Scrap or restore? Honest opinions needed!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

alfie12
480 Newbie

Scrap or restore? Honest opinions needed!

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:07 am

Hi guys,

I'm new to the 480 owners club having just bought a 1989 1.7 ES in dire need of restoration. Knowing the 480 are decreasing in numbers each year I took a very questionable move of buying one blind of Ebay for a couple hundred pounds... and after it was trailered to me I am beginging to question my decision (holt the I told you so's!). So I thought I'd get the opinion of experienced 480 owners on what you'd do with it!

Quick background, believe it has been stood for 10 years or so in the elements so understandably the body has suffered. I know the leaky boot and clogged engine-bay drain holes are known to cause problems with water getting into the cabin but my god the thing was flooded when I got it. I've been pulling out the carpets which has revealed significant holes in the floor pan. I have attached pictures of the ones in the boot, there is also one hole on each rear foot well due to most of the water pooling here (yes I do mean pooling). I'm working on getting the entire carpet out but the front seat rails have rusted so the seats are stuck in position, although the penetrating fluid is certainly working!

As for the engine, that's next to investigate, although first impressions aren't great. I'm going to see if the engine will turn over manually first, but all pulleys are coated in rust (hopefully just surface) but makes me question if the engine may have seized altogether. There is oil in the engine so it's not been left dry, however the bone-dry coolant reservoir does worry me slightly. I have a tool on order to check the spark plugs.

So thins brings me here - I want your honest opinions! Have you seen any in this condition before that were saved? I did say when it arrived that if I had looked at it in person that I would have walked away... but sometimes you have to just take the plunge! FYI there aren't many parts on this which are in good enough shape for selling so I don't think breaking it is really an option, plus I have limited space at home/no garage.

Some pictures on google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Cheers!
Alfie

I've got 9,999 problems, and no. 480 is my car :nuts:
1989 1.7 ES 110k miles - first time restoration attempt!

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Scrap or restore? Honest opinions needed!

Post by dcwalker » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:29 pm

Welcome to 480 ownership!

You have certainly taken the plunge here...

Clearly this 480 has suffered neglect for a long time, but equally cars far more gone than this one have been renovated (generally I mean, not necessarily 480s). On what you say and I can see, I wouldn't say it was beyond rescue.

BUT - and it is a big but - there will be a lot of work and cost involved. How much can you do yourself? Can you weld, for example? Are you reasonably mechanically minded and experienced? Do you have a good range of tools?

If you need to pay other people to do everything, then I would seriously question whether this one is worth it. The amount you're going to spend would buy you one of the better ones currently available. Mind you that means finding the money in one go, but without good storage to do this one up over time I think you'll struggle.

So my advice is that it's not just the car's condition to consider - almost everything can be retrieved - it's how you'll go about it that should dictate what you decide.

Keep us posted!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:03 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:29 pm
BUT - and it is a big but - there will be a lot of work and cost involved. How much can you do yourself? Can you weld, for example? Are you reasonably mechanically minded and experienced? Do you have a good range of tools?

If you need to pay other people to do everything, then I would seriously question whether this one is worth it. The amount you're going to spend would buy you one of the better ones currently available. Mind you that means finding the money in one go, but without good storage to do this one up over time I think you'll struggle.
This is the key point. Particularly when it comes to welding. I'm reviving several 480's and even I will shy away away from bodywork/welding as it's out of my skill range, and thus something I have to outsource (although I'm blessed to know people who DO know how to do those bits very well!).

Thankfully you've spent a sensible amount on the car; there's people who've spent far more and find themselves in the same boat as you.

Honest opinion. Well, a lot is going to depends on you. Have you ever owned a 480 before? Is a car you've hankered after fo a long time and have finally got to own? Or perhaps it's just something to have a play about with for a few years before moving on to another project?

480's, as rare as they are, aren't ever going to make you rich. You'll never (financially at least) return what you spend on them.

Working on them, restoring them and enjoying them for what they are is where you will get payback.

If it were me, I'd start by removing ALL the interior. Firstly to let it stand a chance of drying as well as making it easier to clean. It then gives you the opportunity to find where the water is getting in and solving that. During that time you can assess just how bad the corrosion is, as well as look to revive the mechanicals.

Worse case scenario, you've got a nice spares car for when you buy your next 480!

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:39 pm

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions! I am not able to weld myself but have had other cars welded by a very skilled and reasonable guy, so that I'm happy to pay for. I'd like to at least get a sign of engine life before getting the welding sorted (as a glimmer of hope).

