POP up headlights replacement motor

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

bomber
480 Newbie

POP up headlights replacement motor

Post by bomber » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:18 pm

I know I am being optimistic but does anyone know where to get hold of one or 2 pop up headlight motors? Just bought a celebration model and the passenger side doesn't come up. My first ever Volvo !!!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: POP up headlights replacement motor

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:25 pm

It might not be the motor. Have a search on here for the Brinkie Winkie dance to see if you can revive them
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

davekit
Started learning about 480

Post by davekit » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:21 pm

If it is just stuck, you can manually wind the light up/down using the white knob on the back of the motor. It might clear a dead spot.

Simplest test/clean is to disconnect multipin connector and apply power directly to ther motor - earth to brown wire, +12v to green wire. Let it run for 5min, to hopefully clean the contacts. If you have a test meter, there should be virtually no resistance between these two wires, but if there is high resistance, then it is burnt out (windings or diodes?). Other place to check is the relay (tall one in the relay box) - it is a double, one half for each side - so swapping your two motors over will show if one half of the relay is dud.

I tried to dismantle a motor, but without success. The waterproofing rubber coat needs removing to get at anything, and the round flat part can be split in theory. Good luck if you try! Don't know how you replace the waterproofing though.

The motors and relays do come up on ebay, but at a price. Otherwise wait for someone scrapping a car.

davekit
Started learning about 480

Post by davekit » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:36 am

Another problem may be the gas struts, which assist the motors. They are like small versions of those on the tailgate. Frequently they lose all pressure and the motors get over worked. Alternatively they can seize - either way, it won't do the motors any good. They are available new on ebay, but may come from Poland or elsewhere abroad, so can take a while getting through customs and such. Welcome to 480-world!