Quick decline into the life of a 480 owner

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:53 pm

sorted up the 340 but the wife had turned against it so after piles of fruitless persuasion I gave up and sold it.
The Ovlov god was angry and so kerries cars rear engine mount decided to shear off. so wih 2 jacks and an axle stand I removed the pieces and then ordered a spare from the breakers and refitted in a couple of hours yesterday. Car now back on road in first class running order. Oh and earlier in week I sorted up an other owner wih a set of locks and fitted them . Only the ignition to do later.

Getting more and more competant working on these beautiful little cars.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 pm

Bugger shouldnt have been so damn smug on the last post :cryhard:

On last day of term driving to work and the front os suspension started grinding on every bump . Steering ok spring not broken so what was it ????

the front anti roll bar had torn off of its mounting below the servo unit.

Looks like an expensive repair will investigate a bit more when the black mood of impending poverty has lifted. Cant find any tolls in garage which is littered with stuff getting pissed off , thinking about putting in a replacement plate and double bolting it down but access is a problem , this might well be an engine out job.

Not a happy bunny just now :cryhard: :cryhard: :cryhard:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:33 pm

Just consoled myself with a quick change of daughters ICV and a handbrake cable and a brake caliper adjustment. Magic working on a 480 gets it all out your system.

Feel as if I am getting somewhere at last. :D Smiling again. :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:35 pm

Peter's gt needed some work done for its mot (went o a cheep and cheerful £14.99p mot place) so so far have replaced a drop link at front , spent he best part of today changing a cv gaiter - first time I have done the job! Looked up the how to section , but the volvo parts wont stretch so off came the hub. I relied on the HBOL for he first time ever and it was ok . cant be;lieve I said that . so tomorrow will sort out exhaust , change wipers check lambda adjust handbrake and book it in to volvomax. :D

Another smiling day :D :D :D :D :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:19 pm

got my car back after it was weeks in garage long story but was not charged the full rate on job so things balance out I am a real happy bunny now. car was filthy so washed it and it was still disgushing so t cut and autoglym later its whiteyness shines through once again.

happy days .......

met derek again (another 480 enthusiast) who picked up a gearbox. Was so funny the neighbour who threatened to tell the council on me for breaking the odd 480 on the street outside house had to slow down to negotiate her car slowly through the all the 480s including dereks her face was tripping her- talk about petted lip made my day :lol:

Derek has a seriously nice turbo metallic black vroom vroom :D

really nice to chat with other owners.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:55 am

well it certainly is a funny old world just spotted a car that I sold on over 18 months ago on sale in Pistonheads . This car has just gone up and up in value :lol:

I bought for £160 in newcastle with a ripped out interior , refitted the interior and sold on as a standard Gt with a short mot for just over £500 now its on at £1845 :D

made my day

:hopping:

He owner has done a lot of ICE work to the car and obviously taken real good care of it. It gladens the heart to see a mal treated 480 just get better and better with each new owner :D

ps still think it is a shame about the reggie number TWT :rofl:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:18 pm

Just gone and bought another 480 :hopping:

Blacky skippy's evil twin :lol: has a misfire at low revs need to see if it can be sorted but very pleased with it bought with a view to breaking for spares but it is in such a good condition that I am having serious 2nd thoughts about breaking. All depends on solving the misfire problem will need to sleep on it then investigate it tomorrow . Oh the excitement of all :rofl:

Wonder when my moaning neighbour will notice another 480 and pass comment ;)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:59 pm

have spent a couple of days fiddling about with the car now am going to break it up. Have now the chance to restock the spares cupboard again :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Been thinking a lot about breaking the black 480 and how to get the maximum amount of spares from it.

having a sloping driveway is a total bummer but hey my winter week is comming up soon so if my moany neighbour goes away for the week yipee I will strip the car down to nothing and get it lifted fast. Other than that I will have to devise some safe cheap and cheerful way to level the car at the top of the driveway and remove the front suspension and the subframe and the steering rack and everything else :rofl:

Met Stuart again another 480 owner from Fife had a great evening chatting about 480's

Discovered the snow had started in Northern Finland just in time for the moose season at the weekend (thanks Heikki).

Dont you just love this forum there are so many really decent people on it. :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 am

started breaking the car "Blacky" have to think carefully about the sequence of stripping. :D so have been taking off the non essential interior. exhaust next.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:08 pm

Nice sunny day today but couldnt get started until about 2pm so the car was in the shade and the temperature was not so high still not raining so changed the rear os brake caliper. An easy job for once :D Now just need to check for a dodgy front engine mount suspect that its the one under the alternator. Still will be swopping over the alternator soon anyway.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:54 pm

Took Skippy daughters 480 for an mot it failed but on sensible stuff:

mounting bushes NS + OS front , brake hose , one brake pipe and a split CV gaiter.

So ordered a new pair of wishbones and hose so will do all this stuff myself. But as luck would have it rain heavy at times today so couldnt get started so I reckon it will be just the one wishbone replaced tomorrow .
Still it eventually got me off my lazy butt and so I have ordered a 2 tonne engine hoist from an ebay company so rock and roll the black car will have its engine and bearbox whipped out , driveshafts all engine mounts mesa happy bunny.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

An expensive weekend but who cares :nuts:

Will spend the rest of the evening moving stuff from garage to shed now that son has taken his 125cc away :hopping:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:16 pm

So much for garage men!

The split CV gaiter turned out to be just one that had slipped off the hub :hopping:

Still changed over one lower suspension arm and used my torque wrench for the first time magic.

Only another side + brakes to do. :lol:

tired but well pleased with myself. :lol:

next day : checked email looks like the engine hoist will arrive tomorrow Yipee there will be no stopping me now (unless the damn neighbour starts still as long as its on my property and I dont spill fluids all over the place she can do nothing) :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Well a 50/50 day started badly picked up in the middle and bombed out at night. . Took car out early before work and fan would not go off so battery died :cryhard:

Okay next thing got the engine hoist so thats a plus. then went out after tea tonight to swop over the radiator sensor for fan except had to take nosecone off to do it plus the cars got bloody air con which is a waste of time in glasgow :shock:

So no room to do anything , air con pipes in the road all the time then it started to pelt down with rain. Had to stop , an hour later reassembled car and disconnected the fan motor. :lol:

Now have to set the info centre to stun :lol: no sorry to engine temp. :lol:

and tomorrow will decide what to do everything is now backing up for me :?
front wishbone to change , .
remove aircon was going to anyway
fix sensor
build up hoist and remove engine
tow car onto road and put on home made ramp remove brake pipe and put on skippy for mot
change tyres
get mot.

Oh the joys of a 480 I am spoiled for choice. :rofl: :rofl:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:35 pm

Well I spent a couple of hours assembling a 2 tonne engine hoist :D
the assembley diagram was tiny and the bolt sizes didnt match the contents list . The written instructions were in chinese english !

still nil desperandum....

got it finished just have to tighten bolts up and operate the piston a few times as instructed.

next stop engine out Fri/Sat

:hopping: :hopping: :hopping:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Friday came and gone but now both wishbones (front suspension arms ) fitted . by Sat night , although it dark and raining thought just take it out for a spin and check all ok. Damn forgot to remove spring compressors. :angry:

So in a bad mood started to remove but as usual one slipped and the spring did not seat correctly on the top rubber. So first thing today I sorted this out and went for a test drive really pleased . Then before the rain started had a good look at the brake pipe that was to be replaced with one from the scrap car. The rain then started in earnest and as the night fell it was driving heavy rain with a high wind , further work impossible. So cleared front end of garage out for the engine removal. Tightened all the bolts on hoist and purged system of air.

