Scrap or restore? Honest opinions needed!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Scrap or restore? Honest opinions needed!

Post by dcwalker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:18 am

Alfie

If you do reach the point where you want to have a blitz on breaking this one, I'd be happy to come across and give you a hand if you liked...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Another potential nail in the 480 coffin... Connected up a new battery today with the anticipation of seeing some form of life, one or two dashlights perhaps, even just one bulb to blink on... all I got was the backlight to the stereo (yes just the backlight) and a quiver from the minute hand. So currently I have a 4-wheeled clock on the drive!

Given how long this car has been stood and how bad the water leaks are I'm inclined to think this has played a big part in messing with the electrics. I don't even know why this car was off the road all those years ago so this could be an age-old issue. I know these cars had a reputation for electronic issues but this is extreme, plus all the other work that's needed. Pulled a few fuses and they seem intact, although they were a bit powdery, which could be from water I guess.

Anyone know of other things I may test/investigate before I write this off as DOA?
Alfie

I've got 9,999 problems, and no. 480 is my car :nuts:
1989 1.7 ES 110k miles - first time restoration attempt!

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm

There are relays in the driver's footwell (pop off the side panel like where the bonnet release is on the side) and also under the bonet, under a triangular panel up near the scuttle. Clean, cross fingers, repeat!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:42 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:15 pm
There are relays in the driver's footwell (pop off the side panel like where the bonnet release is on the side) and also under the bonet, under a triangular panel up near the scuttle. Clean, cross fingers, repeat!
I'd second that!

Plus, make sure your battery earth lead is making a sound connection - it turns to the wing and then down to the gearbox.

Of course, this may be where your mystery wire comes into the equation...

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:11 pm

A little update on the rust bucket...

Seems the water getting into the front foot wells is from the seal at the bottom of the windscreen. I removed the plastic trim around the wipers today to find the entire inside clogged with mud and water. I've left the covers off to hopefully stop the water collecting here, and should now run off into the drain holes. I've also removed the rubber drain holes from inside the engine bay as these were also clogged.

The relay box was also wet when I opened it, with a couple of them very rusted and hard to remove. I'm hoping these could be the source of some of the electrical problems... This and the ignition switch was found to be held up with cable ties, so perhaps this has been faulty in the past or could be knackered altogether. I have put my electrical probe to use and it does seem there is power going to the ignition barrel. However that's about as far as my electrical knowledge goes! I wonder if the key itself could be an issue. It turns fine in the barrel but the key was rusted in when I got the car. I'll hopefully have some more contact cleaner by tomorrow to finish the cleaning and drying of the contacts to test the ignition again, fingers crossed!

I haven't been able to turn the engine over by hand yet, I have tried for a week now to remove the spark plug but they are well and truly rusted in place. The ceramic is starting to break the more I try to take them out. I'm worried that I may end up snapping the plugs which would open a Pandoras box full of worms! Any tips? I've had them soaking in WD40 for a week now and just using a deep socket to try and turn...

Another week, another step closer to admitting defeat. Desperately need to see a sign of life!
Alfie

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Well, even if it's not the only problem, the wet relays won't be helping anything!

Sensible steps to try to get the water running away from that area. Blocked scuttle drains do cause water to find its way inside anyway...

Others may know more, but all I can say on the plugs is keep oiling and gently trying. You can turn the engine without removing them, it's just a lot harder. Given you've no idea whether the engine is going to play ball anyway, it might be worth just trying to turn it anyway.

Good luck!

David

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:58 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:34 pm
Well, even if it's not the only problem, the wet relays won't be helping anything!

Sensible steps to try to get the water running away from that area. Blocked scuttle drains do cause water to find its way inside anyway...

Others may know more, but all I can say on the plugs is keep oiling and gently trying. You can turn the engine without removing them, it's just a lot harder. Given you've no idea whether the engine is going to play ball anyway, it might be worth just trying to turn it anyway.

Good luck!

David
Cheers David, helpful and supportive as per! Will it just require more force to turn the engine over with the plug in? Or by 'harder' do you mean there are further steps involved?

Cheers
Alf
Alfie

yorkievolvo
Knows where Volvo is from

Post by yorkievolvo » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:13 pm

alfie 12,
Ref locked in/rusted igniter plugs - if I may add my twopennyworth.
Sometimes, if the locked item is tightened (very slightly) it 'breaks the stick' and the item can then be unscrewed.
Might be worth trying.
Nil desperandum and best of luck with your efforts.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:15 pm

alfie12 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Cheers David, helpful and supportive as per! Will it just require more force to turn the engine over with the plug in? Or by 'harder' do you mean there are further steps involved?

Cheers
Alf
just more Weetabix :-)

I could only get one plug out after I'd run the car for a week. so it got the engine hot and each night sprayed with WD40, then tackled it when hot, reasoned that with an alloy head and steel plugs there might be a little difference in the expansion rates?

Actually ran the car with that broken plug for the week as it snapped on first attempt :cry:

it even seemed OK with no mis-fires :eek:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:38 pm

alfie12 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:58 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:34 pm

Good luck!

David

Cheers
Alf
Thanks! Yep - as others have said, harder as in more effort... :lol:

Yorkievolvo's suggestion is a good one - the plugs shouldn't be in too tightly if they were fitted properly whenever that was, so there might just be that slight movement clockwise available to break the grip holding them in place.

So, spinach tonight, 3 weetabix in the morning, and if the plugs still won't budge try turning it over anyway. Nothing to lose, as I see it ;)

David

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Are you using a 6-point socket on the plugs? 12-point is more likely to round off.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Hi guys,

It is with a very heavy heart that today I throw in the towel with my 480 project. While I've only had her about a month, I am now fully aware that there is just too much that needs to be done to get her road legal. While it feels deflating, I think I would feel more deflated after spending thousands on her to only have a mediocre example of this classic. Guess this one won't be seeing any chequered flags, just the white flag from my surrender!

I am instead going to try and salvage as many parts as possible (depending on demand) to try and make the whole venture not a total bust. Due to lack of storage space I'm not in a position to strip her completely, rather I'd just have to take bits off as required. I've also never fully broken a car before so any advice would be appreciated. My gut tells me to work from the inside out... most of the inside has already been gutted as it stands!

As you guys have all been so helpful and well-wishing I would like to offer the fresh 'car-cass' to you 480 vultures first! I'm not looking to make a ton of money here or rip anyone off for tiny parts just because of the rarity. I'm just looking to make back some of the money I spent on the car (yes I did actually pay someone for this car!) and the shipping. So feel free to message me if there is anything you require and I'll send pictures to see if what I have is any good. I can't comment on many of mechanical parts as I wasn't able to get her running, and I will try and test any electrical components beforehand if you require them.

All hope is not lost, I WILL have a working 480 one day... just not this one!

Cheers,
Alf
Alfie

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:18 pm

I have to say that although this is sad news, Alfie, I think you are probably making the right choice here.

Sadly this particular 480 was always going to be a major rescue task :cry: Sometimes we just have to acknowledge that they are too far gone (been there, done that ;) ).

It's a kind offer re the parts - I anticipate you'll get quite a few enquiries!!

Indeed, I have PM'd you...

Any other 480s on the horizon for you? Hang in there, you'll find the right car.

As part of the Rescue Group I know I am a little biased, but do bear in mind that we have 2 cars rescued and being restored at this very moment - both have a way to go but both look very promising (and no, I don't mean the rust-bucket Celebration :lol: ). They'll both need new homes in the not too distant future. There are threads on here but if you'd like some more detailed information, PM me.

David