Keeping your 480 outdoors

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Keeping your 480 outdoors

Post by johnny_e » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:44 pm

Firstly, apologies for lurking so long. 14 years, 8 posts :roll:

I'm still keeping an eye open over here in NI for the right 480. I've found two this past few years but both were in too much of a state for me to take on.

I've got one other problem.... well two.... My son and a Mazda MX5! He fell for MX5s when he was just 8 years old so I bought a lovely wee MK2.5 back in 2013. I've spent the past 9 years refining it into a really fun B road toy.

It's part of the family now and it's a keeper. My son is 16 now and never wants it to go!

But.... I still hanker after a 480. As a teenager, I'll never forget my neighbour taking me for a drive in his black turbo. He worked in the local Volvo dealers and my Dad owned a 343 at the time which was a great old motor.

The problem however is this;. I've only got a single garage that the Mazda stays in. It's a delicate wee thing and doesn't do well in the wet and cold. If I get a 480 it'll have to stay outdoors. I've no room to build a carport or similar so it would have to be in the driveway with perhaps a winter cover in bad conditions.

Do many of you keep your 480s outside? I'd hate to go for it and see it deteriorate for not being garaged.
Last edited by johnny_e on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Keeping your 408 outdoors

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:39 pm

Any chance of squeezing a carcoon onto the drive for the winter ? Ours is absolutely brilliant, car is not only dry but has a constant flow of air under and over it, and the battery is kept topped up as well. Running costs are minimal - before electricity prices started going silly, it was less than £40 if you ran it for a year, 24/7. Well worth the £600 purchase price and installation of an outside socket.
They aren't exactly practical to use when the car is on the road, but dry winter storage would help it a lot.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

WillC9303
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by WillC9303 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 pm

I keep my 480 outside, but wash it regularly and and keep the moss and leaves off it. Granted I've only had it less than 3 months, but it seems to be fine. Its running 21 year old Firestone tyres so I don't care much if they degrade as I’ll eventually get round to replacing them.

I think I will invest in a car cover, though.
Last edited by WillC9303 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
William

1993 2.0i Limited Edition

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 pm

I keep mine outside, it does get damp inside and often there is ice on the inside of the window, but the only problem I had with it was a Bin Lorry smacking it the other day, and my paranoia over theft, other than that, if you keep on top of washing it and caring for it, there is no reason why it is a major problem...
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Keeping your 480 outdoors

Post by dcwalker » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:31 am

The 480 is like any other car - in an ideal world it'd live in a garage, but we can't all provide that (me included).

I work on the basis that if you keep the car well cleaned and well polished, and if it's off the road for any period of time (eg sorned over winter) put a cover on it, it should be fine.

I know views on car covers vary, so that is one for you. However, I have had my green GT for 6 years now and what I have described is how she lives, and I don't think anyone would suggest she was any the worse for it!

The main issue to consider with a 480 is whether it is water-tight or not. Most aren't. I have finally (I think!!) got all water ingress dealt with on the GT, but I still have an old dishcloth under the boot carpet in each rear corner, and if it's rained I check them, remove if wet, and ensure the carpet gets dried out properly.

I hope that helps?

And - ahem - the same applies to Pud, who I have for sale on here... ;)

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Knows where Volvo is from

Post by 100 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:15 am

Mine also lives outside. But if you do, make sure you use it regularly.

MX5 looks great, very purposeful.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am

In some respects, keeping them outside is better for them. You'll find out if it leaks quicker for starters. I still park mine "nose up" whenever possibly!

The only thing is that you'll have a little more maintenance to do if it's kept outside - Cleaning, protecting etc.

But hey, it's a 480 - maintenance is part and parcel of owning one!

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:00 pm

I was a Carcoonist with mine.

As Sylvia says, a pain full time (I hardly ever left mine out if it) but a lifesaver over the freezing months.

Only thing is, you really need two people to put it on. I don’t have two people so was forever dragging over the paint….

One thing I absolutely advise, Carcoon or not, is those cheap de- humidifier boxes from the pound/Home Bargains type shops. Pack of 4 for a few quid. The difference is really great. I leave one in the front, rear and boot over cold months and would do too in summer if it was living out, night temps do drop don’t they. Great for maintaining the interior.

I would always try and keep it clean, like everyone says. I always washed/pressure washed under the arches so they weren’t sat with filth building up. Simple warm water and microfibre cloth all over the rest (constantly if you’re me).

I did invest in a DA polisher which I loved and really helped the paintwork too (with the Meguiars 3-step polishes).

If you want a Carcoon, I’d buy second hand. I think a lot of people give up on them. You can probably get a size 4 one for around £400. I think they retail about £600. I bought from Demon Tweeks. All places make to order I believe so be prepared to wait about a month of you do buy new.

I also used to lift up/out my rear boot mat to stop any wet from sitting under the sponge if it was left out.

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 pm

Thanks for much for all the quick replies... Rather than multi quote, I'll just reply to all here.

I've plenty of room out front in the drive but the main space free is right in front of the living room window so a carcoon wouldn't pass the family test! They don't share my passion for old cars.... So as a friend recently told me (after buying another spare car)... "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission" :D

My one experience of outdoor covers was many moons ago. A cheap, single layer cover. I was amazed to find the car completely soaking wet UNDER the cover. That's probably what puts me off.... But I see auto express reviewed outdoor covers recently and there are some rather decent looking breathable, multi layer covers on the market.

My wife's B class Mercedes doesn't get driven much and the interior mists up badly so I must indeed get a batch of those dehumidifier boxes.

David..... PUD is causing me sleepless nights! I downloaded all your images to my phone a few nights ago. I'd been starting to cost up a supercharger conversion for my MX5. I can bring PUD home to NI on a transporter for less! No contest.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:12 pm

johnny_e wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 pm
David..... PUD is causing me sleepless nights! I downloaded all your images to my phone a few nights ago. I'd been starting to cost up a supercharger conversion for my MX5. I can bring PUD home to NI on a transporter for less! No contest.
But you could drive it home even cheaper still!

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:33 pm

johnny_e wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:20 pm
Thanks for much for all the quick replies... Rather than multi quote, I'll just reply to all here.

I've plenty of room out front in the drive but the main space free is right in front of the living room window so a carcoon wouldn't pass the family test! They don't share my passion for old cars.... So as a friend recently told me (after buying another spare car)... "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission" :D

My one experience of outdoor covers was many moons ago. A cheap, single layer cover. I was amazed to find the car completely soaking wet UNDER the cover. That's probably what puts me off.... But I see auto express reviewed outdoor covers recently and there are some rather decent looking breathable, multi layer covers on the market.

My wife's B class Mercedes doesn't get driven much and the interior mists up badly so I must indeed get a batch of those dehumidifier boxes.

Having seen Pud in the flesh several times it would certainly be a good purchase and very reasonably priced.David has spent plenty of time and money on it and it’s a fine low mileage,solid car.

GCooper
Started learning about 480

Post by GCooper » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:06 pm

I keep mine outdoors, I've had it over a year and I know it does leak. I find the door pockets are perfect size for interior dehumidifiers!
'94 Volvo 480 GT (project)
'98 BMW Z3 (daily)

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:14 pm

Well... if there's one thing I learned from this thread... "don't hesitate".

I'd been waiting for transportation quotes from 2 firms before messaging about PUD.

Oh well... that one wasn't for me... I'll keep watching and visiting the forum! On a plus point, door to door from York to me here in County Armagh, £350 which was really reasonable I thought.

I must take a drive in the morning and see is that red 1.7 Turbo still unsold a few miles from me here. I'd avoided bidding in the end as it has been laid up for 10 years in a driveway and full of damp.

In the meantime, took my MK5 out of winter slumber at the weekend and gave it a good polish and warmup before tucking it away again till Spring. These are amazing cars to drive and some day, a great compliment to a 480 i think!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:51 pm

johnny_e wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:14 pm
Well... if there's one thing I learned from this thread... "don't hesitate".