Then took wife shopping to asda let her go and get all the stuff while I listened to the radio in the car park and watched the heavy rain highlighted against the car park lights :) Then started car turned on headlights and popups didnt budge :angry: too dark wet and windy to do anything so lrange lights on and drove straight home . Checked all fuses and nothing untoward found :angry:
So no popups and no drls either. I reckon it is just jealousy as the other 480 was getting all the attention. ;)
So one thing off the list another on.

" hours later and the rains off , surprise surprise the popups now work I give up :shock:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:43 pm

Well first early evening with no rain so finished work early went straught home and removed nose cone took out the black aircon cylinder next to battery pulled out the radiator far enough to get at the temperature sensor then after some faffing about managed to remove and replace the sensor. refilled radiator and tested , everything working but I slipped fell on the headlamp and trashed 2 hinges , replaced and put on the headlamp cover but because it was sooo dark and late I misaligned it , tested headlamps and trashed another 2 hinges HO HUM :badmood:

carefully replaced and realigned now car worjing aok. Next task tomorrow remove brake hose and replace , book car for mot on Sunday. Then in the interim remove enigine and gearbox from the car I am breaking. Busy weekend ahead hope it stays dry. ;)

Aircon is also to be removed from my car and replaced with a standard heater :D More fun than waking up on a naturist beach :rofl:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:07 pm

Well today swept out garage and rolled car into the front half jacked right up and axle stands positioned . Removed the brake pipe but have hit the corroded connector problem. , daughter went out in my car and got nowhere the popups refused to popup ! so a quick switch of car and off she went. 30 mins later got phone call car woudnt start - flat battery so off I went with the spare battery and hey presto back on road. :D

So onto the popup problem checked all fuses nothing there so whipped off the relays cover and removed headlamp relay. Out came the magic wire and I made various connections both popups moved up and down so wiring+ motors are ok. Swopped over circular switch still no joy replaced dip dim switch still nothing . .The drls are off , idicators are ok but as its now nearly 23;00 hours and the temperature has dropped to -1 degrees I am giving up for the night. It must be the drls that hold the key to the problem :(

Well its now Sunday and have managed to solve all my strange popup problems. On Friday night had removed one ddl and forgot about it on Sat. morning (as you do) so that triggered the problems on Saturday night . In a frenzy of checking fuses I managed to remove one and forget to put it back in so fuse 19 was missing only noticed it before starting to dismantle the car :angry:
So one fuse and ddl bulb later the car is back on the road all fully functional.
In between that I have removed the brake pipe from the breaker car and about to remove and second half of the brake pipe from Kerrries car but have run out of time. :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:23 pm

brake pipe removed and the replacement part had seized about the end nut so had to trash it measured the length of old pipe and went to Kwik Fit and they made one short length up for me for nothing . :D However it was the wrong pipe so went to ATS and they made up a new longer front section , so On friday night put on back half and on Saturday morning I replaced the front section , screwed everything up tight and then got wife to help bleed the brakes :lol: .

The CV gaiter is now secured. and I have ordered 2 new budget tyres which will be fitted prior to the mot. So fingers crossed everything will be OK this time. Spent best part of sunday christmas shopping in town with wife :angry:

Amazing that some people actually spend their lives shopping and enjoy it they must be mad or female :shock: Still thats me done with town shopping for about another 3 months so I cant complain really :lol:

Now the long term plan is to wait until Christmas holiday and then remove the aircon from the celebration sort out the power steering and fully replace the dashboard and heater etc.

Must also sort out asap the broken safety latch/hinge on the door and replace Kerries alternator .

:hopping:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:53 pm

well a hectic day today managed to squeeze in an mot and 2 new tyres in my afternoon christmas shopping. Passed with flying colours. :hopping:

but not before throwing a strop and flashing its abs light at me so took off dash removed instrument panel and removed bulb , reassembled in only 5 minutes in car park. :lol:

now I have the weekend to look forward too and a backlog of stuff to strip off price and post. ;)