Pop ups

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Pop ups

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 am

After our visit to the 480 meeting in the south of France, I planned a scenic route to Calais via my daughter in Mannheim. We had a few days to lose, so I looked at the route and saw it went through a small place called Mulhouse. Idly wondering if there was anything there worth looking at, I discovered it only has the world's largest transport museum, split over 2 sites, one with cars, the other trains. Perfect! Huge collection of Bugattis amongst hundreds of other beauties, but this handsome beast from the 30's immediately caught my eye

The very first thing I saw on it was the pop up headlights

I had no idea they dated so far back. A little research found that they first appeared in 1926 on the wings of a Cord, and the article actually features the 480 as well: https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... headlight/

After a day drooling over cars, we spent a second day with the trains where we found some wonderful displays - a train cut in half with led's representing steam so you could see how it worked, another one tipped over on its side so you could see underneath. If anyone decides to join the 2019 meet in Clermont Ferrand, I highly recommend a few extra days in Mulhouse. We also went to Roman ruins in Lyon, a hilltop citadel in Besancon and a very old unspoilt village called Eguisheim. Weather was lovely, food was good and loads to do - it was a great holiday.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Pop ups

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:35 pm

I wondered if this was same meusum as this?

http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... &start=360

the 'other' car web site :wink:
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Pop ups

Post by dragonflyjewels » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Yes, same Alfa in the same museum, I recognise the 'S' logo on the info board (it's the Schlumpf collection). Well spotted !!
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any