Quick decline into the life of a 480 owner

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Quick decline into the life of a 480 owner

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:56 pm

Crazy young daughter saved up some money and got herself a duff 480 , spotted a really neat one for 295 in London on ebay so dad (me) dispatched to london via megabus 10 bum numbing hours later ended up at victoria tubed to kings cross and then to potters bar drove home arrived glasgow 2.30am Mon to start work at 9 am. Son got some cash and bought a turbo from groomus. Guess who got to take the train to peterborough me :D . Seen more of Engerland going for 480s than any other time ! The duff car was stripped down and cubed (no more room in garage for me sob!. Spent the rest of my time sorting out various problems as they arose on sons 480 . Wasnt helped by his idiot driving ! Only told me about problems when the damn car stopped. So nothing new spent the wettest jan drowning while trying to strip/sort cars. Still could dodge the wife and the relentless bloody shopping trips to ASDA and the dreaded M&S sorry dear had to sort the car. Daughter came home one night from uni and gave a note left on windscreen a 480 owner was getting rid of his car 480s would I be interested in a spares car wife who is a 480 lover made me go to see it , didnt have much wrong with it and so i told the guy how to fix the few problems it had and came . 6 days later he phoned me and now 1 have 3 480s (last one cost £70 ) and is in good nick. Was going to do up and sell but the wife wont let me as its her car ( not bad considering she cant drive apart from me up the bloody wall!
So stripped out interior swopped over the shite velour seats for the nice black semi leather jacquard seats took out rear plastics sealed rear light tighted door hatch cleaned car to high standard some little bits of paintwork to do. but on holiday from this friday.
Dont know what I would do with my time with no 480s . Some suspicious neighbiours think I am running a concession in the things. So now i have 5 cars 3 drivers with 2 sorned and off the road. Will need to sell 1 on ebay soon(not a 480).

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:26 pm

Update 1

Daughter's 480 called "Skippy" after it sometimes missfired slightly and jumped under the accelerator, whren the rear engine mounting replaced and a new clutch fitted it runs like a dream so no problems there apart from the fact that I have to autoglym it to make it look as good as he runs.

Son's 480 turbo , just changed the insurance over so when the papers come through its straight off to the autoglass guys for a new windscreen since it has a crack as big as a navvies ar*** . Then straight to Volovmax for a mot. Still having problems with the info centre as in its not working but at least I got the speedo working again. Oh and have to swop over the tyres.

Wife's 480 "Kiri" bought for £70 recently everytime I fix something I discover another "little job" to do. The car was sadly neglected over the past 3 years at least and one of its previous owners was a cack handed cowboy - the mirrors adjustment stopped working so he/she/it took the door card off checked the wiring still not working so cut the electric cable off the mirror and jammed the mirror in position with blutack :angry:
So changed the interior over to black jacquard then fitted a radio only to discover that the electric aerial is kaput! Changed the OS door mirror to find the door latch/spring has come away from the inner frame.but I fixed the door by replacing the top hinge and repositioning the door catch after making a set of shims to move it out far enough to catch. Only to discover that the central door locking is also Kaput! On top of that if I lock all the doors and then unlock the drivers door first the volvo alarm goes off! Petrol gauge is ok but the temp sensor is non functional as far as I can see but I need to check this out further. Inside door latch on drivers side not attached now sorted. BUT the car has 8 months MOT left runs like a gazelle! Stops like I used an anchor and the wife loves it. Virtually stopped all leaks into the car and halfway through cHanging the steel wheels for alloys.

In between this I now have the rear bumper off the Polo classic to fit a tow bar on the little diesel and repair the badly dented rear bumper. Have to service this car and the son and daughters 480s Then sell the bits off of the S40 before it goes to the scrapyard.
Oh and dont mention repainting the house , some plastering as well as relaying 20% of the rear patio etc etc.....
and I am supposed to be on holiday now :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:10 pm

