Wedgie on an A Frame?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Wedgie on an A Frame?

Post by Martin Mc » Mon May 11, 2020 4:50 pm

Hello folks,

I'm toying with the idea of using the wedge as a tow-car to take with us behind the Moho when lockdown finally succumbs to capitalist ideology and we are allowed out of our lead lined bunkers to roam semi-freely once again. Basic logic is that a 480 can get to a lot more places than a Moho can (have you ever tried navigating single track roads with deep hedges and no passing places, like those that appear to be the norm in South Cornwall, frinstance :)) Plus, of course, it promotes the marque and is somewhat more stylish even than our lovely German Hymer moho with Fiat underpinnings... :(

So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of towing a 480 behind anything, on an A Frame or perhaps even on a trailer. I think it would be a rather stylish addition to our holiday entourage, but of course I may be being naive about the practicalities and prospects.

Any thoughts (other than 'That Martin is a complete eejit'??) :lol:
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Wedgie on an A Frame?

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Would you have sufficient towing capacity? Whats the GVW going to end up like?

My boss used to have a Motorhome which he used every year to gently waft down to his Static Van in the south of france. Instead of towing a car, they simply bought one out there and left it on the campsite.

Jay-Kay-Em
480 Rookie

Post by Jay-Kay-Em » Mon May 11, 2020 6:42 pm

If I was to put my DVSA hat on, cars towed behind a motor home on an A-frame are considered a trailer. So, if over 750kg, they need working brakes. This can either be electric, or via an over-run hitch. I'm not into the motor home scene, but I once examined a Yaris that had cables fitted that mechanically operate the brake pedal with a connection point sticking out of the grille. Seemed like a lot of effort to fit. Not insurmountable, but cost/hassle to consider.

The A-frames you see behind AA and RAC vans have their own braked wheels and hydraulic steering. Its an impressive bit of kit.

Car trailer is easiest, but when you go out for a 480 themed drive, make sure your redundant car trailer is securely chained to the 'home! I think most car trailers only last 6 months before getting stolen!

I can't do either as I dont have cat +E on my licence... missed "grandfather rights" by 13 days :cryhard:

I will never forgive my driving instructor for that oversight some 23 years ago!
Jay-Kay-Em
-------------------------------------
Click here for My 480 Turbo Diary
Click here for My Cars

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 am

Thanks for the replies Jeff and Jay :)

The idea came from SWMBO who asked whether we could take her pootle-mobile (an automatic Chevrolet Matiz) with us on our next trip, to make it easier to nip out for supplies & for easier parking on day trips around the areas we are exploring. Given the Moho has a 2.8 litre diesel lump (Fiat Ducato underpinnings) and is set up for towing, I said I''d think about it. Then my creative side took over and I started imagining how it would look with the 480 proudly following on behind the rig, rather than a (reliable but ultimately crappy!) Matiz.

Anyway, it is all conjecture of course, until such time as we get clearance to take off somewhere in the Moho once again. And who knows when that might be?? :lol:
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue May 12, 2020 9:21 am

towing an automatic..... :shock:

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:48 pm

Jay-Kay-Em wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:42 pm

The A-frames you see behind AA and RAC vans have their own braked wheels and hydraulic steering. Its an impressive bit of kit.
you missed the word 'VERY' out of that statement.

it all folds up into back of van and powered in & out with a simple winch arrangment that drops it onto the ball hich of the van!!!!

I was discussing with the AA guy (front cam-shaft oil seal dropped out on SS1 , 'not repairable at road side' ) and they will NOT sell them , they cut them up :-( ruddy 'claims brigade' strike again . .. .
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1