740 and 264 probs

The Volvo you want to know something about isn't a 480, but you can't find the answer to your question anywhere... Well, what the heck, have a try here in this corner of Volvos friendliest community...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Roo
480 Is my middle name

740 and 264 probs

Post by Roo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:22 am

Had my dad on the phone last night with a couple of probs.
Firstly his 740 GLE Auto 'F' reg has a starting fault.
After running the car up to normal operating temperature all is fine. However, if you stop the engine and leave for 5-10 mins, eg when refueling, the car is very difficult to start and once started it idles very roughly on 2 then 3 then 4 cylinders. this sorts itself out after about 40 seconds and the car is fine again until it is stopped and started again. There is also a strong fuel smell round the passenger rear door area too. I guess these could be connected? :?
The car had new injector oil seals last year and this was initially thought to have helped but now that seems doubtful.

Second prob!
My grandads 264 GLE auto V6 'V' reg has a starting fault. When cold the engine starts fine and idles ok but when you apply any load like turn the power steering or touch the throttle, the engine stalls. After a few minutes of idling, the car is fine and drives well, its only when the cars engine is cold.
Any ideas?

I love this new section! :D

Ally
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Ally » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:26 am

On the 740, I'd have a look at the in-tank lift-pump - could be slow to build up pressure in the fuel rail?. I had to replace mine because the originals were steel pipes welded to a plate which rusted at the welds. The replacement is all moulded plastic, but I seem to remember having to mod the hoses a bit to get it all connected. There's an inspection hatch in the forward part of the boot area (underneath the plywood lining (concealed nuts behind back seats, lift and slide forwards)).

Maybe even fuel filter?

If it's dodgy starting especially when hot, check the little plastic flame trap in the crankcase breather hose. It clogs up and causes problems on a fairly regular basis in my experience. You can just clean it out, but they're only a quid or something from volvo - if you're feeling lazy.

Does the F reg have the diagnostic thing on the strut? Mine has, but usually proves pretty useless although it can give some hints in what direction to be looking.

Hope this helps...
Fred - 1995 480 2.0i ES - Dark Green Metallic (106,000 miles)
Dave - 1993 480 2.0i ES - Steel Grey Metallic (148,000 miles)

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Post by Roo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:41 am

Thanks Ally, i'll pass that on to my dad and see what he says... :D

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:00 am

both sound like engine temp sensor problems. I had the problem of not starting when hot.

OK when cold but putting to much fuel in when hot.
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

Mark 480s
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Mark 480s » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:59 am

Hi Roo

The 740 GLE is it the Bosch mechcanical fuel injection (Bosch K injection system)? if so it could be the start enrichment injector. this is controlled by a simple heat/timer relay mounted on the engine block. when the block is cold it provides additional fuel for a couple of minutes or until the block is warmed up. When it goes wrong it dumps loads of extra petrol into the engine causing bad running and starting when warm, because the mixture is far to rich.

regards

Mark
Not another Volvo!
480 Gone,
940 turbo Imperial Battlecruiser (estate)
940 Turbo Diesel estate

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:44 pm

Mark 480s wrote:Hi Roo

The 740 GLE is it the Bosch mechcanical fuel injection (Bosch K injection system)? if so it could be the start enrichment injector. this is controlled by a simple heat/timer relay mounted on the engine block. when the block is cold it provides additional fuel for a couple of minutes or until the block is warmed up. When it goes wrong it dumps loads of extra petrol into the engine causing bad running and starting when warm, because the mixture is far to rich.

regards

Mark
WE had the exact same problem with ours, the cold start injector had become jammed open (you could blow through it) and it actually filled the intake up with petrol, which was nice.

In actual fact it is wired off the starter circuit, then through the temp sensor on the block, so the injector should ony open when the starter is engaged and the block is sufficiently cold to require it. At least on our 1987 E plate one.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

huskyracer
480 Newbie

Post by huskyracer » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:59 pm

The most common thing I see that causes this fault on k-jet cars is the injectors dripping. when you switch it off, the injectors drip causing a collection of fuel in the manifold/intake port, when you start it it draws this in which makes it go very rich for a couple of seconds, and the car will run on 2 or 3 cylinders untill the metering head can build enough pressure in the pipes to the injector/s to open them again. remove the injectors, place each one in a milk bottle with the pipes conected, brdge the fuel pump relay out and pull the flap in the metering head up, this will make the injectors spray, you only need to do this for a second or so, just to build pressure in the pipes. remove the bridge from the pump relay and watch the injectors to see if they leak. more than a couple of drips in 5 minutes means there shot.
Hope that helps
Iain
340 turbo

chris1roll

Post by chris1roll » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:03 pm

Sounds exactly like ours! :lol:

Still, with being a "communal" car, and 200k on the clock, It'll have to put up with them.
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Roo
480 Is my middle name

Re: 740 and 264 probs

Post by Roo » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:24 am

Roo wrote: Second prob!
My grandads 264 GLE auto V6 'V' reg has a starting fault. When cold the engine starts fine and idles ok but when you apply any load like turn the power steering or touch the throttle, the engine stalls. After a few minutes of idling, the car is fine and drives well, its only when the cars engine is cold.
Any ideas?
Anyone shed any light on this one?
Also, this prob seems worse when the car has not been started for a couple of days.

Will be passing 740 info to my dad later so will let you know what happens...