Saturday

Kiri - Replaced the side mirrors sorted the interior door lock release by zip tying the connection together so wont pop out anymore. Reassembled the interior just to put door cards inserts at the handles back on had a second look at the aerial and radio wiring so with nothing to lose out comes the multimeter and wow twisted 2 wires together and the radio and electric aerial work perfectly ! :hopping:
Also swopped over the steel wheels for alloys from a 93 ES (now cubed)
Thought just before it gets to dark would have another go at sorting the drivers door which has dropped a little ! Bad idea I should quit when ahead so with light failing the door was causing problems due to the door hanger rather than the hinge being worn so got out my hacksaw and made a three plastic spacers two for under the bottom hinge and one for the top then had to remove one spacer from under the door latch. the door now functions well enough but will need to replace one spacer top and bottom with one half as thick to get the ideal closure!
Waited till it was dark and popped out for a quick zoom around wow the little car runs like a dream.
In the middle of all that I put the tow bar on the little polo will connect the electrics on Monday.
All in All a great but busy day oh and got sunburned on the back of the neck cos i was wearing a tee shirt all day in the sun!

Sunday

Autoglymned Skippy quickly today like the results it can definitely get addictive.
Looked at the towbar wiring as well so now I have a clear picture in my head as to how it goes will get one or two bits and pieces and connect up soon.

Tomorrow
I will be getting the good or bad news of the cost for the sons 480 which failed its mot on saturday. With the run of luck I have been having recently its going to be bad :cry: :cryhard:

Thanx to Pol from the forum I will have a go at sorting out alarm + central door locking on Kiri . But did discover that it does the full closure thing from the passenger side lock!

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:03 pm

480 turbo on road now with a years mot, will slice open a crappy velour seatand remave the seat back release mechanism will then fix the turbos drivers seat.. Serviced the polo and now skippy plus have got cheap insurance for Kiri from adrian flux. just waiting to tax it then can legally keep it ticking over.
have got all the components to build an auxiliary petrol guage so will update progress in electrics threads. if i can get it working it could be a cheap and reliable 10 bar led guage so that you dont have to suffer the vagaries of the dreaded info centre and its assorted connections.

I changed over the drivers side hand pull for a better condition one and relaced the knacked speaker also spotted 2 relays that shouldnt be there suspect that it is due to the ebay alarm fitted which I removed easily just took its brains out and left the rest intact . golden motto if its not broken dont fix it if it is broken its a 480 :rofl:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:45 pm

Came back from holiday to find the central heating pump knackered and 2 out of 3 480s popups acting up!

Damn should have stayed on holiday :wink:

Getting teed off just now with the cars.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:50 pm

Between rain showers got out to sort skippy as she had a massive missfire . Changed spark plugs no joy so took off distributor cap to find it badly worn! replaced with a spare I had instant success :hopping: :D
Magik the little car zips along with loads of power.
Now to sort the NS popup which doesnt!
Still I now know how to get a popup to go up and down in demented fashion! :rofl:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:47 pm

Skippy's misfire was down to a broken wire just before the contact so sorted , the popups worked when I replaced a duff bulb , this little car is now A1 apart from the non functoning rear wiper but not worried about that as it can be fixed anytime. Car currently sorned since she returned to uni.Oh I will be changing the headlining over if I can get a dry day with no interuptions.

Had all sorts of frustrating problems with the electrics on KFR but got them all solved and with the magic button starter the car is now running perfectly and is 100% reliable.

The info centre still doesnt work but fitted an analogue meter in the centre consol which works all the time.

so can forget about this one but no there is now a petrol smell in car so I think I have sorted that as well resealed the plastic cover over the petrol pump/sender unit and really well sealed the 6 holes at the back where some crasy previous owner had put a tow bar !

I await feedback from pete some time on monday as to the effectiveness of the work but I am quietly confident.

Managed to get rid of the S40 sold it to Dougie at volvomax.

Now I have went and done it again bought exiled falcons 95 turbo as a spares car since it was the same colour as my lttle £70 project car and I could swop over doors etc. but the turbo is so good that I had to decide between them but it was no contest really the turbo stays and the little 480 S will be progressively stripped down. Shame as it is a good car dry and reliable but I cant afford to keep all of them going.
So now I am sitting with a polo classic diesel with tow bar , 480 es 2ltr 2 X 480 turbo - one lowered one being fixed - 480 S

I must be mad. :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:50 pm

PS and a garage that cant be used because of all the spares stored in it.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:22 pm

The grey turbos piping from the power steering to pump one badly goosed the other rusted badly. So waiting for a pipe from sweden then woo hooo I ll be the oldest boy racer in glasgow vroom vroom ! :hopping: :lol: :rofl: :D :hopping: :hopping: :hopping:

then over the christmas holidays Kiri will be stripped down to almost the bare shell. I even plan to get the grinder out and cut away large parts of the metal sheeting as it comes in handy at times.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:22 pm

ARRRRRGGGGGGH!

