Lighting Problems

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Joe S
480 Newbie

Lighting Problems

Post by Joe S » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:18 pm

Please can anybody give me some advice about fixing the lighting issues that have developed with my 1995 Turbo that is my daily driver.
With the headlights down everything is okay except for no front or rear fog lights.
With the headlights up the driver’s side parking light is not illuminated and one of the rear/brake lights on each side is not working neither are the number plate lights.
When I put headlights down all the rear lights (except the fogs) are working again as are both of the front DRLs.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Lighting Problems

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:15 pm

Firstly; absolute props to you for dailying a turbo! :D

My first suggestion would be the lighting switch itself; I recently had a whole variety of odd issues fixed by removing the switch, giving the insides a healthy dose of contact cleaner whilst rotating the switch itself.

Joe S
480 Newbie

Post by Joe S » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:42 pm

Thank you Jeff for your help, I had already swapped relays and the fog light switches from my 1994 ES (now a parts car) to no avail and was beginning to fear something like a CEM problem. It was not helped by not being able to find a wiring diagram or even an accurate relay layout for late models.
So as you suggested I swapped the main lighting switch and to my amazement everything is now working as it should!
Also thank you for your endorsement, I have always driven a 480 as a daily since 1989, seven in total plus a 440 Turbo, so over the years I have had to tackle most of the issues we are all familiar with. I have been using this Turbo as my daily since 2015 doing quite a bit of work prior to that recommissioning it, the only non-service work done since was replacing a failed headlight motor and last year the starter motor and its wiring harness which was a challenge!
This summer I will refurbish the instrument cluster to fix the speedometer and other intermittent display issues.
Once again thank you Jeff.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:12 pm

Even more props for changing a starter motor on a turbo…. Done it once, hope never have to do it again! :rofl:

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:09 pm

Joe S wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:42 pm
This summer I will refurbish the instrument cluster to fix the speedometer and other intermittent display issues.
Give me a shout if you need a hand when you get round to doing the cluster, Reading is just down the road from me and I keep all the equipment needed for diagnosis and repairs ready to go at a moment's notice.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

Joe S
480 Newbie

Post by Joe S » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:21 am

Thank you very much for your kind offer.