Opinions On This Undersealing

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Opinions On This Undersealing

Post by edie_fox » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:33 pm

So, I've been looking for a decent, professional company for undersealing after last years :cryhard: seen here -----> https://youtu.be/I4vkt74sRpw

I always end up back at this one, not only because they are close to me but the service available 'after the fact': £60 yearly check and top up and 50% off re-seal 6 years later. It looks like a job well done and has relatively good reviews.

But...... I'm about to put all of these lovely new parts on, the last thing I want is for them to be covered in black gunk.

Am I wrong? Is it the best thing for them? Seems weird to see all the plastic and rubber sprayed too (such as bump stops and covers) Is is bad for MOTs? "Unable to check as covered in goo" type of comment on the sheet.

Most importantly, would you go for it? Do you think it's the right thing to do? Would you request that they just deal with all other parts of the frame/underside and request "please leave suspension alone"?

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Re: Opinions On This Undersealing

Post by MisterH » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Personally if it is done properly It's fine in my view, however you have to be absolutely CERTAIN that there are no hidden spots otherwise it could become a nightmare. If you are using the car regularly I think its for the wisest, but should be done properly like all these things
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:35 pm

Bloody awful

You absolutely should NOT be undersealing any suspension components.

I'd be bloody furious if mine came back like that. Its a little bit like doing paintwork. 95% of the work is the prep, 5% is spraying on the product.

Front arch liners should be out, Lots of parts want either removing or masking off. From a commercial service, I'd be expecting a load of before/after shots too.

However, you should also remember than 90% of the rot comes from the inside, OUT. Not outside in.

Cavity waxing is way more important than undersealing.

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:04 pm

It says they do do the cavities on the full job.
There is an option for just under body.

I’m definitely not keen on all the other bits not being covered.

Perhaps best worth asking for a quote to cover underbody, arches and cavities only.... I think it’s still be the same price though. They’d only not be messing with the suspension area. I’m sure they’d do what’s requested (cover all the new under arch parts!)

They do seem to do a good job of cleaning, prepping and treating before they apply any under-seal. Also says they’ve stopped using a thick coat of bitumen wax this year.

https://www.rust.co.uk/product/cat/our- ... service-24