RENAULT 9 1.7 GTX

The Volvo you want to know something about isn't a 480, but you can't find the answer to your question anywhere... Well, what the heck, have a try here in this corner of Volvos friendliest community...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

RENAULT 9 1.7 GTX

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:36 pm

hi everyone its my first post ,i did have a pretty good look at the website and i must admit ,i am well impressed with the amount of knowledge .nice one :D

i do have a question however ,i have a renault 9 1.7 gtx , i believe this engine produced by renault have been turbod up and used by volvo in 400 series at some point . now the engine in my car is a carbed version and produces 92bhp .

could anybody on here be able to give me some info about turbo 1.7 volvo cars so that i can figure out if a 1.7 turbo volvo cylinder head can sit on my cylinder block and actually run or not .
here are some pictures of the engine bay

thanks in advance

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Re: RENAULT 9 1.7 GTX

Post by Milosz_480 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:35 pm

Anonymous wrote:
could anybody on here be able to give me some info about turbo 1.7 volvo cars so that i can figure out if a 1.7 turbo volvo cylinder head can sit on my cylinder block and actually run or not .
here are some pictures of the engine bay
What for do you need turbo cylinder head? I'm not sure but it's the same cylinder head so it'll work. If you want more BHP or torque get early 480 camshaft, the one from 86-88 I belive. Engine code is B18E it produces 109 BHP and a great torque @4k rpm. I really love to floor my engine on this level of rpm ;)
no car, why drive a car if you can fly SAAB
Previous:
-Mitsubishi Lancer GLXi '93 LPG powered
-'92 480 ES red 'Sports Edition'
-'87 480 ES red
pics>>> http://photobucket.com/albums/v304/mayah480/

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:09 pm

i just signed up now so not a guest anymore :)

are you deffo sure its the same engine and the cylinder head will go on ??
has this been done before with success ??

109bhp is good enough for me , so you are saying only putting that camshaft from the early 480 to my original cylinder head will give 109 bhp or did i get this wrong????? :shock:

have you got one of them beasts really ??

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:25 pm

I see you as a guest still ;)
Well I'm not sure but one of users-Rich known as rpruen told me that it's the same cylinder head. Even if not I think there's no need in changing it cause CR in turbo is about 8,5:1 and in N/A engine is 9,1:1 and in early ES it's 10,5:1. The less CR is the less power engine produces. I'm not sure what camshaft is in R9 but I think that on B18E one you can gain up to 10-15BHP. With 102-109 BHP it's not a beast ;) + modification of ignition and carb and I belive you can have about 115BHP
It's quite fast I would even say that if you know how to treat clutch it's hard to win with this engnie on traffic lights ;) I personaly killed BMW 320i :D but I've got mod'd cylinder head about 5-7BHP more than standard B18E.
If you got some money try to put turbod engnie. I think it's about 200pounds spend on spare 480. Turbo 480 engine is very fast .Only 120BHP but it's got a lot of torque @ 3k rpm so on 3rd gear on wet it's still spinning wheels ;)
Previous:
-'87 480 ES red

schakal
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by schakal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:07 pm

come on i should have been a member by now ,nick name is schakal anyway

that cam sounds promising :)
i believe all the 480s are fuel injected ecu controlled type opposed to the carbed and ignition module controlled r9 1.7 gtx ... that makes whole head swapping option more difficult .

however ,i wonder if the inlet and exhaust manifolds are the same or not ???
in that case i might be able to get some turbo manifolds and the turbo charger from the 480 on my existing head as well as that camshaft you are saying ,

does it make sense ??
secretly VOLVO 480 loving RENAULT enthusiast

haz@nocturnal_development
480 Rookie

Post by haz@nocturnal_development » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:39 am

hmmm, start again what are you wanting to do?

if you want to turbo yours then the best option is to just pull yours out and replace with a 400series turbo version. alot simpler and saves pulling the engine to bits.

a turbo head will fit onto yours but the compression would be alot higher than a turbo version. if you wanted to turbo that then it would be livelier than a turbo off boost and will run some boost, but not alot. the lower the compression ratio, the more boost you can run. there are a few ways to get these engines up to 250bhp atm.

