Forgotten Favourites Display - Beaulieu Autojumble 2021

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Forgotten Favourites Display - Beaulieu Autojumble 2021

Post by MisterH » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:24 pm

*This was also put on my serial thread, but felt it should probably have it's own thread given the contents

Yesterday I displayed the Volvo at the Forgotten Favourites line-up at the Beaulieu Autojumble. It was a great event, first time I had been, and I managed to bring some more automotive literature into my life too.

The Forgotten Favourites feature, while never intended to be the main event, I personally felt was a bit of a flop. There was a lot of nice cars and I had some great conversations (more on that in a bit) I felt the exhibit was just a little bit out of place, quite a few people seemed more interested in the older stuff. Modern classics, while certainly having their fans, didn't quite feel like they were in the right place (backed up by the fact that I couldn't find much in the way of post 1979 parts in the actual autojumble - granted I couldn't get to see it all).

In spite of this, it was a very productive day in terms of spreading the word about the club. I was approached by a young lady in her early 20s who said she had one exactly like mine (same colour, F-Reg) which she sold a couple years ago but was trying to buy back (classic :lol: ) so I pointed her in the direction of here. Bigger news was to come though.

After a mooch around the grounds I came back to find a card on the wiper blade, with a number requesting a call. A lot of people mistook the display for sales, so I was prepared to call up but not expecting much. However the chap returned while I was with the car and it turned out he lived locally and had a "Green, low mileage" 480 in his garage that he had bought for his grandson who had never used it. He said it ran and drove, but needed work for its MOT (DRL lense and pop up motor he said). Obviously I was very interested in this, so intend to try and get to see it this week. I have no idea if is is S/ES/Turbo/GT or what, but certainly worth a look. I know the Rescue group is getting overloaded but this could be a good one (I know that's what we said about all the others, but if it really is as bad as a lens and pop up motor it must be worth a look. Even I could mend those; probably)

On the way back the engine was running a little lumpy and continued being a bit funny today (I knew my father shouldn't have cleaned the engine with the garden hose) and the worlds most annoying squeak has continued its mischief from somewhere in the dash binnacle. And I have decided that now is the right time to replace the rear shocks which have been on there since before 2006 when it went into storage (probably not on axle stands either :kill: )

If anyone can recommend what shocks to get that would be really good. I am taking the car for the IoW Festival in a couple of weeks time and I would prefer not to have an adventure become a (Dutch) Scandi-drama :rofl:

Watch this space though, shall be an interesting week

Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Re: Forgotten Favourites Display - Beaulieu Autojumble 2021

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:58 pm

Nice write up Ben.

I also sense an old timers / young timers split at some of these shows but I don’t think it’s justified. No one can argue that an F reg car is “modern”….. we are +35 years for goodness sake!

The D reg mk1 MR2 is bonafide classic and even the slippery Celica is there already I’d say.

I see you picked up something Piazza related. Are you scratching that itch soon?

As a brochure geek, anything with a (UK?) Sapporo on the cover is a nice thing to have. Mitsubishi’s recent U.K. demise is a sad thing from the glory days of WRC.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Forgotten Favourites Display - Beaulieu Autojumble 2021

Post by MisterH » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:28 pm

Well after reading up about how good the HBL variant was it has pipped the Audi 80 quattro for the top of the want list again. I see it as an inevitability that I will own both at some point however the Isuzu seems more achievable as it hasn't got any Yo #RetroAudi lickers after it and pushing prices up. I am not sure if I want to scratch the Turbo or 4WD itch first, though with the family WR quattro still around (albeit running terribly at the moment) that is another matter of time. As for the Sapporo, I would say it is one of my favourite cars from them, 1980s Subaru and Mitsubishi being my favourite eras for each brand. There was a Sapporo for sale a couple years back that really made me able to forgo my Anti-Auto bias as it has cruise control and so many other retro toys which I love, and the wheels were those lovely alloys as on the cover. (yes it is a UK brochure)

I think it is a case of there being an old guard (nothing personal but it seems to be those who hanker after big healeys) in the classic car world who think it can't be a classic if it hasn't got chrome on it or something along those lines. That being said the classic car world is one of the most open and welcoming hobbies to be in, granted there are some areas of snobbery that seem to linger.

As for the MR2, though they aren't anywhere near being one of my favourite cars, that has to be one of the best pictures I have ever taken, the dew had been there overnight giving an amazing look to the shot. And the Celica, nice, but it is the ST165 that makes me hot under the collar...
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild