the disks. But then a bit later I noticed I heard it while just having parked the car. The source soon became apparent, under the bonnet, near or at the timing belt. Well it had been replaced only recently so I was a little uncomfortable maybe a roller would be faulty. I phoned my workshop and discussed it and they considered I would be able to return home with it.

I made an appointment -I had planned anyway for an oil service- and yesterday dropped off the car. It turned out both the belts for the auxiliary equipment were worn. The smaller belt was partially split in the length. So they were replaced and I asked if this couldn't have been noticed during replacement of the timing belt. But they weren't taken off then and just by glance may have looked ok. And there was no squeaking noise then.

Well those belts lasted at least the nine years I own the car I think, I can't remember I had them replaced before, or I have to look it up.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:40 pm

It was back to the workshop now because of a rasp noise. It appears at about 2000 to 3000 rpm, while driving and more when throttle is pushed. I was not able to reproduce it stationary, or only minimal. The mechanic found a loose rubber on the exhaust, and both sides were replaced, but this did not solve the rasp noise. It is sort of a sporting sound and funny for a moment but it will get tiring.
Since we couldn't find it and the mechanic who worked on the auxiliary belts wasn't in, the mechanic considered no immediate danger and I should return next week.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:09 pm

Another visit to the workshop and another probable source for the noise found. The car was lifted and carefully inspected. The mechanic found little heat shields on top of the two little mufflers in about the center of the exhaust to be 'singing'. He made a few spot-welds to fix them into position and I made a small run with the car. Alas, after a short while the noise appeared again. It is likely it is in, at or near the exhaust, because when I drive off with a cold engine, it's not appearing, but after a short while it comes up. The same effect was with the test drives, the exhaust had cooled down more or less, and the noise was less, then as soon as the exhaust could have been warmed, it starts again. Anyway, we're stuck right now, and I was sent off without being charged for the work and to come back later .. if it maybe gets worse. Maybe if look at it with a fresh mind we'll see things missed before.

Slash01
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Slash01 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:08 pm

soz to post this in your diary thread but the problem could be a hairline crack in the exhaust, that is closed when it's cold but expands when the exhaust heats up causing the noise.
Just a suggestion, but I've experienced it before on a mk3 Renault Clio.
There are always ample warnings and there are always subtle signs,
And you would have seen them coming but we gave you too much time.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:19 pm

Slash01 I appreciate your comment, it crossed my mind more then once. But, shouldn't it then also be heard when just revving without the drive-line connected? Anyway, I noticed two things today, when cruising at about 60mph it is audible in the background, comes more apparent when pushing the throttle. More important, while driving I tried some things and noticed the noise while revving to over 5000rpm with the clutch disengaged. If I can reproduce this at the workshop we may come closer to the solution.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:51 pm

The noise was much less today, I had a hard time reproducing it. When I arrived at the workshop the men were have a break. After the break I drove off with a mechanic to get the engine warm again. The 2000-3000rpm rattle was not apparent. But finally, I could let the mechanic hear the 5000+ rpm noise. For investigation, me and the car were lifted and up I performed the revving again. This was just pumping the pedal, like boy racers do. I've never done that before in my live. It's a weird experience going up with the car. Anyway, after a few minutes I was asked to do it again and then we were let down again. Curiously, while being up I could not hear the noise. I think this is due to the noise not being reflected by the road surface. But the mechanics did, and they concluded it was the 2nd center muffler. According to them it has to be an inside partition that has come loose and caused the noise. This explains why it was audible when driving and not while revving -unless hi up the revs: then there was just more exhaust gas pressure.

