Scrap or Restore, youtube 480

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Jagwaa
480 Newbie

Re: Scrap or Restore, youtube 480

Post by Jagwaa » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 pm

Well, thanks for the encouraging comments so far. I am pleased that many are fond for a restoration. I certainly wasn't ready to let go a few years back and still haven't changed my mind.

Im keen to get the key sorted so will be giving Volvo a ring for that urgently. I also am keen to get a Subframe and as rightly put by Sylvia, i understand there are 5 different models/ so getting one for an early Turbo may be like searching for hens teeth. :?

I DEFINITELY will need help with this project and will be on the forum a substantial amount searching for parts and tips. Currently, I don't have a garage which is my first port of call, although, I may have to venture down the road of a professional to take it from me to carry out work.

Currently I do have some funds to get the project off to a start but really am struggling with where to start from, she has been sat a long time and i think ideally needs a donor for parts, i.e. hubs, brake lines, fuel pump, you name it, i don't expect a lot to be fully working like before. I know Jifflemon did a grand job on his Paris blue Turbo, that car is dreamy and only one I wish to replicate in some ways.

So, in essence i'm asking where my starting point is, and. if anyone is willing to help? I'm left a bit on a limb here in south wales being one of a very few 480 owners with local access to parts.

Is anyone out there looking to take on a project and willing to be paid for their work for saviour of the aforementioned?
89' 480T - low n slo :-{)

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:05 pm

Hey Jagwaa - great to see another Turbo on the rescue path.

I wish you all the best. You couldn't pick a nicer & more helpful forum.
Jagwaa wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:09 pm

will be giving Volvo a ring for that urgently.
You'll soon give up with this strategy :rofl:

The last Volvo parts guy I spoke to (Marshalls Cambridge) didn't know what a 480 was and was adamant the VIN should start YV1....

Your strategy of obtaining parts gets flipped on its head and you become a 480 bloodhound, scouring the land.

My mate has just started a 1962 Land Rover 2A resto and its so annoying, because everything he could possibly want is off the shelf. He then asks me what i'm messing about at!

I lost four weeks project time for trailing arm bushes and it took me 8 months to find a good carpet. Every single marker post date I have set myself has been missed by miles.

I am keeping a diary and I am at 320 hours. That isn't garage time, they are labour times ('book times') I could legitimately bill a customer for. I'm about half way and this weekend it should be coming off axle stands for the first time in 11 months.

Welding; this seems to be people's biggest pitfall. Either buy a Hobby Mig and learn, or prepare to burn someone else's labour rate. Mine has needed welding to the rear beam spring seats, arches, sills, front wings, engine mounts, panhard beam, bulkhead, rear floor.... and all this for a car purchased WITH an MoT!

As for the project cost - you need to ask - do I want to pay way more than this thing is worth. None of these cars are economical to restore and you need a heart over head attitude.

Plan worst case scenario for cash & time spent, make an action plan (get it 'wheel-free' and up in the air, start making a body work assessment with the magic screwdriver). Only then will you know the work involved and hopefully you'll give yourself a green light to proceed.

Best Wishes

Jay.
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:44 pm

@Jagwaa: For the key code, the Volvo Dealer should provide you with it from the registration number but they can no longer supply the cut key or even the blanks. In theory you should have to provide proof of ownership, but I think they can use discretion. I had a bit of a faf trying to get someone to cut it locally from code but was recommended Access Lock & Key Service (https://www.alks.co.uk/) who took the code, cut the key and sent it via post for not much money and were nice and helpful to deal with.

@Jay-Kay-Em: Marshall's Cambridge are probably the best you are going to get nowadays! Sadly they do know most 480 parts aren't available so you are always starting with the hurdle that they think it is a waste of their time! Will in parts sort of knows me and that I have 480s so he should be helpful. There is a young guy, Lewis, who probably doesn't know anything about 480s but his attitude is good. Years ago, I was pleasantly surprised that their old parts guy actually rang me for advice as he really wanted to help a customer out who needed 480 parts. This really impressed me! Peter has retired now though.
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:28 am

Jagwaa

I'd echo Jay's thoughts about the approach to this exercise, but it's great to see you are determined with it!

Regarding the key, I am on good terms with my local Volvo dealership and they have usually proved very helpful to me (albeit the younger guys use the opportunity to come outside and see a 480 "in the flesh" since they've heard of them but never seen one - a "Mk1 C30" tends to be how they rationalise it in their minds :lol: ).

I also have a VERY helpful and highly regarded independent that I regularly deal with who are very happy to try to help keep the older cars running.

So if you don't get very far with other dealers, let me know and I will see what I can do for you...

Good luck!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Jagwaa
480 Newbie

Post by Jagwaa » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:22 am

:D So i have good news so far, after a call to my locaL Volvo parts FRF Volvo Swansea and providing some info i have received the Key code, and a local key cutter who should be able to cut the key for me NENER's.

The helpful chap at Volvo didn't charge me anything he was very polite and keen to see a resto carried out on the older cars too. :hopping:

so now i'm after an original Volvo blade but will settle for an aftermarket one, which i've seen on ebay :https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-LASER- ... 4233187745

So i'm still stuck with my subframe issue, I will buy one if I can get hold of one as I hold confidence in the car and its originality, going through the old history this morning showing every MOT from 1996 through to when it went off the road in 2015 which gave me more joy knowing I have so much history with the car. It has been re-registed twice in its life so its possible it was an import from NI, so says the Volvo chap.

As always i'm still keen on any help and finger pointing, so if anyone wants to help out, i'm more than happy to assist with whatever I can, still not ready to give up and donate or scrap the car as many people have said over the years. Pics to follow when i pick up the key!
89' 480T - low n slo :-{)