Shame! Shame! Shame!

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Shame! Shame! Shame!

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:59 pm

A sorry tale of woe, brought to you from the hallowed pages of Facebook...

It's starts in 2018, when someone sold this 480 Turbo car:

He was quite honest with the sale, the car needed rear arches, but was other wise all good.

Sadly, It fell into the hands of one "those" car people..... he attempted some "stuff", then clearly got bored and sold it on.

It's new owner, is now passing it on to; Here's what he says:

"Volvo 480 turbo manual. Rare car but spares or ambitious repair.

Previous owner sadly did not do this car any favours. Rust was cut out and badly repaired or simply covered over. Also The paint was flatted off and then sprayed over with matt black spray paint, some of this has now been partially removed but bit recently photographed.

The battery has been relocated to the boot as a front mount intercooler has been put on along with an after market alloy radiator which is actually wrong for the car. Also due to rust the rear axle stabiliser bars have been removed.

I complete and rare car that I really wanted to save but I haven't got the time along with other projects.

I know it seems I have been negative about this car but want to be honest and clear unlike when I bought it. I think there is a good amount of value in parts so ideal to break or for parts for your own project. Feel free to ask questions."

If the description above hasn't already made you cry, the photo's below will. Those of a nervous disposition, should close this thread immediately....

:cryhard:

There's a small part of me that thinks £600 would be worth it to find the previous owners address details, kidnap him and then parade him at ever 480 meet so we could throw rotten food at him.....

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Shame! Shame! Shame!

Post by dcwalker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:52 pm

:shock: ... :cryhard: :cryhard:

Not much more I can say, really.

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:26 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:52 pm
:shock: ... :cryhard: :cryhard:

Not much more I can say, really.

David
Maybe forgot this?:

:kill:

I am not sure how to classify this: was it someone ruining a car out of spite, or did they just not have the skills to carry out their project well. In short, is this a 480 hate incident, or just incompetence?
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:48 pm

I’ve Seen it happening more with volvos of late;
It’s used to be the 340/360’s stripped for “drifting” but I also very recently saw a saffron c70 t5 coupe that had been started as a “track car” before “moving on to a new project”.

Essentially, he’d binned all the rather lovely leather interior, bar the drivers seat and got bored. As one bloke commented “it’s sounds to me like you’ve ruined a perfectly sellable car”

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:10 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:48 pm
I’ve Seen it happening more with volvos of late;
It’s used to be the 340/360’s stripped for “drifting” but I also very recently saw a saffron c70 t5 coupe that had been started as a “track car” before “moving on to a new project”.

Essentially, he’d binned all the rather lovely leather interior, bar the drivers seat and got bored. As one bloke commented “it’s sounds to me like you’ve ruined a perfectly sellable car”
I think the last sentence sums this whole episode up!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:58 pm

why o why did it have to be a rare colour turbo :badmood:
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

brinkie
480 Connoisseur

Post by brinkie » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 am

Oh, I've seen this many, many times before. Every time a boy racer (we call them "white caps" or just "caps") lays their hands on a 480 Turbo, they soon abandon the project when they've ruined it, because they lack both the brains and the means to finish it.
I've heard of a story here in The Netherlands that an almost perfect 480 Turbo was thrashed in a similar way by the boy racer brigade. The original owner literally burst out in tears when he saw the pictures of the ruined car.
Another almost perfect car (also a 480 Turbo) was heading for a similar fate, but got picked up by someone with true intentions. He's the bloke who spotted a 480 in York a couple of months ago (in an era when we still could go out and travel...)
Robert.

Present cars: 1994 Volvo 480 GT 2.0i, 1999 Volvo S70 2.5 Europa, 2010 Volvo V70 2.0F Momentum

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Post by dragonflyjewels » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:18 pm

I have a feeling that between the 'break it for the engine' Renault boys and the tbtbs (Thrash, bash and trash boys) the turbo is going to end up the rarest of the 480s.
Maybe we should all follow jiff's shining example and have 3 turbos apiece ! :lol:
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

MisterH
480 Is my middle name

Post by MisterH » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:31 pm

dragonflyjewels wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:18 pm
I have a feeling that between the 'break it for the engine' Renault boys and the tbtbs (Thrash, bash and trash boys) the turbo is going to end up the rarest of the 480s.
Maybe we should all follow jiff's shining example and have 3 turbos apiece ! :lol:
I am not sure how much of a problem that is nowadays. Back in the day when these cars really were in the Doldrums, It would not surprise me, however, like so many cars that were once no more valuable than their engines (Citroen BX GTi, Pug 405 Mi16, 309 GTi) they are much more respected now. I have a saved search on eBay for "Renault Turbo" cars, I am interested in the 9,11,18 and 21 turbos, but mostly just get 5 turbos on the feed, however I still check the ads for evidence of 480 pillaging and I genuinely haven't seen one advertising "Volvo B18FT engine fitted" possibly in the whole time I have had the search saved

Of course, I am not suggesting that the 480 will ever be an "expensive" car a la Capris, but I do think they at least have the respect now that means they are not an easy car for most people to break for the sake of the engine.

unfortunately, "most" is not all as this case proves :cryhard:
Current Jobs to do (23/1/22):
Fix Central Locking
Fix drivers side speaker
Annoying Scratching Squeak
Water leaks
Complete Front O/S rebuild