Some seemingly random questions

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Some seemingly random questions

Post by WillC9303 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:23 pm

Hello everyone,

Because I'm still quite new to 480s (cars in general for that matter) I have a bunch of questions that I've been wanting to ask that all all pretty unrelated to each other but I thought I'd put them all here so I don't spam the forum with a bunch of rando questions.
  • How do I find the date of manufacture on my car? (Not the date of first registration as I already know that.)
  • How come only the very first and very last 480s came with the digital clock? I was recently offered one for a few euros, but don't know if they were just a really rare optional extra? I can understand if Volvo dropped it for cost reasons, but then they brought it back again towards end of production.
  • My headlining is drooping in the boot area. Can it be fixed or is it easier and cheaper to buy a another one?
  • I was reading about a recall for the early 2.0 cars (which I think mine is) and that they were refitted with a green dipstick model. Yet mine has a red dipstick...?
  • My gauge cluster has started to degrade and is peeling apart. Is this easy to fix?
  • My rear window washer isn't working. The washer bottle pump works fine and there doesn't seem to be a blockage at the other end. Is this a common problem?
  • What is the purpose of the switch next to the heated seat buttons? I understand it is to turn the long range lights off, but why would you want to do that? Would would be the point of turning it off?
  • Was the intruder alarm an optional extra? And would it be easy to fit a different coloured flashing LED instead? Weird mod, I know, but I want to fit a blue or purple one :D
  • In theory, how difficult/expensive would it be to retrofit a used 480 air-conditioning system? (Testing the water with this, as if its expensive and/or complex to do I won't bother.)
  • The Wikipedia page of the 480 page says that the wipers go to full when you push the accelerator pedal all the way down. Not only does this sound comedically dangerous but it doesn't seem to be working on my car. Does the engine have to be on for that?
  • I also read that the rear wiper is supposed to turn on whenever you do into reverse. Since mine doesn't do that, what do you think could be causing that?
  • Would it be possible to fit an adjustable seat base to the passenger seat, just like how the driver's seat has one?
  • My car has a weird idle. It doesn't idle too high or low, but it just randomly will fluctuate 1-2 hundred rpm sometimes then go back to normal. I've never seen this before. Is this a fuel delivery problem or something? I haven't had the chance to change the fuel filter since I got the car.
  • Do the front bumper bars get as rotten as the rear bumper bars? I don't think I'm ready to do that whole thing again :lol:
  • The rear speakers in my car are really bad. I'm not exactly an audiophile (the original cassette radio is fine for me) but they crackle like mad, even on low volume. I saw that you could get original Volvo speakers that fit into the cubby holes below. Are they a rare and expensive option, and are they worth fitting?
  • What are the rectangle shaped black blanking plates under the dash in both the front footwells?
Sorry for the wall of seemingly random and utterly pointless questions, I want to get to know my car a bit better and find out the causes of some of the issues!

Thanks in advance.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Some seemingly random questions

Post by jifflemon » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:59 pm

Love a random question (or 16!)
WillC9303 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:23 pm
How do I find the date of manufacture on my car? (Not the date of first registration as I already know that.)
Pop your Vin number into the VIN reader
WillC9303 wrote:
How come only the very first and very last 480s came with the digital clock? I was recently offered one for a few euros, but don't know if they were just a really rare optional extra? I can understand if Volvo dropped it for cost reasons, but then they brought it back again towards end of production.
My guess is cost cutting. See also, second rear fog lamp, illuminated Seat belt buckles, loss of gauges, thicker carpets etc etc
WillC9303 wrote:
My headlining is drooping in the boot area. Can it be fixed or is it easier and cheaper to buy a another one?
Can be removed and re-glued, or removed and replaced. Depends on how easily you can find a replacement.
WillC9303 wrote:
I was reading about a recall for the early 2.0 cars (which I think mine is) and that they were refitted with a green dipstick model. Yet mine has a red dipstick...?
A rabbit hole I'll not go down yet (as I want to find the technical data to back it all up)
WillC9303 wrote:
My gauge cluster has started to degrade and is peeling apart. Is this easy to fix?
Not without swapping the faces/clock - Oil or voltage?
WillC9303 wrote:
My rear window washer isn't working. The washer bottle pump works fine and there doesn't seem to be a blockage at the other end. Is this a common problem?
Usually is the rear nozzle that blocks - Remove it and check water pumps out of the hose, If so, a fine needle and some compressed air in a can will fix the nozzle.
WillC9303 wrote:
What is the purpose of the switch next to the heated seat buttons? I understand it is to turn the long range lights off, but why would you want to do that? Would would be the point of turning it off?
You're correct and no, I've no idea why anyone would want to do it. Even switched off, the lamps are used for "flashing" when the pop ups are closed.
WillC9303 wrote:
Was the intruder alarm an optional extra? And would it be easy to fit a different coloured flashing LED instead? Weird mod, I know, but I want to fit a blue or purple one
Factory fitted - it's nothing fancy, so an LED swap is entirely feasible.
WillC9303 wrote:
In theory, how difficult/expensive would it be to retrofit a used 480 air-conditioning system? (Testing the water with this, as if its expensive and/or complex to do I won't bother.)
I wouldn't bother with a used 480 system, as they'd be dead. If you were going to do it, you'd just want the evaporator (the bit in the heater matrix) and then I'd look at retro fitting "modern" components around it. It's what I'll be doing with the Turbo that has AC. For a non-AC car, it's not impossible, but it'd be quick a major task....
WillC9303 wrote:
The Wikipedia page of the 480 page says that the wipers go to full when you push the accelerator pedal all the way down. Not only does this sound comedically dangerous but it doesn't seem to be working on my car. Does the engine have to be on for that?
Early car feature - See "cost cutting" above..... :lol:
WillC9303 wrote:
I also read that the rear wiper is supposed to turn on whenever you do into reverse. Since mine doesn't do that, what do you think could be causing that?
Does your rear wiper work properly normally? and do your reversing lights work?
WillC9303 wrote:
Would it be possible to fit an adjustable seat base to the passenger seat, just like how the driver's seat has one?
Yes, there's a How to for that
WillC9303 wrote:
My car has a weird idle. It doesn't idle too high or low, but it just randomly will fluctuate 1-2 hundred rpm sometimes then go back to normal. I've never seen this before. Is this a fuel delivery problem or something? I haven't had the chance to change the fuel filter since I got the car.
Start with the fuel filter - often overlooked - and report back
WillC9303 wrote:
Do the front bumper bars get as rotten as the rear bumper bars? I don't think I'm ready to do that whole thing again
Yes, just not a quickly
WillC9303 wrote:
The rear speakers in my car are really bad. I'm not exactly an audiophile (the original cassette radio is fine for me) but they crackle like mad, even on low volume. I saw that you could get original Volvo speakers that fit into the cubby holes below. Are they a rare and expensive option, and are they worth fitting?
Cubby hole ones are worse - just replace your current ones with something semi-decent (but the fronts are way more important!)
WillC9303 wrote:
What are the rectangle shaped black blanking plates under the dash in both the front footwells?
Optional footwell lights - add to super rare wanted list, See the FAQ and make your own!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:07 pm

Red dipstick 2 litres were changed to green dipstick version if the buyer complained enough about the smoky exhaust. My 2 litre still has the red dipstick as well.
You have 3 washer bottle pumps, the tall one for the headlights and one each for front and rear screen.
The speed of the wipers will increase when you accelerate hard. Rear wipers only com on automatically with reverse gear if the front ones are on.
Aircon system would be expensive, you'd also need to change the alternator and PAS pump at least. Nothing is available le new so it would be pot luck on leaking condenser or evaporator.
Front bumper bar should be less rusty that rear but probably needs looking at.
New pair of front speakers is probably the best option for the crackling.
Blanking plates underage dash are where the vents would be if you had aircon
Aux lights aren't intended for regular use, mostly used if pop-up motor fails or it is particularly dark.
Dummy switch was intended for USA models where a central override switch for the door locks is a legal requirement.
I'll leave others to answer the rest.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richard-smyth » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:20 pm

Hi, recommend these Pioneer speakers as they are direct swaps :
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350856468705
Just done the back ones about 10 minutes ago and they sound quality.
Surprised the old speakers sounded as good as they did considering they had holes in them.
Going to do the front ones when I have some more free time.
Cheers, Richard.

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies, really appreciate it.
William

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:24 pm

Just to add a few points to what others have already told you:

The digital clock did not make a comeback, at least not in the UK. It was only in the first couple of years' models. Just like the auxiliary gauges, if you have seen one in a late model car, then it has been retro-fitted (and technically won't work properly as the early cars were wired so the light level of the display dimmed when the lights were switched on (ie at night). Hence the "pin space" in the connector to the analogue clock.

rear window washer - jet could be blocked or else, there is a connector just inside the headlining above the rear passenger seat, which often blocks. Or the pump may have failed - can you hear it whirring?

Although fitted in order to provide the flash function when the main headlights are not on, the auxiliary driving lights are just that, auxiliary lights. Many countries legally require auxiliary driving lights to be capable of being switched off.

Every 480 had a burglar alarm; simple one, working on the door/boot/bonnet switches plus the ignition. Early cars did not have an led at all; that came along around 1990. There was an optional remote control alarm and immobiliser, which was the same system as on the late 440s/460s - great while it works and an absolute pain when it doesn't!

Full speed wipers was a safety feature to stop you racing along with only intermittent wipers on. However it was a very fragile system, only on cars with the B18E engine (ie early cars) and is a CEM function using the ECU and a switch on the accelerator pedal.

Rear wiper when reversing is a CEM function. You must have the front wipers on in some form, and it is triggered from the reversing light switch so as Jeff says, are the reversing lights working?

Volvo rear cubby hole speakers were intended (as an extra cost option) for the early cars which only had front speakers. As Jeff says, they're not great. When you say yours are really bad, what state are they in?

Black rectangles - yes, these were for footwell lights but, to be really picky, they weren't an optional extra, just something fitted to very early cars only. Rapidly dropped to save costs! Easy to replicate and a nice feature if you do...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

richard-smyth

Post by richard-smyth » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:44 pm

These 13cm 3 way Pioneer speakers come as a pair.

WillC9303

Post by WillC9303 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:57 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:24 pm
The digital clock did not make a comeback, at least not in the UK.
I could swear the Celebs had the digi clocks? At least the one's I was looking at when I was on the market for a 480 did. I must be dreaming then...
dcwalker wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:24 pm
rear window washer - jet could be blocked or else, there is a connector just inside the headlining above the rear passenger seat, which often blocks. Or the pump may have failed - can you hear it whirring?
The pump works, I found that out when I disconnected the hose and it squirted washer fluid all over me and the engine bay. :lol: perhaps its a blockage somewhere in the pipe, as I took it out of the C-pillar and its bone dry.
jifflemon wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:59 pm
Not without swapping the faces/clock - Oil or voltage?
Not the aux, that one seems to be ok for now. I referring to the main cluster with the tachometer, speedo and info centre. It's started to peel around the mileage counter and the tacho and the back light is now bleeding through.
jifflemon wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:59 pm
Optional footwell lights - add to super rare wanted list
Well that's definitely something I will end up fitting. I assume most of the parts needed for it are what you say 'unobtanium'?
dragonflyjewels wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:07 pm
Red dipstick 2 litres were changed to green dipstick version if the buyer complained enough about the smoky exhaust. My 2 litre still has the red dipstick as well.
And yet mine went in for the recall 20 years ago for the new engine. Unless they fitted another oil burner? The most likely thing is that the dipstick got swapped around at some point probably. Or that the new engine just happened to have a red instead of green. I can only speculate.
richard-smyth wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:44 pm
These 13cm 3 way Pioneer speakers come as a pair.
Added those to the list, thanks.
William

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:13 pm

The red and green dipsticks were deliberately made to be non interchangeable, so if your dipstick is red the engine has to be the early version.
Sylvia

hubby has

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:06 am

Trust me Will, having owned 4 and worked on several more the Celebration did not have a digital clock :lol:

What you youngsters have to remember ;) is that digital clocks in cars were very 80s, and by the 90s we'd all gone retro and wanted analogue clocks. Fords of the time made a big feature of their oval, cream coloured face analogue clock in the centre console.

So for the 1995 market Volvo wouldn't have gone backwards and fitted a digital clock.

It's owners of much more recent times, to whom analogue clicks are old hat, who fel the need to go retro digital....

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:50 am

Early cars were generally better specced than later ones, due to Volvo having to bring the cost down on what was essentially a custom spec car they made little profit on. I fitted a digital clock to mine as I can't really use an analogue one, and I felt it spoilt the high-tech theme of the interior. However as mine is a 1988 car, they were still an option then I think
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Post by 100 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:53 pm

Seems like most of your questions have been answered but I do have something say on the AC point:

Assuming your moonroof works, put your windows down and open your moon roof. In my opinion, it's a far more enjoyable way to drive an older car. The benefit of doing so in the 480 is that they bothered to design a car that doesn't 'buffet' when the windows are down, unlike a lot of modern cars. The air will some in through the windows and rush out of moonroof.

In mid summer I drove from Norfolk to Devon (lane + motorway) with everything open and it was glorious, you stay relatively cool but still feel the sun and some of the heat of the day - perfect!

richard-smyth

Post by richard-smyth » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Hi, if you use the search function here on the forum and search for ' door card removal' you will find the instructions to replace the front speakers.
The Pioneer speakers I highlighted can be swapped for the front ones, but you will need to flatted the outer edge of the metal surround near the screw holes of the new speakers for them to fit correctly.
You will also need to solder on the two sets of wires to the new speakers or like me you can snap off the spade connectors from the old worn speakers and solder them onto the new speakers.
Cheers, Richard.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:18 am

In addition to everyone’s great replies…
WillC9303 wrote:
  • How do I find the date of manufacture on my car? (Not the date of first registration as I already know that.)
I think the year code in the VIN is model year, which is not necessarily build date. Model year might include revisions or updates that the car is built in advance for. So, a 93 “model year” car might of been built late 92.

Amazingly, Volvo customer services were really good for something 400 related. Shock horror! I gave them my VIN, and they gave me a whole host of dates. When it rolled off the production line and when it actually left the Born factory gates (for mine, many many months difference between those two!).

You may also have the 480 holy grail - of which I am infinitely jealous - the 480 build sheet. Some members have found one under the rear seat. I can’t find a photo of one (I have seen one on here but can’t recall the thread). This may have a date on. Sadly, due to higher than desirable interior moisture levels (aka pond) these are mostly long gone.

Sometimes I have to date cars professionally and you can normally take 10-15 random parts and check for date stamps. They are normally a year surrounded by 12 dots symbolising months. Thanks to “just-in-time” production methods pioneered by the Japanese in the late 70’s, most these parts are normally a month prior to that car driving off the line. However, as usual, the 480 is different. Some of my dates are miles out for what I believe are genuine original parts. Especially the fibreglass items like the nose cone or the rear window to roof pieces. My A-pillar trims that I posted the other day, these too I believe are original - they are a whole year out! Either Volvo thought they were going to sell a lot more of these cars or they just ignored Japanese efficiency and stockpiled.

Anyway, try Volvo Customer Services with your VIN and a pleasant covering E-Mail. Good luck!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:23 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:18 am
In addition to everyone’s great replies…
WillC9303 wrote:
I think the year code in the VIN is model year, which is not necessarily build date. Model year might include revisions or updates that the car is built in advance for. So, a 93 “model year” car might of been built late 92.

You may also have the 480 holy grail - of which I am infinitely jealous - the 480 build sheet. Some members have found one under the rear seat. I can’t find a photo of one (I have seen one on here but can’t recall the thread). This may have a date on. Sadly, due to higher than desirable interior moisture levels (aka pond) these are mostly long gone.
yes I found that under rear seat :-)

this might work?
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35859&p=221521&hilit=seat#p221510
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:09 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:23 pm
yes I found that under rear seat

this might work?
That's the kiddie :D

Now if that was a Plymouth, trying to prove it was a Superbird, that bit of paper could be worth $50,000+

Probably worth a bit less in a 480, but still, what better proof of production date!

Thanks Alan (and Jeff)
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:35 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:09 pm
Alan 480 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:23 pm
yes I found that under rear seat

this might work?
That's the kiddie :D

Now if that was a Plymouth, trying to prove it was a Superbird, that bit of paper could be worth $50,000+

Probably worth a bit less in a 480, but still, what better proof of production date!

Thanks Alan (and Jeff)
that's one of Jeffs, mine is tucked into the front of the A4 rung binder :-)

if you were sad you could create one IF you could get hands on a dot matrix printer ;) the local motor factor still uses one!
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:41 pm

Assuming your moonroof works, put your windows down and open your moon roof. In my opinion, it's a far more enjoyable way to drive an older car. The benefit of doing so in the 480 is that they bothered to design a car that doesn't 'buffet' when the windows are down, unlike a lot of modern cars. The air will some in through the windows and rush out of moonroof.

In mid summer I drove from Norfolk to Devon (lane + motorway) with everything open and it was glorious, you stay relatively cool but still feel the sun and some of the heat of the day - perfect!
I'll second that and add that winter driving is enhanced by having the heater on full blast and the moonroof open - body lovely and warm with fresh crisp air circulating around the head is great.
Sylvia

hubby has