Jiffs Little shop of horrors...

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Jiffs Little shop of horrors...

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Probably not quite the thing you were epecting (or maybe you were) but I've decided to open a little something of a 480 shop...

Lets deal with the very obvious questions first:

1) Is this going to make you filthy rich?

I blummin wish. Stuff isn't going to be sold for profit.

2) Have you got any rear lights?

I blummin wish. I'm only holding new stuff.

3) Will I be able to get OMFG super cheap prices?

I blummin wish. The days of discounts for bulk buying have long since gone. Amazon and Ebay won the race to the lowest price.

So.... Why buy from me?

Well, honestly, I don't care if you don't buy from me. As stated above, this isn't some crazy get rich and retire early plan; Those days have passed by a LONG time ago.
Instead, this is simply me, trying to do my bit in saving as many 480's as possible.
I'd trying to gather together some of the "oh so common" bits that we all need, but sometimes put off ordering because postage is stupidly expensive. Given I've 3 cars to sort, I tend to over order, saving on postage.

If it's all in one place, in the UK, you're probably more likely to fix it. That means its less likely to annoy you and more likely to keep you in love with the car.

Am still working through the finer details, but the sort of stuff I'll initially have would be:

Interior Bulb kit (just Dash)
Interior Bulb kit (Dash + Infocentre)
Interior Bulb kit (Dash,infocentre + Panel lights/hazardswitch)
Brake Disc Retainer screws
Driveshaft Roll pins
Headlamp plastic Cups
DRL LED
Popup Struts
Speedo Cogs
Headlamp Hinges
Heater Knobs

(you may notice a theme throughout that list - It's all stuff I've replaced on the fleet!)

If anyone has any ideas for stuff I should hold (please don't say unobtainium stuff like rear arches and bumper supports!) I'm all ears.

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Re: Jiffs Little shop of horrors...

Post by dcwalker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:56 pm

This is an excellent idea Jeff and a worthy one.

There are, I know, many of us happy to help others out from our spares when we can, and not to make a profit, but there had been a gap for this sort of approach ever since Glasgow Jim moved on from the 480 world.

I know it's an example list, but if you have a couple of working headlight struts I'd be delighted to be your first official customer!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:01 pm

dcwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:56 pm
I know it's an example list, but if you have a couple of working headlight struts I'd be delighted to be your first official customer!

David
Working???

They're brand spanking new, never been out of their packing. Closest they've been to a 480 is when the courier walked past the car on the driveway! :rofl:

dcwalker
480 Is my middle name

Post by dcwalker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:21 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:01 pm
dcwalker wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:56 pm

David
Working???

They're brand spanking new, never been out of their packing. Closest they've been to a 480 is when the courier walked past the car on the driveway! :rofl:
:rofl:
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1996 460 CD & 1997 440 LE with lots of optional extras & 2007 V50 SE Sport
Previous: Celebration 331 (re-homed with Richard S), Celebration 467 (returned to Martin Mc); Celebration 346 (re-homed with Alan480); Celebration 269 (scrapped abandoned project), Celebration 73 (sold on after 6 years), 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

Martin Mc
480 Rookie

Post by Martin Mc » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:47 am

jifflemon wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:10 pm
Am still working through the finer details, but the sort of stuff I'll initially have would be:

Interior Bulb kit (just Dash)
Interior Bulb kit (Dash + Infocentre)
Brake Disc Retainer screws
Driveshaft Roll pins
Headlamp plastic Cups
DRL LED
Popup Struts
Speedo Cogs
Headlamp Hinges
Heater Knobs

(you may notice a theme throughout that list - It's all stuff I've replaced on the fleet!)

If anyone has any ideas for stuff I should hold (please don't say unobtainium stuff like rear arches and bumper supports!) I'm all ears.
Am probably going to need some bits and bobs for the new project at some point, so this is an excellent idea / opportunity. :hopping:

All the best!

Martin
1991 ES White / 1995 ES Red / 1995 ES Red / 1994 S Black / 1995 Celebration Red / 1994 S Paris Blue / 1995 Celebration (again!) Red - Currently free of all extramarital cars, wrench-loose and fancy free :)

Norm57
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by Norm57 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:51 am

Great idea Jeff, I could do with a heater knob for my celeb ,it has seen better days and will save me trying to refurb it.

Edmundpwb2
Started learning about 480

Post by Edmundpwb2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Hello Jiff
May echo what others has said and say this is a super idea!
Now I have a dash with power I am hoping to get the rest of the unit working with some of the spares you have listed. With that could I possibly place an order with yourself for the following items if you still have any stock?

Speedo Cogs
Heater Knobs
Many thanks