Any tips for insurance?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Any tips for insurance?

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:22 pm

Good day all!

Good news first: I passed my test yesterday in my wonderful Wedge with zero faults, clean sheet.

Bad news is that I have just phoned Adrian Flux and they will only insure it for £5k :rofl:

Is anyone here in the know or have any tips as to how I can get insured?

Many thanks

Ben

P.s. I may have asked this before but not sure, either way it is much more relevant now
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Re: Any tips for insurance?

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:57 pm

WELL DONE! :hopping:

Is Adrian Flux doing classic car insurance? You wont build up a no claims bonus with a classic policy but I wouldn't care one bit at that mental price of £5k!

I am with Footman James and would recommend them for classic ploicies, not normal policies.

What about having one of your parents insure it and you are a named driver? Thats's how I had to start out. Again, you wont build up a no-claims bonus but whatever benefit that will be in the future, you wont ever make up for it by paying the £5k premium in the first place!
1987 Volvo 480 ES, 507274, 217 - Red (Ness)
2006 Citroen C6 Exclusive 3.0 petrol/LPG
2008 Mini Cooper convertible (Mau)

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Thank you James

I was looking for whatever policy would take me, unfortunately I can't get named as a driver on my parents insurance as they have clamped down on that, it is illegal fronting which if you get caught would put you in a world of faecal matter...

It all depends on what I can get, but 5k is utterly ridiculous...
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:05 pm

Well done on having a car on the road! :D

I'm currently with Hiscox who do fully comp, agreed value and breakdown amongst other perks for £96 for myself. That's as a second vehicle though.

Last year I was with Flux Direct for a little more with no breakdown cover...vital when owning a 480. :lol:

Hope they help. I did get 4 or 5 quotes from many recommended/usual insurers via VOC etc but they were all up to twice the price.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:21 pm

Who has clamped down? The police or insurance companies?

I thought as long as the car was in the correct name with the DVLA then it wouldn't be a problem. But then, I am hopelessly out of date with what opression and complications are foisted upon you by these people now.

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:25 pm

Haha and yes, I think I fell for the join our dull club and you'll get cheaper car insurance rubbish too. The prices were just stupid from VOC, etc.

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:40 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:21 pm
Who has clamped down? The police or insurance companies?

I thought as long as the car was in the correct name with the DVLA then it wouldn't be a problem. But then, I am hopelessly out of date with what opression and complications are foisted upon you by these people now.
That may be correct but I understand that it will void insurance and make it much harder to get reinsured. Not sure if it will lead to prosecution, but either way I think it is more risk than it is worth.

We are looking into rolling all our vehicles into a fleet insurance with our business, as my father is a prestige customer, having had lots of business acounts with NatWest
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:49 pm

Hope this works out and you find a way around it

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:56 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:49 pm
Hope this works out and you find a way around it
Thank you, it will take a lot to keep me from my wedge!
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:58 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:05 pm
Well done on having a car on the road! :D

I'm currently with Hiscox who do fully comp, agreed value and breakdown amongst other perks for £96 for myself. That's as a second vehicle though.

Last year I was with Flux Direct for a little more with no breakdown cover...vital when owning a 480. :lol:

Hope they help. I did get 4 or 5 quotes from many recommended/usual insurers via VOC etc but they were all up to twice the price.
Thanks for the advice, I am not sure how much club membership makes a difference for me at this stage, as I am a member of both this club and Club Petrolblog but it is just so high it won't make any difference. Some insurers won't even give me a quote!
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:36 pm

Limit your mileage, don't use it for commuting, allow a tracking black box to be installed? ... out of ideas now.

Have you tried non-classic insurance?

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 pm

try elephant they are cheap for young drivers.

How long you have had your licence, age make a difference. if your birthday is due wait a few weeks same if the anniversary of your test is close.

third party cover might be cheaper, you would never get a pay out worth bothering with on an older low value car.

When doing a quote add drivers, the policy in your name and one or both parents is fine. Regardless of whether you live with them or not. When I do my brothers one year it is cheaper with me others not.

As long as you live you will never understand how an insurance premium works. I think they use random number generators.

Shop around and try variables. Mileage, vslue, etc. Do you have a job? student? job titles can make a difference. Bar work used to hike the price up as the car would be parked near drunks and you may have a drink after work.

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:49 pm

arthuy wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:44 pm
When doing a quote add drivers, the policy in your name and one or both parents is fine. Regardless of whether you live with them or not. When I do my brothers one year it is cheaper with me others not.
THIS!

I forgot about this but when I took my last 480 to France & Belgium with Sylvia & Al, I added him as a named driver and my premium reduced, even though I am in my 30's! This was quite a surprise but he's been on there ever since!

You will be peased to kow that your postcode is the lowest risk category.

What about Pass Plus? Does that still exist or is it just a con by driving instructors?

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:07 pm

jamescarruthers wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:49 pm
arthuy wrote:
THIS!

I forgot about this but when I took my last 480 to France & Belgium with Sylvia & Al, I added him as a named driver and my premium reduced, even though I am in my 30's! This was quite a surprise but he's been on there ever since!

You will be peased to kow that your postcode is the lowest risk category.

What about Pass Plus? Does that still exist or is it just a con by driving instructors?
From what I hear it doesn't really do much, but I intend to do IAM at some point, but I can't get there if I can get insured first
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:08 pm

arthuy wrote:
try elephant they are cheap for young drivers.

