Haynes motor museum breakfast club (Future classics post 1980)

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Haynes motor museum breakfast club (Future classics post 1980)

Post by MisterH » Sun May 23, 2021 12:30 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:47 am
MisterH wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:04 pm
I had almost forgotten, had a lot on recently, but shall see if I can go, I will definitely meet you guys at the Autobarn
We will only be at the Autobarn on Saturday morning (not Sunday), before we go to visit the Haynes Museum. Tickets for the museum are still available if anyone fancies going.
Ok I shall have a talk and see if my father would like to join

*Edit
Done, I shall meet you at the autobarn saturday morning and we can go from there
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

Martin63
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Martin63 » Sun May 23, 2021 9:16 pm

Edmundpwb2 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:43 pm
Oh poop. I went to book the June breakfast club and it's now sold out. I went to May's breakfast club but since then they have joined the two events back together so all cars in at once (post and pre 1980's cars?) I guess I will have to book the July one instead. I could still come out for a drive though. :wall:
Yep - looks like it's sold out and I don't have a ticket :(
480 ES - M696 UFC - January 1995
480 GT - M586 TMF - August 1994

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 pm

We are off to the Haynes International Motor Museum on Saturday (as in, the day after tomorrow)

We will be meeting MisterH at the Winchester Autobarn at 9am and driving in a mini-convoy to the museum - anyone who would like to join us is very welcome. Martin63 will be coming to the museum later in the day, so we will get to meet him as well.

Tickets for the Breakfast Club on Sunday are long gone unfortunately.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Martin63
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by Martin63 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:57 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:54 pm
We are off to the Haynes International Motor Museum on Saturday (as in, the day after tomorrow)

We will be meeting MisterH at the Winchester Autobarn at 9am and driving in a mini-convoy to the museum - anyone who would like to join us is very welcome. Martin63 will be coming to the museum later in the day, so we will get to meet him as well.

Tickets for the Breakfast Club on Sunday are long gone unfortunately.
Really looking forward to it Sylvia! The weather forecast is good too :D
480 ES - M696 UFC - January 1995
480 GT - M586 TMF - August 1994

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:49 pm

We had a great day on Saturday - met up with MisterH and his dad at the Winchester Autobarn - dad is a real petrolhead too, although usually on two wheels. He entertained us with tales of his exploits, including a trip from Cape Horn to Alaska. We all got on really well and time flew, but eventually we set off in convoy for the Haynes Museum. It was a really enjoyable visit - we all loved a Tatra with beautiful finishing touches, but I think for me the highlight was a fish-tailed Auburn. It was great to meet a member we'd only seen in photos before, and his car was very impressively rust free with nice solid arches. Well done on picking it Ben !

Sunday was the Breakfast Club, which produced a huge eclectic mix of cars. On arrival, we got a thumbs up from the guy on the gate with the comment that he hadn't seen a 480 in years and then 2 turn up together. There was everything from an unrestored XK150 drophead to an immaculate vivid yellow Noble. We left Sven and Snazzy side by side, with information boards on the dashes and I was quite surprised at how many people had a good look. Al and I were agreed on our pick of the day - a Jensen C V8 in lovely condition.

Sadly, Martin wasn't able to make it, but I'm sure we will get to meet him before much longer.
Sylvia

hubby has

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 pm

Looks like a fantastic meet, it was great to meet you guys. I was somewhat gutted I missed out on Sunday - Gavin of Petrolblog was there and I have been wanting to meet him for a while, given that I sent my 480 article to him to be included in a new magazine called Classic.Retro.Modern, however it was wonderful to have a proper run out in the Wedge, even if it was the last straw for my poor CEM :lol:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:25 pm

Here is the text which accompanied the photos of Sven and Snazzy on the Instagram post:

chrismhpassey
When was the last time you saw a…Volvo 480? From a manufacturer known for its big, square saloons and estates, the 480 was something of a revelation and encapsulated the design language of the late 80s. Pop-up headlights, that rounded wedge shape and the chunky bumpers, this was a step into the unknown for the Swedish giant. This was also the first FWD car to be built by Volvo too.

At the time of its launch was likened to a distant successor of the P1800 of the 1960s. Of course, like the 340 and many other small Volvos over the years, it was built in collaboration with the Dutch company DAF at their factory.

These two fine examples were part of the eclectic mix of vehicles at this month’s #haynesbreakfastclub. They are both later examples of the model; a 1993 ES and a 1994 GT, a limited run version (of just 3 months!)

Both were immaculately presented by the Volvo 480 UK group and I really should have taken a photo of the display sheets as they were awash with info you may have wanted to read! (As a bonus, the only 480 I’ve spotted recently “in the wild” from last year.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pity he didnt photograph the information, he might have got the club name right if he had !! :wall: I have (I think !) posted a correction.
Sylvia

hubby has