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ever had a momenet when somebody says will you look at the car I think ...... (supply your own answer here ) is a little bit out or not right :shock:

You trundle out out expecting to see a flat tyre only to discover that the car's front tyre and rim are completely chewed to bitz. :angry: :badmood: :angry:

Explanation dodged a cat rather than run it over hit kerb steering went a bit funny after that :angry:

Growl growl advice to son next time run the barstward over dont hit the kerb like that again. :x :kill: :kill: :kill:

yes it was another of those special moments only a family can have :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:42 pm

In the cold light of a new day the subframe on sons turbo is goosed completely (see thread on wonky wheel ). Major bummer so the decision was made he would get the new turbo I would strip his knacked turbo down and fix up the little £70 project car (kiri).

this will entail taking the door off kiri and replacing it with one from the turbo and respraying it. Taking the leather interior out and putting it into kiri. Will mess around with an info centre and see if it will work in the basic S . Taking the dented wing off the new turbo and putting one from old turbo across. Tracking down water leak and sealing car. repairing hole in bottom of spare wheel well. Sorting out arms for seat belts in kiri.
trying out a replacement fuel pump to see if it will make a difference to the petrol guage. Fitting the new beige leather seats in daughters car.
Sorting out the rear wiper.

building a new shed to store the parts as I intend to fully strip down the turbo and cut it up into pieces

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:18 pm

Well started tonight finished work early so raced out to catch the last of the light and removed all but drivers seat on the "new " turbo. the torx screws can be a bitch right enough so got out breaker bar only to discover its too big for the one bolt I cant loosen. Temperature dropped to -2 degrees . My house is in a cold spot and I am still working away but perseverance wins through got the last bolt out. Now waiting for the upholstry to come back it will be 2 tone cream and in pristine condition. Put a new back seat back into kiri. Last night put the back on trailer. Tomorrow
1 will get hook and hinges for trailer and fit. Finish painting trailer.
2 remove driver seat and carpets from turbo clean throughly. Prepare interior for rust treatment/painting. Seal all available bits, get an aerial plug and wire up.
3 Remove the rich mod from old turbo and remove all seat bolts.
4 Clean up leather for inserting into skippy.
I am a happy bunny today :D :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:34 pm

loosened all the seats in 2 cars / hoovered up all the crap out of the grey turbo ( louis ) painted the interior and where possible the rear box sections with hammerite anti rust/rust killer paint. car smells like a painters armpit just now but it will clear, had to fit a new aerial plug onto the old wire and soldered it in position. Just to check tomorrow.

tomorrow will hose car down to find any leaks and seal all joints fill 2 holes and then refit plastics and seats / road test and then swop over the richmod . Fit radio and swop over NSF wing.

Reckon I will only get half of this done due to Christmas cleaning of the house and last minute shopping in ASDAs plus will need to get a replacement NSF indicator for the polo as some barsteward has nicked it off the car!

Dont you just love relaxing holidays :lol:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:02 pm

well spent the last day of the old year working on filling a hole and rust proofing and sealing the rear lights then thought I would swop over the steering wheel from a 92 turbo onto a 95 turbo. Dumb idea they just dont match up 3 mm too short. so had to put everything back again well not quite ran out of time and didnt want to miss the bells so left the 92 turbo without a steering wheel felt a bit like mr bean today going out and putting a steering wheel in the car. Mind you I had to put an old scruffy drivers seat in as well and I hadnt locked it up would definately have confused any passing pikey ! Steal that you barsteward :rofl: .

In my rush last night had put drivers wheel on squinty so took it off for the 3rd time and put it on correctly no the damn SRS light wont go out so tomorrow i will.....