How long you have had your licence, age make a difference. if your birthday is due wait a few weeks same if the anniversary of your test is close.

third party cover might be cheaper, you would never get a pay out worth bothering with on an older low value car.

As long as you live you will never understand how an insurance premium works. I think they use random number generators.

Shop around and try variables. Mileage, vslue, etc. Do you have a job? student? job titles can make a difference. Bar work used to hike the price up as the car would be parked near drunks and you may have a drink after work.
I have just tried Elephant, filled in all the details, every step, made an account and then got "We are unable to give you a quote online"

at this point I just have to laugh :lol:
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:49 pm

Maybe you've got to spend a day on the phone like we used to!

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)

edie_fox
480 Rookie

Post by edie_fox » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:58 pm

[quote\]

[/quote]

My apologies, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant MOT, didn’t realise you meant driving test so that explains the ££££ 😞 for a first car.

Stupid question, have you tried all the usual comparison sites? I find they vary by thousands for the same cover so there should be something that is slightly less offensive.

From what I’ve seen, in the past decade, younger drivers I know are just expected to look at £3000 minimum for their first policy, even for the most basic of vehicles. It’s awful.

But yes, generally, adding drivers, choosing the correct employment sector, reducing cover (but always try all as sometimes comprehensive is cheapest), increasing excess, reducing annual mileage etc will get it down a little. Of course; post code matters too. You could live in a really nice area that borders the same postcode for a not so nice area. Is the car parked on the road/drive/garaged. Can you upgrade security/alarm? Black box, I think, would help if you’re open to it but they are restrictive. Someone I know had to pay £1000 to ‘reset’ her policy as she kept going over speed limits and you have to pay a lot per mile over your agreed mileage.

Don’t try and get immediate cover. Try a date about 25 days away. It looks like you’re planning ahead and sensible!

Buy breakdown cover separately. Start Rescue are amazing and well worth the £40ish. Discount codes usually available too if you have a google. You can also buy motor legal protection separately. All things chipping away at your overall big number!

They all take ages to fill in online unfortunately but I guess that’s the beauty of compare the market, confused and go compare, they do it all. If you do find one, make sure you read through it all once on the company’s site as they often switch answers to assumed/default which may not be correct for you.

Compare the market have a specific young drivers insurance.

Are you a named driver on your parents car/s? This means you have access to another vehicle in the household. Meaning you won’t be using yours all the time...😉

Failing that, buy a tiny car for your daily and insure the 480 as a second/classic!

Hope most of that helped!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:25 pm

edie_fox wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:58 pm
[quote\]

My apologies, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you meant MOT, didn’t realise you meant driving test so that explains the ££££ 😞 for a first car.

Stupid question, have you tried all the usual comparison sites? I find they vary by thousands for the same cover so there should be something that is slightly less offensive.

From what I’ve seen, in the past decade, younger drivers I know are just expected to look at £3000 minimum for their first policy, even for the most basic of vehicles. It’s awful.

But yes, generally, adding drivers, choosing the correct employment sector, reducing cover (but always try all as sometimes comprehensive is cheapest), increasing excess, reducing annual mileage etc will get it down a little. Of course; post code matters too. You could live in a really nice area that borders the same postcode for a not so nice area. Is the car parked on the road/drive/garaged. Can you upgrade security/alarm? Black box, I think, would help if you’re open to it but they are restrictive. Someone I know had to pay £1000 to ‘reset’ her policy as she kept going over speed limits and you have to pay a lot per mile over your agreed mileage.

Don’t try and get immediate cover. Try a date about 25 days away. It looks like you’re planning ahead and sensible!

Buy breakdown cover separately. Start Rescue are amazing and well worth the £40ish. Discount codes usually available too if you have a google. You can also buy motor legal protection separately. All things chipping away at your overall big number!

They all take ages to fill in online unfortunately but I guess that’s the beauty of compare the market, confused and go compare, they do it all. If you do find one, make sure you read through it all once on the company’s site as they often switch answers to assumed/default which may not be correct for you.

Compare the market have a specific young drivers insurance.

Are you a named driver on your parents car/s? This means you have access to another vehicle in the household. Meaning you won’t be using yours all the time...😉

Failing that, buy a tiny car for your daily and insure the 480 as a second/classic!

Hope most of that helped!
[/quote]

Thank you a lot, it sounds like you have experience with this. I was going to be patient as I want the car to go to the bodyshop first, awaiting a quote on that. If I do buy a second car, would I still be able to use the 480 as a daily, and just keep the tiny thing in a barn or something, as the whole point has been getting a classic car as a daily, to which the Volvo is perfect. I shall have a shop around, while I wait for NatWest to get back on the fleet insurance...
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks James, it's nice to know we golden oldies have a use still :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

jamescarruthers
480 Is my middle name

Post by jamescarruthers » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:02 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:59 pm
Thanks James, it's nice to know we golden oldies have a use still :lol: :lol: :lol:
;)

I just re-read my original message, I meant that I added my own father, not Al!

Previous 480's:
J123 CFU -- ES
J449 MNL -- ES auto
D864 CPV -- ES
L691 JFC -- Turbo
F70 MNR -- ES
H858 FGV -- Turbo auto
E981 KHM -- ES (509849)