Serial number on tag engine block

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Protege
480 Newbie

Serial number on tag engine block

Post by Protege » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:51 pm

I am trying to identify a B18FT engine that I purchased but has little history.

On the engine block I found the riveted metal plate / tag but is it possible to relate it to a specific model 440/460/480 ?

The tag says B18FT 107 and below there is a code C followed by 6 numbers. Am I right that the C-XXXXXX number is the chassis number?

I found the page for the VIN-reader but it does not specifically tell me if the information applies to the tag on the engine? (Or maybe this is common sense?) :dunno:
http://www.volvo-480-europe.org/volvo480/vin_reader.php

Thanks.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Serial number on tag engine block

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:17 pm

I thought it was just the engine number, but Jeff will confirm (or deny)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:42 pm

The "C Number" is the engine number and contains nothing of the VIN.

Ford is the only manufacturer I can think of where the engine number is actually the tail end of the VIN.

A "C Number" is perfectly normal for Renault. Most their engines are like this. In fact, they are terrible for clashing their engine numbers. So, you might see the same C-Number across a Clio, Megane AND Laguna - the only differentiator being the engine family.

As for finding the source of your engine, DVLA will be useless (as usual).

Your only option I can think of is a nice letter to Volvo and their factory records.

Sadly, Volvo tipped most things 400 related into an open top oil drum for a bonfire circa 1999 (The Ford Era). They were however very helpful when I enquired about my build & sale dates.

Let us know how you get on if you do write to them.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Protege
480 Newbie

Post by Protege » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info people!

The previous owner of the block is going to do a dig for some more info, as far as I can see this is the best option for now.

My main concern is finding the correct duo of ECU's that will match the engine. Had hoped it would make my life easier knowing what year the engine came from.

I have found and read a couple of items regarding to the colors of the ECU's, 210 / 215mm clutch / flywheel diameter and the 2 or 3 wire of the crank sensor. Yet it looks like there is debate on what is the right way to find the right ecu. Or maybe I misinterpreted the info.

There is a clutch with flywheel mounted and I have a loom (or part of it) so I guess i'll have to work it out from there.