1994 Volvo 480 S - L1 4BOS - Bloody Volvo Driver

Here you can start a thread about your 480 days. Only the starter of the thread is allowed to fill his thread, and only one thread per person. Threads are simply a personal diary.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Darren
Can tell where the 480 was built

1994 Volvo 480 S - L1 4BOS - Bloody Volvo Driver

Post by Darren » Mon May 28, 2007 11:22 pm

Year, Make and Model:
1994 Volvo 480 S (registered ’95)
(‘S’ – Basic model available near end of production)

Licence plate; L14 BOS = V 480 S

Engine and Drivetrain:
Standard 1721cc Engine – (89K miles as of 05/2007)
Standard 5-speed gearbox and clutch

Suspension and Brakes:
Front - Independent suspension, coil springs and stabilisation bar as standard
Rear - Lightweight beam axle, gas-filled shock-absorbers as standard
Discs front and rear brakes with floating calipers as standard

Wheels & Tyres:
Taurus 15â€
Last edited by Darren on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]

Darren

Post by Darren » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:53 pm

As of yesterday I had new tyres fitted to the Volvo: Falken ZIEX ZE512 (195/60/R15 88H). I’ve changed from Vredestein Sportrac (185/55/R15).

Today I took them for a good 100 mile blast on mixed roads to see how they held up. The weather is fantastic and the roads are sweating of heat and these Falkens grip like no other tyre I've driven on. It doesn't matter how many horses it takes to burn-out, unless you roll into some gravel these tyres just throw you forward.

One reason I choose these tyres is because I used 10" Falkens on my Mini. I loved the receiving yelp of the tyre gripping the tarmac whether you’re burning out, taking a corner vigorously or swinging a sharp handbrake. I now have that with my Volvo.

The ride seems just as smooth as before and I’m convinced the handling is better. No change in road noise, either, no complaints. The tyres are one of the more inexpensive types on the market for fitment, so I’m curious what I’ll be sacrificing or all the good that has come from them so far; poor in wet conditions or poor life span, or both? Both of which I’ve read to be pretty good, none the less. Time will tell. Watch this space.

Whilst on my journey today I decided to do some experimental shooting with my camera; All the photos have been taken in black and white. One reason being because I never take black and white photos, the other reason being because I washed the car yesterday and I hate the visible shade of purple in the metallic black paint! I’m thinking a sold or satin (proper) black respray in the future…

Anyhow, as they say, photos speak louder than words.

MOT expires in July and it'll need quite a list things to pass, so she'll be off the road for a week or so soon. :cryhard: On the bright side though, after realising how much money I'll be spending on her I've got a few modifications in mind.
[b]Make:[/b] Volvo � [b]Model:[/b] 480 S � [b]Year:[/b] 1995 � [b]Colour[/b]: Black Met. � [b]Engine[/b]: 1721cc

[img]http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/thisismyminiadventure/V480S/sigavatar/480S_Downhill.jpg[/img]

Darren

Post by Darren » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:51 pm

The 480 went through it's first Northern Ireland MOT last Monday evening. The tester was very happy with the car, even though the dummy rear fog lamp took him for a fool! :lol:

Pre-MOT I had the car fully serviced. The only items she required to pass included replacing the front clusters, a new headlamp bulb, welded plate above rear engine mount and two new rear shocks. The car is running great since the much needed and overdue service.

As the clear front light clusters had cracked and fadded, I sourced a replacement set of orange indicator clusters from the very forum member I purchased the car off!! Having fitted the new clusters I much prefer them to the clear ones. The rear reflectors, indicators and front clusters in orange look good against the black body.

Having given it some thought, I'm going to test an orange reflective vinyl stripe around the front and rear bumpers and door trim. It sounds tacky, but a quick photoshop gave it the thumbs up, plus I've always admired Volvos reflective bumper stripe 'styling'. I'm going to try some yellow bulbs in the fog lamps, too. Oh, and I've just bought a white tyre paint pen... :?

Darren

Post by Darren » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:29 pm

I managed to reflect my bumpers and do a little bit of plastering with the white tyre paint pen! ;)

The orange reflective stripe has worked a treat and I've achieved the look I wanted with it. I work in a sign shop so I just cut 10mm thick stripes of reflective vinyl. Here's the 480 bumper to bumper with my new 245...

I went out and took some photos this evening just as it was getting dark. Headed down to the nearest forest area, flicked up the flash light and took some awesome shots - It's just a shame most of which have blurred rain drops in them. :angry: Anyhow, I think the orange reflective stripe has given the car a much better stance as it evens out the dark paintwork;

I tried to tyre-paint my tyres, but the wheels will need to come off or the paint will drip down the alloy! None-the-less, I highlighted the 'Volvo' logo on the rear mud-flaps. I've taken this idea from the mud-flaps Volvo used to put on their cars with the black logo in a white rectangle. It’s rough up-close but once the paint has faded it'll look more authentic, which is what I want.

I painted the bulbs for the front inner fog lamps with a yellow light tint I have. Upon refitted them, and having the lights lit, my girlfriend as I looked on dump-foundered as the lights slowly got more yellow as we stared – next second the lenses were clogging up with smoke!! Out the window that idea went – don’t paint your bulbs guys! Instead, I’m going to yellow tint the inside of the glass before resealing it and fitting new white bulbs.

I’m going for a European look for the car now. I’m considering adding some ‘S’ Euro logo pressed number plates (possibly a square plate for the front), and I hope to make up ‘GB’ and ‘S’ oval badges for the rear bumper. After that, time to work on the 245 for a while…