480 offset crash test footage

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

480 offset crash test footage

Post by WillC9303 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:57 pm

Hi everyone it’s me again :lol:

I found some offset crash footage for the 480 in case somebody hasn’t seen it before?

This is the only footage I could find of an offset crash for this car. Sorry for the poor quality. I’m sure Volvo have a better quality side on view somewhere in their archives…

I’m not a car crash expert so I have no clue if this is good or not. The a-pillar at a right angle and bent door suggest it’s not :lol:

William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: 480 offset crash test footage

Post by jifflemon » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:22 am

You have to put this into context. That test was taking place about 36 years ago. It's easy to be horrified when comparing it against something modern, but compare it with it's peers of the time? Totally different.

Crash test's themselves weren't even a thing back then; there were tests, but no hard facts, no scores, nothing. Manufacturers crash-tested their cars, but they did so behind closed doors, never making the findings public. And even though they were crash-testing, they only had to meet very basic requirements.

Basically, so long as the car didn’t burst into flames on impact, and the crash test dummy’s head was still attached, it was a thumbs up and then off to the showroom. The manufacturers held the cards. EuroNCAP changed that in around 1997.

That's AFTER production of the 480 had stopped.

And yet, the 480, because well, Volvo, came with Side impact bars (which I think was a first), front and rear crumple zones, ABS, SRS, Airbags... Volvo certainly led the way in safety. In fact they did a very clever marketing campaign around it.

You want horror? Go look at the infamous Rover 100 crashtest, a test SO bad, that it vanished from sales less than 2 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUs-h23 ... l=EuroNCAP

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:25 am

jifflemon wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:22 am
You have to put this into context. That test was taking place about 36 years ago. It's easy to be horrified when comparing it against something modern, but compare it with it's peers of the time? Totally different.

Crash test's themselves weren't even a thing back then; there were tests, but no hard facts, no scores, nothing. Manufacturers crash-tested their cars, but they did so behind closed doors, never making the findings public. And even though they were crash-testing, they only had to meet very basic requirements.

Basically, so long as the car didn’t burst into flames on impact, and the crash test dummy’s head was still attached, it was a thumbs up and then off to the showroom. The manufacturers held the cards. EuroNCAP changed that in around 1997.

That's AFTER production of the 480 had stopped.

And yet, the 480, because well, Volvo, came with Side impact bars (which I think was a first), front and rear crumple zones, ABS, SRS, Airbags... Volvo certainly led the way in safety. In fact they did a very clever marketing campaign around it.

You want horror? Go look at the infamous Rover 100 crashtest, a test SO bad, that it vanished from sales less than 2 years later.

I’m not concerned by the crash results, as they were about what I would expect for a car of this age. I used to get driven round in a 740GL, and was even involved in a low speed collision at a junction in a Corsa B many years back, so I’m used to (by modern standards) unsafe cars.

I only posted this in case others hadn’t seen this footage as all the other crash tests of this car have been front-on into a solid block, and those tests don’t really tell you much…

The Rover 100 is a particularly extreme example as that was a much smaller car that first entered production as the MiniMetro in 1980(?). The 480 isn’t really that bad for its age. There looks to be plenty of survival space, and its far safer than say, a Renault Fuego, which I guess was a competitor for the 480 at the time.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:51 am

Yeah these cars are solid and safe. When you consider the passenger compartment is a safety cage and a solid one at that, it is on par with 'modern' stuff (after 1998) just without a hand grenade fixed over your crotch (on some models)

Indeed, I find this footage fascinating from an engineering perspective as you can see just where the strength has been engineered, these are very safe cars
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:12 pm

jifflemon wrote:

Basically, so long as ... the crash test dummy’s head was still attached, it was a thumbs up
:rofl:
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:03 pm

best to adopt the 'avoidance mode' ?

sadly I think that some folk have got to a 'the car will save me' mentality :(
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:56 pm

If I'm going to be in a car of any age (indeed, probably any car, but certainly of the 25 years plus bracket) I'll take my chances in a Volvo, thank you!

Volvo were making their name based on safety above all other factors (such as performance or economy) when many other manufacturers had still to even discover the word. Many modern safety features (not just seatbelts) originate with Volvo. It was their "usp" until the likes of EuroNCAP finally woke other manufacturers up.

The 480's safety features are excellent for its time, and that includes its crash protection. At the end of the day it needs to be pretty serious before you aren't going to get out and walk away, including an angled collision as per the stills above.
Sophisticated (for the time) passenger safety cage ("cages save lives", remember?) plus crumple zones plus interior that had some thought given to passenger impact and safety (such as padded dashboards and collapsible steering columns).

If that had been a Ford/Austin Rover/Renault etc of the time, you really would be looking at that and saying "ugh"....
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:31 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:56 pm
If I'm going to be in a car of any age (indeed, probably any car, but certainly of the 25 years plus bracket) I'll take my chances in a Volvo, thank you!

Volvo were making their name based on safety above all other factors (such as performance or economy) when many other manufacturers had still to even discover the word. Many modern safety features (not just seatbelts) originate with Volvo. It was their "usp" until the likes of EuroNCAP finally woke other manufacturers up.

The 480's safety features are excellent for its time, and that includes its crash protection. At the end of the day it needs to be pretty serious before you aren't going to get out and walk away, including an angled collision as per the stills above.
Sophisticated (for the time) passenger safety cage ("cages save lives", remember?) plus crumple zones plus interior that had some thought given to passenger impact and safety (such as padded dashboards and collapsible steering columns).

If that had been a Ford/Austin Rover/Renault etc of the time, you really would be looking at that and saying "ugh"....
I think Audi also had a feature whereby the Steering wheel was pulled away from you in a crash before they had airbags, really interesting seeing how these things developed
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Van
480 Connoisseur

Post by Van » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:30 am

jifflemon wrote:

Video is of a Renault Clio.
after over 10 years parted with the 1995 Volvo 480 ES 2.0

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:51 pm

as an aside did anybody see the short Top-Gear / Fifth-Gear where they drove a 7.5T into the back of a Suzuki/diddy Vauxhall and the truck shunted the car 100yds into the weeds :shock:

which thinking about it (as they should have) is about correct 7.5 Tonnes at 20mph plus an extra one Tonne car would mean that the 'assembly' would continue at 7.5/8.5 mph according to conservation of momentum.

you can ignore the few Joules used in deforming the ar5e end of the diddy car :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:30 pm

Van wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:30 am
jifflemon wrote:

Video is of a Renault Clio.
That’s weird, I’m seeing the Rover.

I wouldn’t be seen dead in one anyway and it looks like the chances would be high if I did get in!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:03 am

MisterH wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:31 pm
I think Audi also had a feature whereby the Steering wheel was pulled away from you in a crash before they had airbags, really interesting seeing how these things developed
Audi's procon-ten system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procon-ten) was so well engineered, Audi was one of the last manufacturers to incorporate an air bag in the design, as procon-ten was a more cost effective system to achieve the same results.

I have posted a 480 crash test video some time ago, this bit is interesting where lead engineer Frans Camperman opens the driver door after a rear impact:

https://youtu.be/2n7qx60pEVA?t=62

This is what Volvo used to give a competitive edge against the competition. For such a small car, the 480 was very safe for 1985 standards.
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:26 pm

brinkie wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:03 am
MisterH wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:31 pm
Audi's procon-ten system (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procon-ten) was so well engineered, Audi was one of the last manufacturers to incorporate an air bag in the design, as procon-ten was a more cost effective system to achieve the same results.

I have posted a 480 crash test video some time ago, this bit is interesting where lead engineer Frans Camperman opens the driver door after a rear impact:

https://youtu.be/2n7qx60pEVA?t=62

This is what Volvo used to give a competitive edge against the competition. For such a small car, the 480 was very safe for 1985 standards.
Fascinating stuff, don't suppose the B2 got it?
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks