Is this a Club in the eyes of an insurer?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Is this a Club in the eyes of an insurer?

Post by MisterH » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:28 pm

Good Evening all

I feel that soon I will be passing my test, and am trying to lay out what insurance options I will have. The 480 is a very offbeat choice of car for a young'un, but I have not been dissapointed in the slightest, but the question remains, will it be insurable?

I am ruling out a black box from the get go as I do not like the sensation of being watched, I do believe there are other ways of bringing the otherwise scandalous insurance prices down however.

I notice that many insurers seem to like it if you are part of a car club, for obvious reasons it sends the right signals, however, does being an active member of a forum count as being part of a club, after all, it is the Volvo 480 Club Europe!

I am wondering whether it may be wiser to put it on a classic policy, but as it is likely to be my daily drive, or switched regularly with another vehicle as I desire, would that be eligible?

Any help on this matter will be greatly apprieciated

Thanks all
Ben
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Is this a Club in the eyes of an insurer?

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:47 pm

Yes if you are registered to use the forum you are a club member. For classic insurance you need to own another car on ordinary insurance for most companies although some will accept you having the use of another car belonging to a family member in the same household.
Hope this helps!
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:42 am

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:47 pm
Yes if you are registered to use the forum you are a club member. For classic insurance you need to own another car on ordinary insurance for most companies although some will accept you having the use of another car belonging to a family member in the same household.
Hope this helps!
Thanks for the advice, I will find a solution (the 480 is not going anywhere) I may end up trying to get insured on two cars, but with a limited mileage policy on each, as that could be cheaper than one car all year round
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:08 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:47 pm
Hope this helps!
and many will NOT allow 'commuting', or if they do then must be to a 'FIXED' location, which ruled it out for CDC / EVA as my better half works 'as and where' is required for cover .. .

so it is on a 'normal' policy, £150 I think with starter discount ; mind you we are both 'over 40', actually quite a bit 'over 40' :wink:

a black box could half the premium if NO track record on any policy, could be >£1500?
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:14 pm

My 480's are insured with ClassicLine.

Limited mileage policies on both (have never come close to that limit though! :rofl: ). They simply mirror the no claims from my daily (for both polices), which means that whilst the 480's don't generate any NCB of their own, they're very reasonable to insure!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:23 pm

Thank you all for replies and input, I certainly think it is possible to do this without a black box and shall report back on how I get on, should anyone you know require similar advice
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Water leaks