As for experience, I have worked on a few cars before... namely MK3 Golf (my first ever car with a forever place in my heart), '98 Nissan Serena and a couple '98-04 Micras, but these were ones that were running when I got them, just needed some TLC. The 480 will be my biggest job yet. I am planning to do as much of the work myself as possible - that's the best part of buying a banger right? I've been graced with a pretty good mechanical mind and have a fairly good range of tools (good socket sets, jack stands, screw drivers etc.) but I'm willing to build up my tool range a bit more if need be.

This will be my first 480 I've owned, but its been one I've been chasing for years - I've always loved them even if this one is older than I am! I was also looking at MK2 Sciroccos at the same time but these were often at higher prices and not as quirky! My style/type of car choice really shows comparing these two! :lol:

I never intended to make money off this car (thank god) but I hoped to restore it just for my own use, have a bit of fun and see how well it lasted until the next bargain comes along!

I'll let you know the extent of the water damage once I can get the bast**d seats out!

Thanks a bunch!
Alfie
Alfie

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi Alfie great to hear from you!

You certainly seem to have a good repertoire of vehicles, but you're right the Volvo is definitely a step up. The Mk2 Scirocco is my favourite 'Roc but it has nothing on the 480 in terms of quirkiness and I think would only really surpass it in build quality, it was the closest rival I think to the Wedge

Nice to see an early car being given a chance. Does the engine turn at all? When I got mine it needed a new MAP sensor, in that it would fire up momentarily and cut out, or is yours just dead?

Great to have you hear, welcome to the fold! :D
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:20 pm

We sold a mk2 Golf when I bought my first 480 in 2001 and it was love at first drive. Neither hubby nor I would have another Golf now we have 4 x 480s. , including my original one. I would be very reluctant to sell any of them - once driven forever smitten. There are plenty of people on here who have regretted selling a 480 so much that they have bought another.
So, if you decide yours is worth saving and you one day get to drive it I doubt you will be disappointed. Maybe a drive in someone else's would help your decision ? Whereabouts are you ?
If you do decide this one is too far gone, there will be plenty of useful parts on it and it is difficult to get hold of a lot of things so as Jeff says, keep it as a spares car. Better ones do turn up from time to time - our rescue group bought 3 with sound bodywork over a couple of months in the summer.
Either way, be prepared for a money pit that will have you hooked once you drive it. This is Hotel California!
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

NillerGT
Started learning about 480

Post by NillerGT » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:32 pm

Hi Alfie,
I am a newbie, not just to 480s but to any car projects, but if it's the engine you are worried about, I think I saw one recently on a German website, and the price was low (300 EUR or so, from memory). I would not be able to swap an engine, but if you are, perhaps you can find one for reasonable money?
(here are some other engines (1.7T), also 300 EUR: https://www.teilehaber.de/autoteile-sho ... 16615.html)
If I am saying something absurd in view of the actual engine your car should have, I am sure the other forum members will correct me...
Just got my first 480 (August 2020)!
1990 ES 1.7, Superwhite
I have ticked off around 45 items, cosmetic and mechanical
Remaining:
- Vibration at 1500 RPM (hard to locate)
- Rough idle (harder one)
- Touch-ups
- Change rims (Pollux to slightly fresher Atlas)
- install my “new” flawless door pocket
I also just bought a 2004 XC90.

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:16 pm

MisterH wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:07 pm
Nice to see an early car being given a chance. Does the engine turn at all? When I got mine it needed a new MAP sensor, in that it would fire up momentarily and cut out, or is yours just dead?
I'm yet to even put the new battery in yet! I wanted to try turn the engine by hand before trying to start it up, as I'm worried about damaging any seized parts (can this happen?). I am going to fully assess the timing belt too, I think is probably completed knackered and even a short engine run could snap it. Also I think the alternator has seized up but luckily these aren't impossible to source.

I've also got the ignition barrel in some Graphite spray.. the previous owner even kept the key in the ignition for all those years and of course its now jammed in there! This was my first head-in-hands moment, many more to come I'm sure! :wall:
Alfie

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:18 pm

NillerGT wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:32 pm
Hi Alfie,
I am a newbie, not just to 480s but to any car projects, but if it's the engine you are worried about, I think I saw one recently on a German website, and the price was low (300 EUR or so, from memory). I would not be able to swap an engine, but if you are, perhaps you can find one for reasonable money?
Thanks for this! I will bear in mind. Although these are turbo engines listed and mines just the standard 1.7L. Thought I'd start with a 480 with one less thing to be broken haha!

Cheers!
Alfie

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:20 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:20 pm
We sold a mk2 Golf when I bought my first 480 in 2001 and it was love at first drive. Neither hubby nor I would have another Golf now we have 4 x 480s. , including my original one. I would be very reluctant to sell any of them - once driven forever smitten. There are plenty of people on here who have regretted selling a 480 so much that they have bought another.
So, if you decide yours is worth saving and you one day get to drive it I doubt you will be disappointed. Maybe a drive in someone else's would help your decision ? Whereabouts are you ?
If you do decide this one is too far gone, there will be plenty of useful parts on it and it is difficult to get hold of a lot of things so as Jeff says, keep it as a spares car. Better ones do turn up from time to time - our rescue group bought 3 with sound bodywork over a couple of months in the summer.
Either way, be prepared for a money pit that will have you hooked once you drive it. This is Hotel California!
Interesting to hear the 480 changed your ways from the V-dub club! I haven't had the joy of driving or being driven in a 480 yet, that could make the restoration a whole lot sweeter! Or if anyone lives around Manchester and fancies taking a rookie out for a spin I wouldn't say no! :hopping:
Alfie

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:30 pm

I would say that holes in the boot floor and footwells are a lot easier to repair than the complicated shape and structure of the rear wheel arches. How are your arches? To make a good job of these requires much skill and money in comparrison to the simpler parts that dont get seen as much.

If the engine turns by hand, then it should hopefully run again without too much hassle. For me, I hadn't considered the internal state of the heater matrix and engine core plugs which both let go a few thousand miles after getting the car back on the road. I also had a dead MAP sensor and once it was changed and the engine had a service, it ran again quite well.

Have a read of my car's return to life after 20 years off the road which shows some of the things you will have to deal with that I did and the advice I received from members here, especially with early recomsioning like you will hopefully do too.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35570

You've got a lot of work on your hands there and the main issue is bodywork and the expense of getting it done properly. Don't waste your time with awful cheap bodge places that will just plate over the rust for MOT purposes but leave the car rusting away behind their work
Last edited by jamescarruthers on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:36 pm

alfie12 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:16 pm
MisterH wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:07 pm
I'm yet to even put the new battery in yet! I wanted to try turn the engine by hand before trying to start it up, as I'm worried about damaging any seized parts (can this happen?). I am going to fully assess the timing belt too, I think is probably completed knackered and even a short engine run could snap it. Also I think the alternator has seized up but luckily these aren't impossible to source.

I've also got the ignition barrel in some Graphite spray.. the previous owner even kept the key in the ignition for all those years and of course its now jammed in there! This was my first head-in-hands moment, many more to come I'm sure! :wall:
:boom: Yes I think it seems the car has had a tough life. First thing I would do before anything is change the belts, then you can proceed with actually diagnosing the engine. if the engine runs for even a little time with a snapped cam belt its effectively game over for the engine. My mechanical knowledge is limited, but I know that for a start :lol:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 pm

If you do find the alternator is defunct, check if it's the original Volvo one. If so it would be better to have it refurbed than replace with an aftermarket one. James and I have both had starter motors done by JASM (Just Alternators and Starter Motors) who seem to have done a good job.
I had an aftermarket alternator which lasted just 18 months.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:06 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:30 pm
I would say that holes in the boot floor and footwells are a lot easier to repair than the complicated shape and structure of the rear wheel arches. How are your arches? To make a good job of these requires much skill and money in comparrison to the simpler parts that dont get seen as much.

If the engine turns by hand, then it should hopefully run again without too much hassle. For me, I hadn't considered the internal state of the heater matrix and engine core plugs which both let go a few thousand miles after getting the car back on the road. I also had a dead MAP sensor and once it was changed and the engine had a service, it ran again quite well.

Have a read of my car's return to life after 20 years off the road which shows some of the things you will have to deal with that I did and the advice I received from members here, especially with early recomsioning like you will hopefully do too.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35570

You've got a lot of work on your hands there and the main issue is bodywork and the expense of getting it done properly. Don't waste your time with awful cheap bodge places that will just plate over the rust for MOT purposes but leave the car rusting away behind their work
Thanks for this - that link is exactly what I need! Judging from when mine was last taxed I am also looking at one which has not been on the road for 20 years (at least not legally).

The rear wheel arched have seen better days, but surprisingly better than my old MK3 golf's arched which were devoured by rust. I'm don't think I will ever get the exterior body looking show-worthy and I'm not too bothered by it! Just getting it from non-runner to road legal is my main goal! I'm not afraid of bodyfiller and so I'm hoping to tackle the arches in the summer. There are a few areas under the rear windows however which are more concerning... the seals aren't great either so worried this could cause issues especially if I have to have the glass removed/re-fitted.
Alfie

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:07 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 pm
If you do find the alternator is defunct, check if it's the original Volvo one. If so it would be better to have it refurbed than replace with an aftermarket one. James and I have both had starter motors done by JASM (Just Alternators and Starter Motors) who seem to have done a good job.
I had an aftermarket alternator which lasted just 18 months.
I'bve spotted a refurbed genuine volvo one on Ebay for 60 quid - seems reasonable considering some of the aftermarket ones are considerably more!
Alfie

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Alternators are the least of your worries now but I think JASM are under 60GBP for a refurbishment, but probably similarly priced when you include postage

The rear windows come out easily so don't worry about that.

