480 for a car review wanted!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

480 for a car review wanted!

Post by brinkie » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 pm

There's several car-related YouTube channels I'm following in the UK, some are pretty fun to watch. One is called "idriveaclassic", run by Steph, a young lady who doesn't do the oily bits, just how the car looks and drives: https://www.youtube.com/c/idriveaclassic/featured
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/idriveaclassic/
She doesn't have a huge following yet, just passed the 20,000 subscribers mark.
Anyway, especially during these dark winter days in semi-lockdown, I really love to see the 480 featured in one of these videos, so I e-mailed her and also offered her to mail John de Vries, as he is always keen to tell the story of the car (he has lived in the UK so English is not a problem for him).
This was her response:
Hello Robert

Thank you for your lovely email, I often forget we all have overseas viewers!

I would very much appreciate an introduction to any 480 owners and also to the designer of the car please. It would make a lovely 2 part video!

Thank you
Steph
So if you are in the UK (preferrably in West Yorkshire as she lives there) and willing to feature you and your car in one of her videos, please drop her a mail! The car does not need to be in concourse condition, she'd rather see a car that's been driven daily.
Her e-mail address is on her YouTube info: https://www.youtube.com/c/idriveaclassic/about

It would be fun to see one of our cars in a video! :hopping:
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: 480 for a car review wanted!

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:30 pm

Well done Robert - sounds like a great idea. We have several members up in Yorkshire - maybe she would like to meet Pud the rescue Celebration and include a bit on the rescue group.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:38 pm

As Pud's custodian I'd be very happy to help - I'll break Lily back out of hibernation too if 2 480s would be even better than one...

Let me know if/how I can help!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 pm

brinkie wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 pm
There's several car-related YouTube channels I'm following in the UK, some are pretty fun to watch. One is called "idriveaclassic", run by Steph, a young lady who doesn't do the oily bits, just how the car looks and drives: https://www.youtube.com/c/idriveaclassic/featured
Anyway, especially during these dark winter days in semi-lockdown, I really love to see the 480 featured in one of these videos, so I e-mailed her and also offered her to mail John de Vries, as he is always keen to tell the story of the car (he has lived in the UK so English is not a problem for him).
This was her response:
Hello Robert

I would very much appreciate an introduction to any 480 owners and also to the designer of the car please. It would make a lovely 2 part video!

Thank you
Steph
So if you are in the UK (preferrably in West Yorkshire as she lives there) and willing to feature you and your car in one of her videos, please drop her a mail! The car does not need to be in concourse condition, she'd rather see a car that's been driven daily.
Her e-mail address is on her YouTube info: https://www.youtube.com/c/idriveaclassic/about

Paging DCwalker to the Youtube courtesy phone!

However, I think trying to plan something for post lockdown could be better.... When you could perhaps drive a selection of cars?

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:27 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 pm
brinkie wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 pm
This was her response:
Hello Robert

Thank you
Steph

Paging DCwalker to the Youtube courtesy phone!

However, I think trying to plan something for post lockdown could be better.... When you could perhaps drive a selection of cars?
Mine will be hopefully ready by then, how about early, mid and late cars to see how they evolved
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:49 pm

Definitely something for after lockdown, and yes, the possibilities are considerable to highlight both the car and the club for the good...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:28 am

There is no hurry, I've not even heard back from John de Vries whether he will like the idea or not to be interviewed. Then data needs to be collected for her, because she wants to know what she is going to talk about. :)

I did this with the idea in mind of making the rescue cars known to a wider public, and she has already reviewed cars that were on sale. She owns a Marina and a Metro, both cars that were unloved and were practically given away; now they've gone virtually extinct, prices are rising. The Volvo 480 Turbo is going the same way presently, none are currently offered for sale in the UK, here in NL prices for good to mint condition are going well beyond the 5,000 euro mark, one even crossing 10,000 euro. The white low mileage GT Turbo which was advertised for three years has been sold, the new owner has a problem keeping the mileage low, because his two children both have a drivers license and take the 480 everywhere instead of daddy's or mommy's car. :D
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 am

Great idea to cover the range - we'd be happy to take a turbo up to Yorkshire. If it could be timed for when James has his car back and isn't working, perhaps she could try a launch car as well (sorry James, volunteered you there, no pressure!) This is all beginning to sound like a mini meet convoy. Roll on the vaccine!!
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:08 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:48 am
Great idea to cover the range - we'd be happy to take a turbo up to Yorkshire. If it could be timed for when James has his car back and isn't working, perhaps she could try a launch car as well (sorry James, volunteered you there, no pressure!) This is all beginning to sound like a mini meet convoy. Roll on the vaccine!!
At the risk of getting carried away with this, it's starting to sound like a really good idea! :D

Between us we should be able to offer up pretty much every model variant and every developmental stage of the 480...what more could the lady ask for ?

David

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm

I would be up for this when things improve on the health front. Anything that shows the wedge in a good light is long overdue . Norman

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:29 pm

I messaged Steph when I saw Brinkie's post the other night and she's got back to me today about borrowing the 480 for the review. I did say 'you probably want a manual for a real experience!' and that there are probably people closer to her but I think her partner or friend (possibly who films?) lives about 10 miles from me and said she's around here all the time so she seemed very happy to do it in this area.

I didn't expect to see the thread grow with such interest when I looked again so do I hope I am not upsetting anyone if she does use it.

I know her format/style after seeing her videos on YouTube over the past year or so and it is a pretty basic, one car video.
340 Video here to get an idea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRyAEtigaEg&t=1097s

It showcases a particular model, it's history, a look around the interior and the dash/controls and a bit of a drive. I don't think it'll be an in-depth delve into the 480. Of course, if she does go ahead, I'll definitely request for her to push the forum and the rescue programme!

Any videos I make I always link below and go on about all the things we can do and help with. :lol:

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:51 pm

I think that is just what Steph needs. Remember that she is the "artist" that makes the video, we merely supply material. If it's got a story attached to it like you have, it will help making her video interesting. And during these uncertain times of lockdown, it's definitely going to help that she doesn't have to do "unnecessary travel" ;)
Although a turbo auto is the rarest option (only sold from 1990-1992, in the Dutch market only on special order, it was never in the sales brochure!) and in no way comparable to an early manual 1.7 ES, it is a very good example of how the 480 looks and will make a good first impression for those unfamiliar to the 480. Of course we will tell her about the rescue cars.
What we also need to do is supply Steph with a good deal of background information. The 480 was partly designed in the UK, not just the rear suspension by Lotus. Designer John de Vries lived in the UK at the time, and some design work was done by Brits (Stephen Harper and Peter Horbury).

I've got some bad news, well not really bad but not good either. John de Vries' health has taken a blow after an operation. His speech has severely been impacted. But he really likes that there is still someone interested in his creation.
Robert.