a clio rsi is also the same engine but with injection, cant remember if its single or multipoint tho. just incase you are wanting to go down that route.

a cam would be an easier option if you just want a bit more power.

haz :)
reanualt 5 campus, Volvo turbo conversion, hybrid T28, -31 actautor, external oil cooler, THS intercooler, rear radiator, large throttle, Adaptronic ECU, cossie blue injectors. results recorded '06 (21 psi 228bhp/229lbs),(23psi 12.6 @108mph)

schakal

Post by schakal » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:27 am

haz@nocturnal_development wrote:hmmm, start again what are you wanting to do?

if you want to turbo yours then the best option is to just pull yours out and replace with a 400series turbo version. alot simpler and saves pulling the engine to bits.

a turbo head will fit onto yours but the compression would be alot higher than a turbo version. if you wanted to turbo that then it would be livelier than a turbo off boost and will run some boost, but not alot. the lower the compression ratio, the more boost you can run. there are a few ways to get these engines up to 250bhp atm.

a clio rsi is also the same engine but with injection, cant remember if its single or multipoint tho. just incase you are wanting to go down that route.

a cam would be an easier option if you just want a bit more power.

my intention is to get some more torque out of my engine ,nothing over the top . you can imagine 92bhp is not very vavavoom especially when my main car is a r19 16v 137 bhp .

obviously i would like to do it the most hassle free way ,hence i was looking for a head swap. which will allready include the 480 cam shaft but dont know what else is involved ????
is it going to be a plug and play job or does it involve other modifications ?

clio rsi is the 1794 cc engine (F3P) with full injection, i used to have a r19 1.8 rti which has exactly the same engine but single point injection .
i have the cylinder head of that engine all striped in pieces in my shed as well. but i dont really want the hassle of a carburator to injecton conversion ,it involves a lot .

so it looks like either the full 480 head with the turbo unit or the camshaft on its on for me .
any ideas what sort of power and torque figures i am looking to get in either option ????

haz@nocturnal_development
480 Rookie

Post by haz@nocturnal_development » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:57 pm

a cam swap would be alot easier than a head swap. get an later es cam, fettle with the carb and adjust your timing.

not sure on figures tho.

reanualt 5 campus, Volvo turbo conversion, hybrid T28, -31 actautor, external oil cooler, THS intercooler, rear radiator, large throttle, Adaptronic ECU, cossie blue injectors. results recorded '06 (21 psi 228bhp/229lbs),(23psi 12.6 @108mph)

Milosz_480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Milosz_480 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:06 pm

Firstly get 480 camshaft and see what happens. If power is much enough tha you don't have to make other mods. My friend's got Pug 309 1,9 with sport camshaft and about 140BHP (105 standard) So you see what reserve is in camshaft modification. Try to put free exhaust system and you can gain up to 5BHP. Cylinder head from turbo or ES would be not easy to have carb cause there are wholes for injectors.
Previous:
-'87 480 ES red

schakal

Post by schakal » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:07 pm

haz@nocturnal_development wrote:a cam swap would be alot easier than a head swap. get an later es cam, fettle with the carb and adjust your timing.

not sure on figures tho.

now good point there ,how do you adjust the timing fiddleing with the carburator ?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:04 am

there's 2 way for timing.
swap the sensor wires over, this should give around 6 degrees.
or
nudge the sensor along its bracket, this will give smaller adjustment.

or you could do both.

just try out different combinations so you know which works best on the set-up your using now :)

schakal

Post by schakal » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:51 pm

Anonymous wrote:there's 2 way for timing.
swap the sensor wires over, this should give around 6 degrees.
or
nudge the sensor along its bracket, this will give smaller adjustment.

or you could do both.

just try out different combinations so you know which works best on the set-up your using now :)

sensor as in crank angle sensor yeah ???
mine is held by two bolts on top of the crank and i cant see a way of nudging it along the bracket :badmood:

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm

remove it to make it easier. there are different types, some you can just place in a vice (the bracket bit) then gentle tap the sensor with a hammer. some you have to remove a sleeve first.