Sorry Johnny, it was indeed a case of he who hesitates is lost! :lol: Mind you, I wasn't expecting Pud to move on quite so quickly myself - I had initial contact with Richard on the Friday, he came over on the Saturday, and by about 9.20am it was clear the car was sold...

Being brutally honest though, at least she's only gone to York rather than across the Irish Sea, meaning I can keep an eye on her and make sure Richard's treating her properly!

Good luck with your search - don't forget the Rescue cars that we have underway (indeed, that was how Pud started). There's a rather nice metallic red GT undergoing some body and paint work as I type...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:03 pm

I was actually pleased to see it went to a father and son near you... my own son is 16 and very much sees the MX5 as his inheritance at this stage! I'll keep quietly watching the market and the "R" cars here. I do have a preference for a late/facelift car and ideally, a low mileage 2.0 with half/full leather.

There's a rather nice green one on C&C. Is it known to the forum? Its in Surrey so pretty much couldn't be further away from me!!!

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1414327

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:25 pm

Thanks Johnny, Richard's lad clearly has his eye set on Pud!

That car in Surrey isn't (well, IMHO anyway) worth the money. Various things jump out from the photos to suggest to me that it just hasn't been overly well-cared for. Yes, it's a good colour, and the interior looks quite decent, but there have clearly been some messy attempts to re-seal the rear lights, and the poor front end - the splitter is, well, split, the front bumper's been knocked about quite badly, and it looks as if the number plate plinth has been broken as well. That immediately makes me wonder what the car has been hitting?

Plus it's on the worse wheels ever - the 14" Antares which look like a cheap copy of a wheel but are, indeed, genuine Volvo.

May well be a good basis for further work, but - to me, having just sold a far better example for considerably less - that is not a £3,750 car.

David

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:26 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:25 pm
Thanks Johnny, Richard's lad clearly has his eye set on Pud!

That car in Surrey isn't (well, IMHO anyway) worth the money. Various things jump out from the photos to suggest to me that it just hasn't been overly well-cared for. Yes, it's a good colour, and the interior looks quite decent, but there have clearly been some messy attempts to re-seal the rear lights, and the poor front end - the splitter is, well, split, the front bumper's been knocked about quite badly, and it looks as if the number plate plinth has been broken as well. That immediately makes me wonder what the car has been hitting?

Plus it's on the worse wheels ever - the 14" Antares which look like a cheap copy of a wheel but are, indeed, genuine Volvo.

May well be a good basis for further work, but - to me, having just sold a far better example for considerably less - that is not a £3,750 car.

David
that green one is actually the one that was (formerly) local to me. The Owner reached out for me to have a look and took me out for a drive in it. It's pretty straight mechanically having been dry stored as well means bodywork is in good nick. It was a bit scruffy, but the biggest thing about it was once he got it on the road the cam belt snapped so needed an engine rebuild, which I understand was done. My estimate for it would be around £2800, Antares wheels are horrible, but they can be easily changed
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

johnny_e
480 Newbie

Post by johnny_e » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:32 pm

I'd only looked at that ad on my phone and didn't bother to save the pictures to view better. That front end has had a right few cracks off something Indeed!

Not the one for me.

I'm not afraid to get stuck in, but I got a real sickener with the MX5. I took the rear end off it myself with the plan to use POR15 and get it quickly rebuilt. It was a slippery slope...... And the car ended up off the road for 4 years!

I'd rather have something solid and pay the appropriate price for it... So I can then keep it right and bring it back to a condition that it deserves.

Quick question: were the 1.7 turbos available as a facelift or just in the 1st gen (orange indicator) model?

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:56 am

The 1.7 turbo was available from 1989 right through until the end in 1995. So yes, facelifted with the white indicators and later style fog lights.

The 2.0i came in in 1993 so most of the 2.0i cars are facelift models - there will have been a small number of early ones with orange indicators and the oil-drinking red-dipstick engine (at which point he ducks and waits for Sylvia (dragonflyjewels) to jump in... ;)

David