Volvo UK Press Cars

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Volvo UK Press Cars

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:21 am

Just thought I'd document my research here as I can't find a single trace on Google about it.

This only started by me trying to find some original main dealer number plates for my 480. However, some new cars don't need a main dealer. Be it press cars for Volvo's own use, or big supply contracts like rental cars, company car fleets, Police cars etc. These cars are registered by the manufacturer themselves, usually at the import compound.

This therefore concerns the "regional identifier" in the registration mark and Volvo Cars UK over the years.

History

Volvo UK, the importer, or "concessionaires" as it was called, started in Ipswich, Sandy Hill...

This dates back to the sixties, with Google Images having Amazons and P1800's rolling in the gate...

Regional identifiers for Ipswich included "PV" and "DX", both used by Volvo UK (Concessionaires) for all their brochure and promotional material...

"CPV" used of course for the 480 launch (and James' car)...

Ipswich registered 440 brochure...

In about 1993 Volvo left Ipswich, and all the promotional material had a change of address to Bucks...

Not only did their HQ address change, but their press cars changed to Oxford.

You'll note in 1993 the GT Brochure had already jumped to BW (Oxford).

Then, their cream yellow T5 press car was FC (Oxford)...

Dealership?

It all started when I wanted original, period correct dealership number plates for my FC car (SFC). I didn't know all the above at the time. Looking at the history, my PDI was performed by Volvo Cars UK, Wheatley, Oxon:

I wanted to know what "dealership" that was. I checked the town of Wheatley and couldn't find it anywhere. Normally with Google / Google maps, even if the dealership has long since gone out of business, you can normally find the remains of a dealership.

There was only a big used car dealership, called the Wheatley Car Centre. Maybe this was the Volvo dealer back in the day?

I gave them a call. Sadly it wasn't, but the guy told me a story of one of their previous mechanics who used to work for Volvo Cars in Wheatley. "Really" I asked; but where !?!

"an old quarry up the road!" :rofl:

To the best of my research that was Lyehill Quarry, Wheatley Road, Forest Hill, Oxford OX331EP.

It is now occupied by a coach company.

There are only a handful of references on the web about this place being used for new car import and distribution. I believe the site was used in the 60's and 70's for British Leyland, Mazda and Reliant by "Mainland Car Deliveries".

Traces on the internet are few and far between. They include the taxman hounding MCD and its subsequent insolvency registered to this address. Also, a sad story of an industrial fatal accident of a poor guy unloading a car transporter.

So my 480 (SFC) plus all the press cars, Volvo company cars, and no doubt thousands of other Volvo's for big fleets, rental cars and Police rolled out these very quarry gates...

The volume of cars is huge, because when you reg-check combinations of say SFC or TFC then huge blocks are Volvo's.

The Original Plate

So what did the original registration plate look like from that quarry?

Here's a lovely period photo of an 850 Estate Police Car which I have no doubt came from the same Volvo PDI facility...

Well, two things are clear...

1) It just has a small blue Volvo logo at the bottom, nothing more.

2) The font isn't Charles Wright.

To the best of my searching, the closest I can find is "Lutz Headline". It isn't quite correct as the 0 is too slab sided, but its the best I could find if you wanted plates made.

It was a really popular font 1990-1996 or so. Many Volkswagen dealerships also used it.

A typical recreation would be :

Then, what you do, is get all that research and throw it all in the bin because DVLA won't give me my original SFC plate back :rofl:

The Last Remaining

I did notice "Martin63" had his 480 for sale here

Again, another "FC" car that rolled in and out of those quarry gates in '94/'95. Martin was kind enough to confirm his PDI stamp...

Feel free to add any more UK brochure pictures. I'm pretty sure they will conform to Ipswich (1960-1993) then Oxford (1993-2000).

"JO"..... an Oxford regional identifier.... the same plate design & font.... and undoubtedly another Lyehill Quarry car.

I wish I could say this is all extremely helpful information for those wanting to restore their Volvo UK registered car, circa 1993->1999, to period correct original, but I suspect that number is zero, so this is all a massive waste of time. Apologies :rofl:
Last edited by Jay-Kay-Em on Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Volvo UK Press Cars

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Very detailed and interesting. I can’t see all your pictures for some reason.

I’m surprised the DVLA won’t give you the original plate, they were happy to give mine back. Odd!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi James,
jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:07 pm
This is annoying. They are all https and working for me on Google Chrome, Edge and my iphone iOS :dunno:
jamescarruthers wrote:
I’m surprised the DVLA won’t give you the original plate, they were happy to give mine back. Odd!
The problem was they removed "my" plate for the cherished transfer and put "my" removed M458SFC into a big pot. When another car took their private plate off, they (DVLA) used M458SFC on that other car!

Today this is unheard of, as when you apply a cherished mark, your original mark goes into safe keeping against your car.

In 1994 DVLA didn't seem to care about this. :wall:

So, "my" plate M458SFC went to the crusher on another car! Even though that car has a certificate of destruction and has been dead for twenty years, DVLA still wont take the plate off that dead car. I think the success with your plate was the fact the plate still existed in the unused holding pot.

Ten emails to DVLA and I have given up. They are a "computer says no" organisation, plus COVID didn't help :cry:

I started looking at FC plates for sale. For example, "M217UFC" is for sale and doesn't look like a private plate. However, they are all associated with football clubs and that's £825 :lol:

I did try.
Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:36 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:29 pm
Hi James,
jamescarruthers wrote:
This is annoying. They are all https and working for me on Google Chrome, Edge and my iphone iOS :dunno:
jamescarruthers wrote:
The problem was they removed "my" plate for the cherished transfer and put "my" removed M458SFC into a big pot. When another car took their private plate off, they (DVLA) used M458SFC on that other car!

Today this is unheard of, as when you apply a cherished mark, your original mark goes into safe keeping against your car.

In 1994 DVLA didn't seem to care about this. :wall:

So, "my" plate M458SFC went to the crusher on another car! Even though that car has a certificate of destruction and has been dead for twenty years, DVLA still wont take the plate off that dead car. I think the success with your plate was the fact the plate still existed in the unused holding pot.

Ten emails to DVLA and I have given up. They are a "computer says no" organisation, plus COVID didn't help :cry:

I started looking at FC plates for sale. For example, "M217UFC" is for sale and doesn't look like a private plate. However, they are all associated with football clubs and that's £825 :lol:

I did try.
I count myself lucky with the plate then!

The pictures I can’t see are the Thumbsnap ones. However, it was either Thumbsnap blocking my VPN or the VPN blocking Thumbsnap. Weird.

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:56 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:36 pm

The pictures I can’t see are the Thumbsnap ones. However, it was either Thumbsnap blocking my VPN or the VPN blocking Thumbsnap. Weird.
Very lucky with the plate i'd say. How it sat in limbo for so long I just don't know. Could of easily been applied to another car in DVLA's wisdom.

Flipped all the images to "postimg.cc"... hopefully better?
Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:03 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:56 pm
jamescarruthers wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:36 pm

Very lucky with the plate i'd say. How it sat in limbo for so long I just don't know. Could of easily been applied to another car in DVLA's wisdom.

Flipped all the images to "postimg.cc"... hopefully better?
Thanks, all good on VPN and using postimg.

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:11 pm

Interestingly, my friend had M443 UFC.

But that was on a blue rover 216 coupe!

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:19 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:11 pm
Interestingly, my friend had M443 UFC.

But that was on a blue rover 216 coupe!
For the UFC range in 1994, everything after M561UFC is Volvo. There is a mixture of Rover and BMW prior.

Volvo's go all the way to M998UFC. You can see what I mean about the huge numbers leaving that quarry. That's in addition to all the 1994 SFC + TFC + JO cars!
Last edited by Jay-Kay-Em on Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:41 pm

Some more 1994 press photo's of "JO" cars, with the distinctive Lyehill Quarry plates...

Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars

Martin63
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Martin63 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:17 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:21 am
Just thought I'd document my research here as I can't find a single trace on Google about it.

This only started by me trying to find some original main dealer number plates for my 480. However, some new cars don't need a main dealer. Be it press cars for Volvo's own use, or big supply contracts like rental cars, company car fleets, Police cars etc. These cars are registered by the manufacturer themselves, usually at the import compound.

This therefore concerns the "regional identifier" in the registration mark and Volvo Cars UK over the years.

History

Volvo UK, the importer, or "concessionaires" as it was called, started in Ipswich, Sandy Hill...

This dates back to the sixties, with Google Images having Amazons and P1800's rolling in the gate...

Regional identifiers for Ipswich included "PV" and "DX", both used by Volvo UK (Concessionaires) for all their brochure and promotional material...

"CPV" used of course for the 480 launch (and James' car)...

Ipswich registered 440 brochure...

In about 1993 Volvo left Ipswich, and all the promotional material had a change of address to Bucks...

Not only did their HQ address change, but their press cars changed to Oxford.

You'll note in 1993 the GT Brochure had already jumped to BW (Oxford).

Then, their cream yellow T5 press car was FC (Oxford)...

Dealership?

It all started when I wanted original, period correct dealership number plates for my FC car (SFC). I didn't know all the above at the time. Looking at the history, my PDI was performed by Volvo Cars UK, Wheatley, Oxon:

I wanted to know what "dealership" that was. I checked the town of Wheatley and couldn't find it anywhere. Normally with Google / Google maps, even if the dealership has long since gone out of business, you can normally find the remains of a dealership.

There was only a big used car dealership, called the Wheatley Car Centre. Maybe this was the Volvo dealer back in the day?

I gave them a call. Sadly it wasn't, but the guy told me a story of one of their previous mechanics who used to work for Volvo Cars in Wheatley. "Really" I asked; but where !?!

"an old quarry up the road!" :rofl:

To the best of my research that was Lyehill Quarry, Wheatley Road, Forest Hill, Oxford OX331EP.

It is now occupied by a coach company.

There are only a handful of references on the web about this place being used for new car import and distribution. I believe the site was used in the 60's and 70's for British Leyland, Mazda and Reliant by "Mainland Car Deliveries".

Traces on the internet are few and far between. They include the taxman hounding MCD and its subsequent insolvency registered to this address. Also, a sad story of an industrial fatal accident of a poor guy unloading a car transporter.

So my 480 (SFC) plus all the press cars, Volvo company cars, and no doubt thousands of other Volvo's for big fleets, rental cars and Police rolled out these very quarry gates...

The volume of cars is huge, because when you reg-check combinations of say SFC or TFC then huge blocks are Volvo's.

The Original Plate

So what did the original registration plate look like from that quarry?

Here's a lovely period photo of an 850 Estate Police Car which I have no doubt came from the same Volvo PDI facility...

Well, two things are clear...

1) It just has a small blue Volvo logo at the bottom, nothing more.

2) The font isn't Charles Wright.

To the best of my searching, the closest I can find is "Lutz Headline". It isn't quite correct as the 0 is too slab sided, but its the best I could find if you wanted plates made.

It was a really popular font 1990-1996 or so. Many Volkswagen dealerships also used it.

A typical recreation would be :

Then, what you do, is get all that research and throw it all in the bin because DVLA won't give me my original SFC plate back :rofl:

The Last Remaining

I did notice "Martin63" had his 480 for sale here

Again, another "FC" car that rolled in and out of those quarry gates in '94/'95. Martin was kind enough to confirm his PDI stamp.

Feel free to add any more UK brochure pictures. I'm pretty sure they will conform to Ipswich (1960-1993) then Oxford (1993-2000).

"JO"..... an Oxford regional identifier.... the same plate design & font.... and undoubtedly another Lyehill Quarry car.

I wish I could say this is all extremely helpful information for those wanting to restore their Volvo UK registered car, circa 1993->1999, to period correct original, but I suspect that number is zero, so this is all a massive waste of time. Apologies :rofl:

Fascinating! I used to drive past that quarry regularly between 1974 and 2000. It's at the junction leading onto the eastbound dual carriageway of the A40. My godmother lived just a couple of miles away. In the 1970s it used to be full of British Leyland cars - presumably manufactured at nearby Cowley.

Maybe the plate of my car should come at more of a premium? 😉😃
480 ES - M696 UFC - January 1995
480 GT - M586 TMF - August 1994

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 am

This is fascinating, Jay - thanks for sharing the fruits of your labours with us!

I was born and raised in High Wycombe, and went to university in Oxford, so I believe I know the A40 past Wheatley as well as the next man. Yet I had no idea about what was lurking in the countryside there! :lol:

On plates more generally, my GT was registered from new in June 1994 as L4MHC - the original purchaser bought the car "for high days and holidays" only, and bought the plate for his wife whose initials they were. So there was never a "normal" plate issued to the car.

Then around 2001 the same owner acquired "480VOL" and had that put on the car. I bought her from his son when the old man died - but wasn't willing to pay what he wanted for that number plate, much as I'd have loved it! He transferred it to one of his other cars and we both wondered what DVLA would do; back came "L4MHC".

Furthermore, I asked him to check that his Mum was comfortable with the car getting that plate back, and apparently she was really pleased at the thought of her late husband's pride and joy living on with "her" plate. So while the registration has no meaning for me personally, I am pleased it and car were reunited: to me it's part of the car's original genes...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:49 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 am
...back came "L4MHC".
Another amazing number plate return story!

Even more so considering DVLA could of flogged that one off for a few quid.
Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars

Rob88h
Started learning about 480

Post by Rob88h » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:38 pm

Thanks for the good info! I’ve been messing around with 440 specific pics, building a survivors database, and I’d noticed that most of the press-y photos were JO’s. This puts two and two together nicely. :D

https://www.automobilesreview.com/img/v ... -gs_01.jpg

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:33 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:49 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:51 am
...back came "L4MHC".
Another amazing number plate return story!

Even more so considering DVLA could of flogged that one off for a few quid.
I think DVLA will only sell or auction previously unregistered plates. I've done quite a lot of number plate digging the past few years. DVLA are always your cheapest place to go for a plate (if it's a previously unregistered one you're after). Then you can go to Reg Transfers/Plates4Less etc for the same thing at a higher price or pre-owned too (of course, many other places and all the private sales paths too, you can get a bargain when people just want rid!)

If you think of any plate (prefix, suffix, new style layouts) and it's not been registered to a vehicle, you can email and ask them if it's available for sale or auction. I did that with VOL 480T. It took nearly 2 years to go into auction and your bid price is plus many other fees so it doesn't half rack up. Auctions seem to go up really high too. You'll be surprised at what some random number can mean to someone out there!

Unless you want a specific plate, say you wanted pretty much anything containing three initials, it's best to go elsewhere!

I recently asked for a plate for my friend (Storme) ST07RME and they gave me a date and time that would simply be listed for sale on the site so I got that for her for £250. I asked for FOX480T a long time ago, that's never come to auction as they said it would.

I know lots of people turn their nose up at private regs but I think they can finish off a car nicely. I am a fan of car specific plates more so than names now I think (says she who also has ED13 FOX :lol: ). It's nice to find out all these 480 histories though and hear of the original owners and reasons.

heavend
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by heavend » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:27 am

The rear bumper is off at the moment but when it goes back on it will be sporting a new plate. 480ES. True, I'll add a picture if I figure out how it is done on this site.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:14 pm

Just some more inane observations...

This started with the GT press cars being "BW" and suspected Lyehill Quarry supplied...

Well, I was watching the 1996 BTCC Review on VHS.. as you do... :lol:

There's a "team highlights" section for each manufacturer, with Volvo featuring the TWR 850 with Rickard Rydell and Kelvin Burt for 1996...

Excuse the shocking quality.. this is a VHS afterall.. and then photographed off my tellybox!

Anyway, when the drivers are interviewed in a special piece to camera, Kelvin Burt comes driving down the pitlane in a bright red 850R and pulls up alongside the Race transporter...

The car... well it has the same "BW" curly font number plate with the small Volvo logo at the bottom...

Without doubt from Lyehill Quarry and Kelvin Burt's "company car"?

I put "Volvo JBW" into Google and sure enough, another press car found...

I also found another red 850R parked in front of the same TWR 850 race trailer... but it isn't Burt's (N501JBW)...

The fantasist in me wants to believe that 406 was Rydell's?

Same curly font and discreet Volvo logo.

I note it has a device in the windscreen with two sticky plungers. This is well before satnav remember; I think it's one of those devices that detected speed cameras and radar back in the day. The perfect race driver's companion!

Yet again NxxxJBW is virtually all start to finish Volvo's... nearly 1000 cars (apart from the "nice" plates retained by DVLA for auction, such as N1JBW etc.)

There is no way a normal dealer would smash out these volumes, again further supporting Volvo's internal supply and PDI centre.
Jay-Kay-Em
Click here for My Cars

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 pm

I bloody love your nerdism!!!

Long may it continue!