AA vs RAC breakdown recovery services

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Martin63
Knows where Volvo is from

AA vs RAC breakdown recovery services

Post by Martin63 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:57 am

What are people's views on the pluses and minuses of the AA vs the RAC? I know the AA has the larger network, but also seems to be more expensive.

I am also looking for some cover that would give me support if needed in countries like Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany.

I can imagine a car like a 480 might flummox a few roadside recovery services......

What are people's views?
Last edited by Martin63 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
480 ES - M696 UFC - January 1995
480 GT - M586 TMF - August 1994

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: AA vs RAC breakdown recovery services

Post by jifflemon » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:21 am

In "the old days" I used to always say RAC - Mainly because they were the only ones who'd recover you from a race circuit.

However, as my best mate left the RAC 3 years, I can tell you it's absolutely not the organisation it once was. Its now just profit driven, fleece the motorist. They're losing "proper" breakdown technicians hand over fist, as they get punished for not selling.

My insurance company gives me recovery service, and as the car is well maintained, if I do need the services (such as when I left the volvo 600!) its for recovery home, nothing else.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:28 am

Hi Martin

I have used both. I find Start Rescue to be the best, cheapest and fasted as they use a network of recovery companies. They are fine with the age of the 480, you might find the AA/RAC won't cover it due to age.

I have called out the RAC to my other cars a few times, one time I waiting six hours.

I also find the 480 needs a full loading truck, not just the hike up onto the back of a Transit type van due to the lack of height at the front.

You can call out start rescue by the app too which keeps you updated. I currently have the 480 with start rescue, you can always find discount codes too, I think I used something like APP15 just last week.

Saying that, I am with RAC for the C30 as that came with the best insurance deal I could get this year. I was with RAC a few years ago when the crank sensor went on my Astravan. he did go off and get the part and fix it at the roadside. In all honesty, that's really the only time that's ever happened. I think most just take you to a garage.

I believe that if you break down in Europe, or even quite far away in the UK, you get swapped from truck to truck along the way as certain companies only go up to certain boundaries.

I probably got the 480 recovered 3 or 4 times in '19-'20 and that was always with Start.

Hope that helps :)

Martin63

Post by Martin63 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am

edie_fox wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:28 am
Hi Martin

I have used both. I find Start Rescue to be the best, cheapest and fasted as they use a network of recovery companies. They are fine with the age of the 480, you might find the AA/RAC won't cover it due to age.

I have called out the RAC to my other cars a few times, one time I waiting six hours.

I also find the 480 needs a full loading truck, not just the hike up onto the back of a Transit type van due to the lack of height at the front.

You can call out start rescue by the app too which keeps you updated. I currently have the 480 with start rescue, you can always find discount codes too, I think I used something like APP15 just last week.

Saying that, I am with RAC for the C30 as that came with the best insurance deal I could get this year. I was with RAC a few years ago when the crank sensor went on my Astravan. he did go off and get the part and fix it at the roadside. In all honesty, that's really the only time that's ever happened. I think most just take you to a garage.

I believe that if you break down in Europe, or even quite far away in the UK, you get swapped from truck to truck along the way as certain companies only go up to certain boundaries.

I probably got the 480 recovered 3 or 4 times in '19-'20 and that was always with Start.

Hope that helps :)
A big help - thanks! :-)

"I probably got the 480 recovered 3 or 4 times in '19-'20" makes me a bit nervous though - what am I getting myself into with my first 480?! Just joking - I am going into this with my eyes open. A January 1995 car will inevitably have some challenges. It's all part of the fun :-)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:44 am

I use Autoaid which covers me (and my wife) to drive any car, including old ones. The AA (and maybe RAC) are now owned by venture capitalists who are loading it it with debt and extracting lots of money from it... their days of good service are long gone because they’ve been cut to the bone.

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

Autoaid successfully sent contractors out to recover the current 480 from Scotland to Cambridge, once with the previous 480 near home when the battery died and also when I had my sister’s car and it wouldn’t start they successfully found that the stop solenoid was sticky.

The cost is £59.99 for the year and I’m very happy with them. By all means go with RAC and AA if they are the same price or cheaper.

As for international cover, it is best to buy this “as and when” from the RAC. Having recently took an old car abroad, most old cars are excluded from the extra cover— the RAC is a notable exception in this case. The BIG thing to watch out for is that you are usually only covered for recovery back to the UK on an international trip UP TO the value of the car. So you basically get a cheque for the value of the car and your car written off if it’s serious. So, I took this cover with a pinch of salt... it might have gotten the C70 going again but I would have not gotten it home again if would have been an expensive fix!
Last edited by jamescarruthers on Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:59 am

We are with Swinton who do the AA style policy of covering the policy holder and spouse rather than the car so we don't need individual policies for all our cars. Having said that, most of our classic insurance policies for the 480s include breakdown anyway.
I have only once had a 480 roadside repair when Snazzy's alternator failed late at night in central London, when I was with the AA.
We have also tried Green Flag - like Swinton they use a network of local breakdown companies and we always end up being recovered.
Swinton offer UK only or Europe as well. Our Saab broke down in Spain a few years back and the local guy who came out did a roadside fix - language would have been a problem had we not been able to limp to our hotel. The lovely receptionist spoke perfect English and stayed behind to help us after she should have closed up and gone home for Christmas.
Swinton assured us that the car's value was irrelevant if we had to be recovered from Europe. The downside is that they are expensive, but we regularly take the 480s abroad so it's worth the extra to us.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:17 am

Good tip on Swinton, I will look in to them for next year for out-of-UK travels. Cheers.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 am

Ah yes. Worth a mention; Start offer vehicle or individual cover.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:36 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:28 am
Hi Martin

with the AA, and possibly RAC & Green Flag anything over ten years old is NOT covered.

not sure if this is still valid?
the SS1 is even lower at the front and the guy managed to get it onto the dolly, without any engine running and off again at home free wheeling downhill at full tilt in reverse to get up into the drive!!

BUT
if you take 'family' cover then no age limitation on the car(s) useful when the newest in fleet is already 13 years old.

We haggle on price every year with the AA to keep 'same as last year'

and I've used it a few times, recovery of SS1 when it blew front cam-shaft oil seal, and once when the bearing on the car trailer 'stood up' in Ayrshire with half an SS1 on the back!
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

Espada
Started learning about 480

Post by Espada » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:56 pm

To be honest it's swings and roundabouts.

I cover around 35k a year in a company car and as such my company will send whoever is closet.

Both the AA and RAC have recovered two Fords who's gear levers failed at around 120K, Ford with a damaged clutch, Ford with a failed charging system (4 times in one day) and a Fiat who's cam chain parted company at 70mph in lane three of the A1M, that one was fun.

All parties have been helpful, prompt, knowledgeable and courteous so could not pick between them, so see which is offering you the best deal.

As has been noted the only thing to be cautious of is that some of the recovery companies used to limit the age of the vehicle, It would be worth checking the small print to ensure the 480 is covered.

On a plus note I now have a new Ford and guess what, the engine failed at 2K warranty replacement now fitted.

Martin63

Post by Martin63 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:28 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:17 am
Good tip on Swinton, I will look in to them for next year for out-of-UK travels. Cheers.
I used Swinton for both of my C30s. They were good - although I didn't need to make any claims. Their rates were decent.