Quick decline into the life of a 480 owner

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Re: Quick decline into the life of a 480 owner

Post by doingitsideways » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Holy cr@p Jim!...

Now I understand the Dr. Who avatar!!

Steve :hopping:
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical fault!"
Hammers can't fix a 480!!!

jamesy12345
480 Veteran

Post by jamesy12345 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 pm

:lol: shed must be bigger on the inside
Current:
Volvo S60 '04
Renault 21 '91
Subaru Legacy '05
Mazda RX-7 '93
Renault 5 '84

Previous:
440 2 litre, 440 Turbo, 460 Turbo, 480 Turbo x2, 854 T-5R, S40 T4, V40 T4, S70 T5 & R, V70 R x2, S60 R

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:35 pm

No the shed is just well packed .

Been an interesting time in recent weeks . Got an SOS from a local forum member looking for a drivers side window has a vandal had broken the one on the 480. I was only contacted on the outside chance I had a spare :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Funnily enough I had 1 or 2 lying in the shed of maximum density so 1 hour later the next day the window was fitted. ;)
Felt good about that. Work is picking up now so quite busy plus the forum pm system is not functioning too well :wall: .
Commuting to work virtually everyday now by my second love - :roll: :bla: :crazy: bicycle . Makes you appreciate the 480 when you get back behind the wheel. :D

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:41 pm

glasgowjim wrote:the shed of maximum density
Yay, it's stuck!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Woo Hoo straight through , my 21 year old Biffo flew through his MOT today only needed a front tyre and a rear number plate bulb.

Big plus NO advisories :hopping: :hopping:

Really pleased especially as it only cost me £44.95p in total.

Rock on big buddy :hopping: :hopping:

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Last weekend fixed a badly botched garage "fix" on popups . Took a couple of hours but it was worth it to get another sick 480 back to full working order. The car is now 100% again even has a better set of front clusters as well. To be fair the garage tried their best when they didnt know about 480's and did get the car through its mot but its a pity i didnt get to it before they did :D

Its great meeting other 480 owners.

parked 4 nights ago in ADSA car park and was walking to the entrance and there it was a pristine condition white 480 2 ltr the owners bf spoke to us and when we came out the driver had parked beside our car so we had a good chat so thats another 480 in my neck of the woods :hopping:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Woo Hoo just realised I have broken through the 4000 posts barrier :bla: :bla: :bla:

Plus its been a while since I had a clean sweep of all 5 recent threads posted :rofl:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Damn Sunday was a bloody bad day in fact a totally wonderously crap day a disaster of epic proportions day the only bright bit of it was I survived the shock of totally giving myself a horrendous and until that point unecessary mega pile of work I dont want to do.

Managed to put 2 volvo 480s off the road within 20 minutes of each other on Sunday. Bloody hell sometimes I feel its not worth getting up in the morning :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood: :badmood:

got it :angry:

I started to change to spark plugs on my own car when I snapped one of the plugs. okay a plug short no problem take one off my daugthers car which is waiting for me to change the clutch over. tried the first plug too tight then the second then third so went to the fourth and damn me I WAS going to loosen it WOOHOO so I tried with no success ah I thought not strong enough need leverage as the bankers say. OOPS BAD move guess what happened next the spark plug did movebut only the core and the knurled part which came neatlyb away from the block leving the threaded part firmply in the block . pics to follow . So now it looks like I will have to take the block off and take it to an engineering shop to remove the offending spark plugs. On top of that the dog had a little accident in th early hours of this morning and muggins stood on it. Sometimes you just feel like getting a gun and giving the car both barrels at close range but with my luck I would miss.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Latest pics of the mancave (aka garage)

Was given a 480 a few days ago .....

so 480 central nows looks good again...

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 pm

well it is bin day :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Heck dont know how many times I have to flag this up but I am not a business or a garage just a very keen 480 enthusiast.

Still rant over I feel sooo much better now ...

... that was until I discovered that the car has a security bolt on all the wheels and hey ho you guessed it I dont have the socket for them :rofl: life dont you just love it :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Emma the previuos owner found the security bolt the next day so problem solved . I was swithering about what to do with the car (SKI) but the solution just happened in the shape of car tax + an exhaust for biffo so last night I swopped over the insurance to ski and the wife got a duplicate tax disc for me :D .

So I will be keeping ski on the road and fixxing up all those little things that can go wrong ;)

like driving to work in him this morning for the first time and the indicators died as did the rear wash wipe and the intermittent wiper function. Oh well it was to good to be true I suppose :shock:

Still took 2 hours checking all the possibilities and the rest of the electrics and it was as suspected a case of dead CEm so swopped over the cem from biffo and all's well again.

It was annoying as i had spent Sunday removing the carpet and washing it out as well as dumping the sound insulatioin underneath. . Last night I changed all the alloys over from biffo to ski not quite F1 standard but still quite good time . I am convinced that the neighbours must think I am mad or running a small business on the side :nuts:

In the process of going to make a how to but photobucket wont let me copy the img its really annoying. But driving a 2ltr is just so much smoother than a 1.7 :wall: its putting a smile on my face again :hopping:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:13 am

Having replaced the CEM then two days later the engine made a funny niose but as I was rushing to work I thought nothing of it until 1 kilometre down the road the battery totally died. So back up the road with a dead battery stuck on charger and 90 mins later stuck it back in car and away I went with the battery charger in boot just in case. Well having charged the battery up for 4 hours at work I stuck it in the car and damn me the car wouldnt start and the neg terminal of battery was really warm and then I felt the starter motor solenoid and yes it was even hotter. well to cut a long story short after 30 minsutes faffing about I bump started it with the help of 2 other people. Got safely home had supper then out to change the starter motor. The S motor was gone (well the solenoid bit ) so in the bin it went , and I fitted a virtually new spare I had lying around damn did it not do the same . Realised that the ignition system was jamming on and the starter motor was keeping turning. Had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop ! So I fitted a manual starter button bypassing any relays. I had a suspicion about a blue bmw :kill: relay fitted behind the glove box as it was not original and was fitted when a remote locking/alarm was added and I had to remove 5 or so years ago. That got me through today safely. So tonight I got the trusty multimeter out and checked out the blue relay and yes it was faulty so after double checking the wiring I replaced the relay with a spare :lol: volvo one ;) and disassembled the starter button . car nows starts the way it was meant to. Oh and before that an elderly neighbour asked me to charge up a car battery so a quick job I thought oh no its not an audi with very limited acces and a special tools to remove the battery clamp so 30 minutes later 2 extension cables some rubber matting and the battery was getting charged in the car. Gee a busy night tomorrow will photgraph interior to show you the state of the car before I reassemble everything. Well thats my weekend spoken for ...... :nuts:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:48 pm

Cant believ I havent posted up in a couple of months but work has been unbelieveably hectic :wall:

Well SKI graduated all the way upto an EOL volvo. The clutch burnt out and then I did that most terrible of things took a small screwdriver and started to poke at a bit of rust in the boot :nuts: surprise it went straight through so I started in the rest of the boot and a big chunk of the floor - the inaccessible bit above the fuel tank was rotten . Well that put me in a great frame of mind so then went at the arches it was quickly obvious the whole of the back floor of the car was rotten in chunks all over the place.

So add that to the cost of welding up the rear arches and a new clutch. then it was beyond economical repair. :cryhard:

It had to be recycled ;)

On sunday I bought a 480 on ebay and collected it yesterday arrived home this morning at 5 am having set out at 2.50 the day before. :D Averaged 47.9 on the way home not bad for a 2 ltr. Wife checked it out a couple of hours ago and she is happy with it soo now that the sun is beating down it is time to strip it out and give it a good clean and then refit with a leather upholstery/interior. Thinking very carefully about how to remove the cruise control have printed off the fitting instructions from the homepage and read through :wink:

Still enough of the keyboard bashing now is the time to get out there and give Kermit a facelift . The previous called the car Muppet due to its reg number but my line manager is a muppet so it has to be renamed => Kermit.
The previuos owner was very nice and a real credit to EBAY , thats the way it should always be! (And the mum makes a killer mug of coffee - nice genuine people. So folks thats another 480 gone north of the wall before independence :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So it looks like my daily driver biffo Image
will be prepped for sale very soon!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:58 pm

480 central now looks like this...
and kermit has been stripped down carpet washed seats removed ready to be replaced by a full set of leathers
and after 2 busy days and less than 3 hours sleep I am going to crawl into bed as tomorrows a busy day.
Image :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:19 am

well on Thursday have replaced the now dry and clean carpet and have only the passenger seat to replace and the facia /doorcards . Oh and the roof lining to wipe down. Moonroof to remove and clean + rear lights to sort out as they are really really grey and semi mangled then have to wash car and if its not to windy respray the red leaded paint work. Still the sun is shining on Costa Clyde so signing off for today ! :D

Captain Slow
480 Expert

Post by Captain Slow » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:52 pm

The white car infront of your garage is in the stripping position, no?
(just wondering how the door bottoms are :lol: )
Previously....
Whitney - 95 N White celebration No.449/480 now with Ladyforatey
Lula - 94 M Volvo 480GT Sold on...
Daphne - 95 M volvo 440si 1.8 73,000K (sold :()

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:02 am

No Capt slow that car is waiting for a head replacement + clutch to be done have been putting off the cluthc for nearly 18 months now ! Took Kermit out for a day to the coast at Troon (wife n dogs as well lol) finally got the chance to try /test the cruise control was a bit of a weird feeling at first but soon got used to it . :lol: Yes I like it after all and it works perfectly.

Well went to get Biffo moted then prepped for sale but he failed on two indicator bulbs not orange enough :o . Plus a tie rod end to be replaced along with a rear wish bone bush. Not bad for a 22 year old car. So guess what I am spending my time on today :lol:

With luck I should be started and finished today.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:19 pm

well tie rod end was easy cant say the same for the front wishbone , rain started and I had to stop until tomorrow. :wall:

Still I found another spare window regulator :hopping: in the SMD

doingitsideways
480 Expert

Post by doingitsideways » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:26 pm

glasgowjim wrote:in the SMD
The name's still stuck then?! :hopping: