Rescue 480’s latest ?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Rescue 480’s latest ?

Post by richard-smyth » Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:34 am

Like everyone else I think the 480 Club Europe UK Rescue Group efforts are amazing, but please could we have a status report as I would like to know the latest state of play.

R1 : Was stored to make way for R2 ? Don’t know any details.

R2 : Reg N993PUD a storm grey 2 litre 1995 480 Celebration no 331 done 43k miles. Now know as PUD,
was the first rescue car to be saved from a scrap yard, rebuilt and then rehomed.

R3 : Reg F898LPH a Two Tone petrol blue 1988 480 done 37k miles. Saved from a one man band bodyshop. Don’t know the latest.

R4 : Reg G482NVF a white 1995(?) and the first Turbo, done 167km which is 104k miles. Don’t know the latest.

R5 : Reg H576FGV a black 1991 480 Turbo done 140k miles. Saved from Copart auction. In the process of been rebuilt ?

R6 : Reg M975NKL the first GT, a red 1994 480 with 116k miles. Which was saved from a tyres dealer and is in the process of being rebuilt.
What size engine does R6 have ? Also what is the actual colour name of the R6 red ?

R7 : Is there even a R7 ?

Cheers, Richard.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Rescue 480’s latest ?

Post by dcwalker » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:45 am

Richard

I'm happy to provide a quick update here (otherwise we try to update the individual threads for each car when there is something to report) - thanks for being interested and this might help others as well.

R1 - currently with Jeff, work ongoing
R2 - you know about - she is now with you!
R3 - rehomed with Norman (Norm57) in Knaresborough - still receiving ongoing attention from me periodically.
R4 - stored with Sylvia - replacement doors and wings being sourced
R5 - currently with Jeff, work ongoing but making good progress and looking vastly better last time I saw her!
R6 - has just come out of the body shop, having previously been the subject of Jeff's diligent attentions. Coming to me today for work to continue, but she is almost ready to find a new home. I will take on updating her thread...
R7 - yes, she does exist! A black 2.0 auto, currently stored with Sylvia but small bits of work being done.

As you'll appreciate, this is all a labour of love being done around all of life's other commitments. There is also the ever present problem of space to store these cars once rescued - their first port of call is Jeff in Milton Keynes. He has done absolutely amazing work and dedicated hours and hours, not to mention many of his own parts, to these cars. But obviously he also has his job, plus the rest of life, and a limit to how many cars he can have at his house. They then, as appropriate, will come to me to carry on the work of rescuing them.

Hence some cars appear to make quick progress whereas others have to wait a while.

Two points worth highlighting:
  • we are not aiming to restore these cars; they are being rescued, by which we mean being returned to a road-worthy condition, complete with MOT, and serviced so as to provide a new owner with a useable car that they can take forward as they wish. Depending on how the car starts off will dictate how far we go with them, but using Pud as an example, Jeff did great work but you have seen how much more I then did to get her to where she is now.
  • donations are always welcome, in the form of money or useful parts!
Finally, and most important of all, we can only keep rescuing cars if they have homes to go to at the end of the process. So I'd ask everyone on here to spread the word wherever they can - we have 480s needing new homes, and the sooner a sponsor is on board the easier it all becomes :D

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:37 am

So, here's some updates (done in multiple posts to stop the forum banning me as spammer for posting too many links!)

Completed rescues

R2 - Don't think I need to say much about this one! :rofl:
R3 - Early blue car. Now with Norm
R6 - The GT. Now looking for a new home.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:39 am

In Progress Rescues

R1 - The car that started this madness....

R5 - The black turbo

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:43 am

The Queued Rescues

R4 - The LHD turbo
R7 - The automatic

So in theory that's 5 cars looking for future homes. Also bare in mind that this isn't some massive professional organization churning out full blown restorations to sell on for huge profits; It's predominantly just me, trying to squeeze in work on them, in between a full time job, a dog and 7 of my own cars.

richard-smyth
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by richard-smyth » Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:15 pm

Hadn't realised the sheer level of work being undertaken and rescues completed.
Thank you Rescue group and especially to Jeff for his commitment to the cause.
The quality of the cars rescued is humbling and inspirational.
I feel privileged to own one.
Cheers Richard.

David
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by David » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:45 am

Well done Jeff and thank you for all you are doing. I'm in the queue for one of these when they eventually are completed...