I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

The Volvo you want to know something about isn't a 480, but you can't find the answer to your question anywhere... Well, what the heck, have a try here in this corner of Volvos friendliest community...

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Post Reply
dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dcwalker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 am

Time to come clean, folks, I have a new addition to the family...

... a 1995 440 ES 2.0.

Way back in the early 1990s, when I had my first 480, I always had 440s or 460s as loan cars when my 480 was in the workshop (which for that car was - or at least seemed - half its life...). I have to admit I liked them and always thought they were a good car, underrated at the time. And the 94 onwards face-lifted models really did bear a close family resemblance to the 850.

A combination of things happened recently:

1 - the V50 we bought turned out, following a "Health Check" by my main dealer friends, to have rather more wrong with it than at first appeared. Nothing I'd have spotted in the fairly good lookover I gave the car on purchase, but a classic case of something appearing a bit too good to be true probably being so :( . Anyway, returned it to seller for full refund, without argument (so something tells me they knew...);

2 - the V50 saga did nothing to help the fact I've been struggling quite a lot lately with the old depression for various reasons :( ;

3 - I decided, after Nora then Nilani, that I was missing having a proper "project car";

4 - I've long thought that the 440/460 are so unloved, compared to our beloved 480s on here, that if we're not careful they'll disappear completely;

5 - then in one of the threads on here Ben started asking about 440 turbos (which I'd love, well, actually, I'd love a 460 turbo and wasn't in a position to buy one when offered one by a friend a while back).

So I thought - there's a 440 at a potentially bargain price on the VOC forum, in Newcastle so not far to go. Went to see it. Worried about the condition - it's spent most of its life near the sea in Sunderland, it didn't want to idle very well etc etc. But I liked the fact it's a lovely metallic blue, ES model so quite well specced, no info centre to worry about, 2.0 engine (green dipstick) which I know my way about and have suitable spares for already, quite good nick inside once cleaned, and has the dinkiest wiper blades on its (fully working) headlamp wiper system :lol: - so I made a cheeky offer and drove off into the sunset! :D

And yes, it drives very well, has lots of welly, you just have to remember it she won't tolerate being thrown around bends quite like the 480 will!! :lol:

My apologies for being a bit quiet on here recently as I've been "hiding away" with the 440 and generally ignoring the world, but I am trying once again to emerge into society - hence this post.

I'll post a couple of taster photos a bit later on when they're sorted off my phone.

Hopefully the mods on here will consider it sufficiently closely related to a 480 to let me get a project thread running!

All the best

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by MisterH » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 am

Sorry to hear you have faced troubles recently, but I am glad to have helped inspire you somewhat to make what seems to be a nice purchase. Always thought that the 440 was a smart looking car, and sharing the Born Identity I see no reason why you can't make a thread on here, after all, this is the friendliest forum I've ever witnessed, and If I am allowed to post queries on the Unsellable Rover or 1970s Repmobiles, the 480s little(bigger?) brother is welcome in my books :D

Hope you're doing alright, looking forward to seeing how this goes, I do like a metallic blue, I assume they don't rust like Wedges?
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dcwalker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:56 am

Thanks Ben

As I am getting to grips with it the 440 is a mixture of "oh, that's the same as the 480" and "hmmm, that's different to the 480". Some areas are a mixture of both - such as the dashboard which is very much the same principle but far more robust.

An area that is pleasantly different is that there is far more space to work under the bonnet - between the shape and the air-con Lily is a tad cramped, and you open the bonnet on the 440 and think "wow, I can see everything easily!".

Sadly an area where the family resemblance amounts to being near identical is that they rust exactly the same as our wedges do :( :lol: That said, even ECP have replacement rear arches for them at a very reasonable price...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by jifflemon » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:08 am

and yet there are no pics of the beast......

I mean, I know it's the 480's ugly sister, but come on Dave, we're all friends here! :rofl:

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dcwalker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:27 am

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:08 am
and yet there are no pics of the beast......

