Pudsey (rescue 480 R2 formerly known as PUD) update.

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Pudsey (rescue 480 R2 formerly known as PUD) update.

Post by richard-smyth » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:25 pm

Hello, Pudsey the rescue 480 R2 formerly known as PUD passed her MOT recently with just a track rod end being replaced and the hand brake caliper sorting. A big thank you to all members of the Rescue team especially Jeff and David, all of your hard work during the covid lockdown is still paying dividends. I haven't really done anything since becoming the owner except load up the CD changer in the boot with music CD's from charity shops costing about a pound each. Did show off Pudsey at the York car show on the 18th of September. You Tuber Roverjoe did a 3 part walk round of the show and my 480 is on at about 2 minutes and 40 seconds of the 3rd video. He's not wrong when he says Volvo 480's are cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxbn2bTP2qI
The Vauxhall MK2 LX spec Cavalier next to my car is owned by a friend who was pleasantly surprised how much positive attention Pudsey was receiving.

Cheers, Richard.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Pudsey (rescue 480 R2 formerly known as PUD) update.

Post by jifflemon » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:23 pm

Fabulous to hear that Pudsey is still going strong.

Its no longer thanks to myself and David, We gave you a good baseline; maintenance, care and cleaning are what keep them going and you've been doing a stirling job - Looks cracking in both the (albeit brief!) walk around vid.

Glad to hear too that CD's are still in use - Streaming stuff over bluetooth just isn't the same (and some of us still have all our CD's from 90's and 00's! :lol: )

yorkievolvo

Post by yorkievolvo » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:35 pm

At least one of us have got their 50s LPs!

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:55 pm

That's such a gorgeous colour.... Really looks fantastic. 👍🏻

richard-smyth

Post by richard-smyth » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:28 pm

The colour is storm grey, so called because it slightly changes colour like the sky in a proper storm from its dark grey to black or purple or even green dependant on light conditions. Not seen the green hue myself but the purple is magical.
As Pudsey has passed this years MOT plan to sort the light cluster lens and maybe repaint the bumpers.
My favourite trick of making me 480 look good is popping out on a Sunday morning after its been raining and quickly spraying the car with Turtle Wax spray wax it wet then rubbing the body work down. Also like to give Pudsey a proper wash including inside the wheel arches, as I did the morning before the York show.
Cheers, Richard.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:53 pm

This us excellent news Richard👍.

As Jeff says, though - and whilst greatly appreciating your comments - Pudsey has been out of our hands long enough now for the credit for keeping it all as it should be to lie with you now...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

richard-smyth

Post by richard-smyth » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:36 pm

‘ow do ? Just a quick update.

Had to replace another tyre recently this time due to a slow puncture. First time it went fully flat was at an auto jumble so I just bought an old style car foot pump from one of the stands. So now have two new tyres on the back, as I was told once by some older timer in a garage that's what you should do.

One time the info centre was having a disco party all on its own, so reached up into the dashboard and gave the wiring loom a shake and it's been working all ok since. Also the exhaust bracket has been fettled back into shape and its rubbers have been replaced so the clunking noise over speed bumps has stopped. I thought it was the spare wheel moving about, but I was wrong. Two spots of chassis rust have been treated and then resealed, before they get any worse.

Have started using Redex and me 480 is running a treat, including overtaking quite a few cars at 70mph on the M1 motorway near Barnsley.
A young guy in a Vauxhall Corsa really didn’t like this so he shot off and nearly drove into the back of a van.
The mpg went up to 37 from 31 by the end of the hour and a half long motorway trip, driving mainly at 70mph.
The speedo did show it was 77mph but me phone sat nav told the truth. So me speedo is running 10 % high.

Cheers, Richard.