Anyway, it's nothing to serious and it may go away, as it did mostly now. It may also return but it's gotta be real bad before I'm replacing the mufflers, they're not that old.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am

An unpleasant surprise this morning, a flat tire. There was a large screw in it. Actually Wednesday I had the idea to have hit something when coming from a roundabout so this was it. So wheel off, space-saver on and to the workshop. Luckily they were able to repair the tire and hopefully it stays like that. It's only about a year old so it should be a waste to have to replace it.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:36 am

Hi Van
It seems You have been struck by bad luck. I hope it all work out for You :)

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:20 am

That's exactly how I feel ChrisDK, thanks.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 pm

The Dutch Tardis had been driving less pleasant recently. Also the rattle from the rear axle had increased a lot.
With a little test I concluded that the rear shock absorbers are shot and they needed immediate replacement.
The car was drive-able that but rather unpleasant as said because of the rear end being in a constant motion.
Also the cornering had suffered, less eager and more under-steer.
At an internet supplier I bought the cheapest shocks and little stabilizer linkages. I had my workshop fit them. It is not a really big job but I just can't handle it here.

Just went to pickup the car and when I returned one of my neighbors brought to my attention my left side daytime driving light was not working properly.
So I decided to replace light bulb immediately. When removing the light cluster it became apparent the front of the daytime light was nearly off and partially cracked. The plastic was all brittle and came off entirely and I had to find a fix for that. I cleaned it and tried with instant glue. I had used benzine for cleaning and it does show on the glass or rather plastic so don't do that. I think the crack will be done with that, if the glass will stay on the light cluster has to been seen. I'll allow the glue a day to dry before checking.

One more unlucky event is, the speedo is having more and more time-outs. It can take to long now for the needle to move and if it works from a start it may drop after a while. This is for as much as I know an electrical problem inside the speedo. It may be fixed with just re-soldering. The odometer and the info-center work fine. I remember information on the subject has been posted so I need to find that first, or maybe someone remembers where to look?

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:17 am

The glued front of the daytime driving light is still in place. The new shocks are settled, at first they felt kind of edgy, now they are as comfortable or uncomfortable as a 480 is. This is a car that does keep you in touch with the road surface.

Two months to go before the APK (MOT) expires. I hope the rusty rear wing does not give me problems.

On a warm September day, I had made a trip over the Afsluitdijk -a 20 mile dike in the middle of the sea- and there were so many mosquito's, I had to wipe them of the window using the screen-washer while driving and at the other side, the front was grey from being covered with the mosquito's. Here's where the extra treat with wax pays off, washed off briefly at the fuel station, and next day at home the rest without to much problems.
Put a new coat of wax on the front, bonnet and roof. Only have the sides left to do.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:55 am

The Volvo went up for the APK (MOT). A couple of times I checked the expiration date at the RDW (DVLA) and when it had changed to 2015 I was happy to got off without big problems. Then suddenly a phone call: the workshop. Problems. After finishing the test they drove the car out and found oil on the floor. Turns out the steering rack had gone leak. Possible from moving/turning the wheels during the test. Probably just a seal but these things can't be fixed.

New steering racks are very expensive. Revision doesn't come cheap either. After internet search and phone calls I found one at a Volvo service who had a scrap car. They will remove it and ship it to my workshop. It will be a long week for me without the car and the prospect of a considerable bill.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:16 pm

For the totals cost of a nice flat-screen TV the Volvo is back home with a 'new' steering box. I understand it came from a Turbo, so now I have turbo steer!

It's a case of bad luck, I talked it over with a technician from the automobile club and the workshop can not be blamed. The steering box must have been bad already. The good thing is, it didn't happen on the road and I did find another steering box quickly.

ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Good to hear You are back on the road, did you get the APK?

Chris

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:38 pm

While I am spending a couple of days at my cousin the car has to be parked uncovered. In the rain. Days of never ending pouring rain. When I opened the boot lid water was running on the inside, and the spare-wheel-bin-newspapers were soaked. Looks like the rear window is at least partly responsible for the leakage. I will try to check the wire connection which I had locked with silicon but maybe not good enough or it has worn.

I was able to fuel in Germany for the lowest cost in many years: €1,34 per liter.
Driving to my cousin with my new steering was ok, but at about 130kph I experienced some vibration getting stronger at higher speeds. Looks like one of the front wheels got unbalanced. Or maybe lost a weight.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:05 pm

By Dutch tradition the duty on fuel is raised by January first, so I had topped up just before. It's curious that lately the computer indicated average fuel consumption is worse then my calculated kilometers divided by liters. As it always was the other way, the computer was slightly optimistic. Anyway I could have saved me the trouble as I just noticed the price of fuel has gone down another two cents...