I mean, I know it's the 480's ugly sister, but come on Dave, we're all friends here! :rofl:
Gordon Bennett, no peace... ;)

When I got her home (Wilhelmina, by the way) I gave her a much-needed wash, with a few quick photos for the baby album. So here's a taster:

Image

Image


I'll put up more detail as she makes progress, but at least this proves she exists.

And yes, she is certainly the 480's ugly sister, and yet she has a certain attraction all of her own...

D
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by MisterH » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:29 am

That is a gorgeous colour, I take it it isn't Paris blue? While I think I prefer the Pre facelift, that car is very nicely proportioned, unfair to call it the 'ugly' sister...
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dcwalker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:30 am

And a couple more:

Image

Image

Non-abusive comments welcome!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dcwalker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:32 am

MisterH wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:29 am
That is a gorgeous colour, I take it it isn't Paris blue? While I think I prefer the Pre facelift, that car is very nicely proportioned, unfair to call it the 'ugly' sister...
Thanks Ben, no it's 325 Pacific Blue metallic - it came out in 1995 for the 440/460 - I think it replaced Paris Blue on them, which was certainly a colour on the pre-face-lift ones...

David.
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by MisterH » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:34 am

Indeed, dare I say, that is a quite attractive shape for a car, far nicer than the aggressive all-about-me-mobiles that you get these days, yet it still looks very modern. Why can't we have proper headlights these days :cryhard:


Pacific Blue, I'm sure I've seen a picture of a 480 in that shade, sort of like Paris but without the purple hint I see, is there a comparison picture?
https://live.staticflickr.com/3166/3698 ... 04cd_b.jpg
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

Martin Mc
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:57 am

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by Martin Mc » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:45 am

Hello David,

Sorry to hear your V50 turned out to be a dud - it is always a kick in the teeth when an apparently bona-fide thing turns rotten, so I am very pleased to hear you managed to get a full refund. There is the time and effort you expended in acquiring the car to take into account, I suppose, but it looks like you've got yourself a very pleasing (and much more familiar) classic instead.

Do you think you'd ever show her in 400 (480) circles in the flesh? Would certainly be an interesting benchmark in many respects.

Nilani is doing well, although I think I might have broken a rear spring on potholes in the Trough of Bowland at the weekend.. :( Diagnosis will ensue at the weekend.

All the best!

Martin
Volvo 480 - There's NOTHING like it!
Previous 480 pedigree: 1992 ES (1.7 White) 1993 ES (2.0 Red) 1994 S (1.7 White) 1994 ES 2.0 (metallic red) 1995 S (1.7 Black) 1993 ES (2.0 Paris Blue) (0ver to you Keith!) #467/480 Celebration (flame red metallic)
Every decent bloke deserves an extra-marital car (so my wife tells me)(apparently it keeps me out of mischief.... really..)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by jifflemon » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:49 am

dcwalker wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:30 am
Non-abusive comments welcome!

David
You know I'm a sucker for an underdog car! :wink:

I think they'd make an excellent daily, for all the same reasons as a 480; It's the last great era of motoring, before we moved into the "sensors for everything and computers needed to fix them".

Plus you don't have to panic about the rear lights fading in the sunshine, or your front lights melting the housings...

Wonder if they've got their own individual quirks though?

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by MisterH » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:07 am

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:49 am
dcwalker wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:30 am
Non-abusive comments welcome!

David
You know I'm a sucker for an underdog car! :wink:

I think they'd make an excellent daily, for all the same reasons as a 480; It's the last great era of motoring, before we moved into the "sensors for everything and computers needed to fix them".

Plus you don't have to panic about the rear lights fading in the sunshine, or your front lights melting the housings...

Wonder if they've got their own individual quirks though?
I do agree, having to argue with computers is no fun, thankfully 480s are different, as they have Info Centres, not computers.... :P

Early computers in cars do have their character though, such as the quattro cycling through every single line for the talking dash, for no reason and just as the car was driving over the MOT pit, has never done that before or since :rofl:

Now once your car reaches "end of life" it actively works against you trying to fix it :angry:
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

User avatar
Jay-Kay-Em
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: Huntingdon
Contact:

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 am
I've long thought that the 440/460 are so unloved, compared to our beloved 480s on here, that if we're not careful they'll disappear completely;
This 100x

I always doff my cap to people restoring the underdog.

I was looking forward to "Hagarty's Festival of the Unexceptional 2020" but sadly that took a covid bullet. Next year...

There is a 440 that lives on the Huntingdon ring road and it makes me smile every time I see it. He has just modernised from a mk1 to a facelift just recently - got to keep with the times :lol:

440/460/480 they are all the same family to me and would be happy to see updates.

The amount of modern exotica I see and i'm completely indifferent. However, I saw a Maestro van last weekend and was over the moon :rofl:

Best Wishes

JKM

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Well if that's your idea of straying there's not much chance of your Lily leaving the nest ! :lol: Nice to see you back on here, and what a great colour your 440 is. Be nice to see it in the metal when we are finally allowed to have meetings of more than 6 people again.....
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Dark Green GT
Evil Eva 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dcwalker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for their positive and supportive comments :D

Once Wilhelmina is up to scratch perhaps I'll bring her to one of our meets next year (working on the assumption we WILL be able to get these up and running again!) so we can all scratch our heads over something so nearly the same, and yet quite different...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

dcwalker
480 Connoisseur
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by dcwalker » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 am
I've long thought that the 440/460 are so unloved, compared to our beloved 480s on here, that if we're not careful they'll disappear completely;
This 100x

I always doff my cap to people restoring the underdog.

I was looking forward to "Hagarty's Festival of the Unexceptional 2020" but sadly that took a covid bullet. Next year...

There is a 440 that lives on the Huntingdon ring road and it makes me smile every time I see it. He has just modernised from a mk1 to a facelift just recently - got to keep with the times :lol:

440/460/480 they are all the same family to me and would be happy to see updates.

The amount of modern exotica I see and i'm completely indifferent. However, I saw a Maestro van last weekend and was over the moon :rofl:

Best Wishes

JKM
Thank you!

A Maestro van!! :eek: Now you're going back a bit: I remember being intrigued, amused and appalled all at the same time over the synthesised voice they had in the top models of Maestro telling you to do things like fasten your seat belt. Hmmm...am I showing my age now? :lol:

David
Current: 1994 480 GT (plus 2004 C70 Collection & 1995 440 ES)
Previous: Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
MisterH
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 550
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:15 pm
Location: Stockbridge

Re: I have strayed (well, technically only very slightly...)

Post by MisterH » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:20 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:06 pm
Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:57 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:45 am
I've long thought that the 440/460 are so unloved, compared to our beloved 480s on here, that if we're not careful they'll disappear completely;
This 100x

I always doff my cap to people restoring the underdog.

I was looking forward to "Hagarty's Festival of the Unexceptional 2020" but sadly that took a covid bullet. Next year...

There is a 440 that lives on the Huntingdon ring road and it makes me smile every time I see it. He has just modernised from a mk1 to a facelift just recently - got to keep with the times :lol:

440/460/480 they are all the same family to me and would be happy to see updates.

The amount of modern exotica I see and i'm completely indifferent. However, I saw a Maestro van last weekend and was over the moon :rofl:

Best Wishes

JKM
Thank you!

A Maestro van!! :eek: Now you're going back a bit: I remember being intrigued, amused and appalled all at the same time over the synthesised voice they had in the top models of Maestro telling you to do things like fasten your seat belt. Hmmm...am I showing my age now? :lol:

David
The quattro's still operates, I hesitate to say it works, as she keeps saying we need to check the brake lights and the washer fluid, even though both are fine! I wish that when stuff went wrong on modern cars, it was characterful...
Current Jobs to do (12/9/20):
Fix Central Locking
Bodywork
Suspension creaking below 40mph

Post Reply