Cleared garage ready for 92 turbo to be driven in and stripped down. Finished some body work and took the 95 tirbo out for a quick blast on the back road near me. Great fun and thats before the richmod goes in. All in all a great day :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:51 pm

last sunday at about 7.30pm finished the turbo replaced the rear window strip put rear carpet in and fixed the wheel arch protector in place and put in the richmod.

took both front wings off the old turbo which is now in the garage.

Only have to spray the replacement wing but that will be quite a while before its done with all the rain and cold.

put new clear front clusters in skippy looks so much better (yes its a white car :lol: )

swopped over batteries, dismantling the old turbo have already taken out the complete dash / clusters / doors / front bumper etc.

Tomorrow will start on stripping down the turbo and engine layer by layer as I dont have a hoist. Front of car on stands as I have been trying to remove front suspension units as they are 40mm lower bilsteins.
Can only work on car at weekends due to work commitments. After last nights -2 degreees tonight it is chucking it down. But earlier I cleared the garage to get more space so it doesnt matter tomorrow its the engine. When pete is able to help he will give me a hand with the front suspension.

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:08 pm

yipee the front suspension is out on both sides. :D

the radiator and fan have been removed various cables loosened ready for removal. :D

As far as the car is concerned it has been a good day feel I am getting somewhere. :D

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:50 pm

Long weekend holiday with good weather and I get a cold still one advantage of running a temperature is you can work outside in your shirt sleeves (nearly) :rofl: and not feel cold.
So removed the rear suspension and started on sunday and fitted the two rear springs and dampers and on Monday the front NS suspensionn. Spotted the rear radius arm had come off the body so off to the welders the bar stewards stung me but it was done then the computer died and I had lent my most used software to someone. Ho hum just had to drive the turbo for a couple of days seeing as I had lowered it 40mm . Rock on just cant stop myself booooosting away with the radio up full blast . Just another sad old git ;) Funny when you are looking for a chav to roast at the lights you can never find one :cryhard:

Still son reclaiming his car so its back to the old diesel for me ( reaches for the radio and turns it down sigh)

That what happens when you have a richmodded 40 mm lowered turbo :hopping:

Vroom vroom :shock:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Went down south yesterday and got a new 480 1994 paris blue 2ltr Es.

looks and drives really well it doesnt have that tired look and feel that so many other neglected 480's have.

happy days :)

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:26 pm

Since I got myself a new 480 M reg 2 ltr. paris blue have been cleaning it out and discovered that the passenger side had mutant frogs growing in it . Some lazy barsteward of a mechanic must have changed the heater matrix over , and just left the liquid (with green gunk in it ) lying in the foot well and covered it up with the carpet ????? go figure that one out he even dropped his cigarette from behind his ear . So trashed the carpet underlay removed all the seatseats dried everything washed and cleaned , valeted everything in the car even the air vents with damp cotton buds. Repeated this on the little polo diesel. Made underlay from good quality carpet underlay, its an ideal replacement. spent today washing 2 cars , then teecutting both before autoglyming them. Bought myself an electric polisher had great fun buffing them up ;) . Daughters car to get a new offside front abs sensor fitted. Now all I have to do is a service on the polo and Peter's 480 ( the one that got flooded). After that I have to progress to my daughters one . Then get the little project car right as rain so that I can mot and sell her or just break for spare parts. Although i dont have anystorage left and I still have a 480 in the garage which has to have its engine & turbo stripped out the petrol tank drained and removed the suspension and steering removed and the brake pipes taken out as well as the handbrake cables.

Oh happy days. :hopping:

glasgowjim
480 Is my middle name

Post by glasgowjim » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:14 pm

480 in garage is just a shell with only the petrol tank and filter left underneath and the engine block from the cylinder head down +gearbox subframe and front steering stuff.

the rear axle has been stripped down to make a trailer axle. :lol:

put virtually new alloys onto he new blue car.

Finally fixed the damn rattling from the rear suspension of peters turbo jamed a copper washer in between strut and shock absorber. its now a stealth turbo :lol:

Met Colin another 480 enthusiast.

Going out to get some discs for the angle grinder to cut up the car body and get out the garage am going to cut my loses with the engine block as am getting throughly fed up of the damn thing. :badmood:

then its onto kiri and striping her down but only the main parts but need the garage cleared for storage.

then catalogue all parts .

Oh new blue car is going up for sale as its in vrtually mint condition.