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:24 pm

The replaced car cover I reported about on Sun Apr 13, 2014 has already started to deteriorate. The part on the driver side mirror has become see through and it wouldn't be long before it would tear apart. Also some rain water would go through it and the car would get a bit wet. So I went to the car-parts store to talk it over. They were going to discuss it with the manufacturer and I would be phoned soon. The upcoming week, no phone-call. But many days of stormy weather, and I didn't put the cover on, it might be teared apart.

Today while in town I dropped in at the car-parts store and they gave me a choice of two solutions: I could get my money back, or a better car cover with paying for the difference only. I gladly accepted the latter. I did not expect such a noble service, after all, I had first purchased the car cover just over two years ago.
The new cover is made from a lot heavier an thicker material, and also has some soft inside lining. Instead of two now there are four openings at the bottom to secure it.
I hope it will last longer and I that the car will stay dry under it.

I think I wrote it before but the main reason for using the cover apart from keeping the inside dry is to keep the paint in good condition. Without protection from the sun the red will fade in no-time and I would have to give a full Meguiars treatment every three months.

Talking about the inside, the passenger front foot-well now has been dry for a long time, by magic the water has stopped penetrating there. At the back though it's the same sad story, using newspapers to absorb the incoming water.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 pm

I noticed some photo's that I hosted on Imageshack are missing. I wasn't aware they have an expiration date on them when I upped them. These placeholders make the topic look less well-cared-for and I should fix it. I may dig them up and put them in my Photobucket account but this job has a low priority on my to do list.

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:35 am

Spring is a good moment to give the interior a thorough cleaning, and so I did. With a clean interior, the car is a much nicer place to be in.

I've also been working on several nags. From the floor mats, the rings to secure them on the floor get loose and eventually get off. I had earlier secured the drivers side floor mat with double stick tape. Now the passenger side floor mat had one ring off and one close to getting off. Because the openings in the floor mat are worn out it's not really possible to tighten them again. Now I have tried to seal them into position with silicon as a solution. I only had transparent silicon at hand and went for the quick-and-dirty way but if you use black silicon this could be a very neat work around not all to visible. Put the floor mat on a piece of cling film while working on it, silicon does not stick to that.

Then there is some wind noise coming from the passenger door. I noticed the gap where the door meets the A-pillar was a bit wide, wider then on the drivers side door. So with help from an acquaintance I tried to adjust the door. This wasn't to big a success. We didn't have the right feel at that moment I guess. The problem is, you have to loosen the bolts on the pillar a bit, then while still open wiggle the door into what you think is the right direction, tighten the bolts, then close the door and see if the position is bettered and the gaps less. At least that's how I do it but if someone has a better plan please share. Anyway the gap was marginally smaller, but the wind noise I experienced during a drive on the motorway as increased, so this needs another try.

The front license plate holder once was damaged by someone and I had thought it might be a good idea to just remove it and put the license plate with it's surround directly on to the front bumper. But I was unable to loosen the two screws that hold the license plate holder. I can't see it but maybe they connect into metal and are rusted?

The engine always would start on turn of the key, but for a few months now it just would not catch on and I had to give it a little throttle on a cold start. I thought it would be a good idea to change the spark plugs. I also cleaned the connectors from the cables, one had some stain on it. The plugs were certainly due, the cars gives a far more livelier response to the throttle while driving, but the cold start is still not turn key. Since a little throttle is needed I think maybe it just needs a little more mixture. I am open for any tips or I will have to consult the workshop.

Finally while loading the boot I cracked the top of the center cover between the lights. I also fixed this with silicon. During the recent stormy and windy days I left the car without the cover. To save the cover. When I checked, the boot was dry! So I am having a little hope, not to much, that this may have helped stopping the water coming in.