volvo 850 t5 problem

The Volvo you want to know something about isn't a 480, but you can't find the answer to your question anywhere... Well, what the heck, have a try here in this corner of Volvos friendliest community...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

lee
480 Is my middle name

volvo 850 t5 problem

Post by lee » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:17 pm

I have been enjoying the t5 life but with the running cost of a small euro box thanks to lpg.

Yesterday I was playing a pushing the t5 a bit racing with a Audi S4 around some nice b road and all was great.

Get home and the missis take the t5 out to go and visit family. When she gets back in the car and depresses the clutch the pedal remains on the floor. She pulled it back up and allowed it to sttle for a few minutes before depressing it again and having the exact same outcome. She tried this a few times, but each time same result. She looked under the same and saw a large puddle. At this point she calls me and i go over. I confirmed that the fluid on the car was brake fluid. I then left here with the other car and drove the t5 back with no clutch (always fun) park it up and leave it.
Today I have moved the t5 on to the drive and took a look. I noticed that there was fluid leaking from somewhere as i pulled on to the drive, so i jacked it up and saw that it appeard to be leaking around the slave cylinder. On removing and inspecting the seal it seemed fine, but the cylinder was a bit dirty inside.I clean it and refitted. Opened the bleed nipple and attempted to bleed the clutch but as before the pedal was on the floor. I picked it up and pushed it back down and no fluid came out of the slave cylinder or the bleed nipple. So this would seem to point to the master cylinder. But all the brakes are still fine.

Not sure what to do next please help as missis needs car on tuesday as she is an estate agent.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bramdeman
480 Expert

Post by Bramdeman » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:30 pm

replace the slave cilinder dude, and keep bleeding until your arms fall off sometimes that takes a hell of a long time
'99 C70 2,3 T5 LPI Full option!
'98 V70 2.5Turbo LPI aircon ice etc etc <---Wrecked, she saved my life
'82 Porsche 928S 300HP 4,6V8 (scary)
'89 Red Turbo All Fixed up SOLD
'90 ES Lavender Metallic Automatic
'93 Two Tone Turbo!! Beauty! daily driver
'92 Red ES automatic
'88 340 1,7 Project car

martinholmesuk
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by martinholmesuk » Mon May 01, 2006 1:09 am

But all the brakes are still fine.
What the brakes got to do with the clutch? :? Mat and I just changed auto to manual on a e30 and had to install the clutch system and it took ages and ages to bleed it. Mat took it to a guy who said we should have the fluid bottle up high to bleed. No more problems. odd
Volvo 940 Turbo 19T (real Volvo :P)
Audi TT

lee
480 Is my middle name

Post by lee » Mon May 01, 2006 2:02 pm

The brakes and clutch are controled though the same master
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

chris1roll
Friend of Club 480 Europe

Post by chris1roll » Mon May 01, 2006 2:08 pm

lee wrote:The brakes and clutch are controled though the same master
You quite quite sure about that?

I can't see how, as otherwise braking would depress the clutch, or vice versa....

There should be a separate "master" cylinder for the clutch, which very often takes a feed from half way up the barke flud reservoir.

just looked in vadis, seems to be a completely separate system for the clutch....I can double check it, what year, and engine code is it?
2001 V70 XC 2.5T
1989 744 GL Auto

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 3:54 pm

i don't have vardis at the mo due to my comp probs. It was eaten and can't find the disk to reinstall
will look at the book of lies

Post by Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 3:59 pm

doh seen it in the book of lies can't see it on the car though. I hope i haven't got to change that

Agwa Moose
480 Veteran

Post by Agwa Moose » Mon May 01, 2006 4:10 pm

chris1roll wrote:
lee wrote:The brakes and clutch are controled though the same master
You quite quite sure about that?

I can't see how, as otherwise braking would depress the clutch, or vice versa....

There should be a separate "master" cylinder for the clutch, which very often takes a feed from half way up the barke flud reservoir.
My Alfa 155 uses the same master cylinder for both brakes and clutch, the clutch does get interesting if the brakes need bleeding but other than that it causes no problems

J
Gwendoyln! They're hanging bicycle parts on me again!