Volvo 440 - Indirect Injection tuning, advice required

The Volvo you want to know something about isn't a 480, but you can't find the answer to your question anywhere... Well, what the heck, have a try here in this corner of Volvos friendliest community...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

adi2727
480 Newbie

Volvo 440 - Indirect Injection tuning, advice required

Post by adi2727 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:59 am

Hello everybody!
Best wishes for your Volvo 480 passion.

I'm trying to search some information's about getting more power to my old engine. Well, yeah I know that it will be difficult to find answers for diesel in here, but i must try.

The engine is D19t266 (no EGR), 68kw (92bhp), on a '96 440.
High pressure turbo (garret T2), currently running at 0.7-0.85 bar... intercooler and oil cooling pipes (but no oil radiator, but it could easily fitted).

Got some advices to manually adjust the fuel quantity from the injection pump and to increase the boost pressure up to 1.1-1.3 bar and that's how to gain about 15-20% power (up to ~110bhp).
But... i think that this is a general advice for for the D19T engine which were in at least 3 variants mounted on the 400 series and i'm afraid that manually adjusting the fuel from the pump will result an unwanted smoke quantity.

My engine has an updated injection pump which i understand that has fuel compensation system, regulated by the boost pressure.
Logically, I'm thinking that i can do this tuning with only a Manual Boost Controller. Is it so?

The car works pretty fine with the factory settings but problems appear when i have a full load (~1400kg,car included) on overcoming by regular roads. it moves much slower.

So, regarding this giant post: is it possible to get somewhere around 100bhp/1ton... 140bhp???
I know it's a bit much for an indirect injection engine 50% power plus but maybe some of you knows better than me. Any advice is welcome.
Engine safety is also an issue. I want to keep it long.

I made a mail to RICA also, and they can't help me.

Thanks in advance.
volvo 440, 1.9td, 68kw, 1996

ted clutch
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by ted clutch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:29 pm

all you can do really is put more fuel and boost which will impact on reliability and negate any fuel saving of having a diesel. diesels run best with a slight excess of fuel which causes (unburned)black smoke. up the fuel pressure and boost. it doesnt matter a jot about the mixture unless you have way too much.

adi2727
480 Newbie

Post by adi2727 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 am

Thanks Ted!

RICA also answer me and told me to raise the boost pressure and to eventually increase the fuel quantity if necessary.
But, they didn't told me how much i can gain by doing this or what's the maximum power that this engine can bring.

Does anybody knows that?
volvo 440, 1.9td, 68kw, 1996