Talking of windows, is there any corrosion around the windscreen, particularly where the roof meets it? Is it cracked? It is unfortunately common for corrosion in the frame, which cracks the glass. You could ignore it until the glass cracks, but then you will have to fix it in order to put a new screen in

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:21 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:18 pm
Alternators are the least of your worries now but I think JASM are under 60GBP for a refurbishment, but probably similarly priced when you include postage

Talking of windows, is there any corrosion around the windscreen, particularly where the roof meets it? Is it cracked? It is unfortunately common for corrosion in the frame, which cracks the glass. You could ignore it until the glass cracks, but then you will have to fix it in order to put a new screen in
Yes, I have some corrosion around the windscreen which is already cracked... I guess there's no way to know how bad the corrosion is until the glass is out? I'm leaning on looking for a garage to store this in now :lol:
Alfie

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm

alfie12 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:21 pm
jamescarruthers wrote:

Yes, I have some corrosion around the windscreen which is already cracked... I guess there's no way to know how bad the corrosion is until the glass is out? I'm leaning on looking for a garage to store this in now :lol:
This is another difficult one but if the glass is cracked at least it isnt a surprise that you'll be paying for a new one. The glass will have to come out anyway, then the surround cleaned up and hopefully just rust-treated rather than needing more metal welded in too.

Its probably a little worse than mine as its been outside rather than inside. I haven't kept track but I'd say I spent a few grand getting it back on the road, but I was going for absolute mechanical perfection.

Bodywork is not finished or paid for but thats at least 4000GBP, again going for absolute perfection.

You shouldn't need to spend any more than that but its going to be pricey either way. You will have a lovely car at the end of it of course and a lot of the stuff you will need to replace will need done on any old cheap 480, like suspension rebuild.
This is quite an interesting project. I wish I was closer as I'd love to come and have a look. I think I've only ever been to the north-west of England once in whole life!

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

alfie12
480 Newbie

Post by alfie12 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:00 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:40 pm
alfie12 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:21 pm
jamescarruthers wrote:

This is another difficult one but if the glass is cracked at least it isnt a surprise that you'll be paying for a new one. The glass will have to come out anyway, then the surround cleaned up and hopefully just rust-treated rather than needing more metal welded in too.

Its probably a little worse than mine as its been outside rather than inside. I haven't kept track but I'd say I spent a few grand getting it back on the road, but I was going for absolute mechanical perfection.

Bodywork is not finished or paid for but thats at least 4000GBP, again going for absolute perfection.

You shouldn't need to spend any more than that but its going to be pricey either way. You will have a lovely car at the end of it of course and a lot of the stuff you will need to replace will need done on any old cheap 480, like suspension rebuild.
This is quite an interesting project. I wish I was closer as I'd love to come and have a look. I think I've only ever been to the north-west of England once in whole life!
Very good to know! After looking at your thread I can see why you'd be striving for perfection, yours as you bought it is miles better than mine :rofl: keeps me questioning if mine is worth it... But not ready to give in just yet! Let's hope she turns over!
Alfie

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:22 pm

Are you going to turn it over by hand first? I would, after maybe a bit of light oil in the spark plug holes over night. Next day rock backwards and forwards, then turn over with big socket on bottom of engine, accessed with driver's wheel off, or jack up one wheel with car in gear and rotate that way instead.

Fuel will be useless. Proper way would be to drain tank and refil. Mine was very low so I just filled it up and crossed my fingers.

Check the air filter hasn't went nasty in your outside storage, just incase you suck in lots of bits. Briefly, no filter will be fine.

Same with oil, I just topped up the old but changed it pretty quickly once it ran and got some heat in the system to make it thin to drain nicely.

If the belt doesn't look bad I'd probably risk running it under its own steam briefly, but not all would agree with such a risk.

Just top coolant up with water. If it leaks out, don't worry too much, just only run it for a minute max.

I think you should attempt to get the engine going to give yourself a bit of cheer should it actually start for you but without chucking any/much at the engine before you know it wil start for you

I know you said the key is stuck, but will it turn the ignition on? I am having trouble remembering but I think you can take the switch off the back of the barrel and just use a screwdriver on it. Memory is blurred on this detail because I was using a screwdriver but with a spare switch as I had no keys. It might not be possible to get the switch off as easy as I say!

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)