Engine & gearbox weight

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Engine & gearbox weight

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:10 pm

looking to swap out sub-frame and been offered the use of a friends garage pit, saves me emptying my garage to get at pit/ lifting beam

but I'm not really convinced that his RSJ is man enough, :wink: (its a 20ft wide garage!)

I can run the calcs in a beam deflection programme to confirm , but need an approx weight of engine & box first of.

is 200kg about correct,??
ie fully loaded with fluids/bits n bobs etc

plan to raise engine & box, unbolt from subframe leaving car on axle-stands and wiggle frame out,

and assembly in reverse etc
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Engine & gearbox weight

Post by jifflemon » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 pm

lets look at this from a slightly different angle.....

Friend has offered use of pit - Clearly he feels his equipment is up to the job.

Therefore, the SEP rule applies.

That is, Someone Elses Problem if it goes wrong. :rofl:

Given that in my youth, myself and a friend managed to lift the front of R19 off the axle stands, whilst trying to remove the engine and box (and forgetting to undo the engine mounts) with little more than a scaffold pole and some rope, I suspect a 20ft RSJ is more than man enough for the job.

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Engine & gearbox weight

Post by Alan 480 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:32 am

Aye

been there etc in school-days, try using a wire around a snatch block attached engine at one end, front bumper iron of Wolsley 444 to lift/lower engine from FWD control Morris J2 etc (having assembled the lifting beam INSIDE the van)

what can possibly go wrong ? ? ??

cheers for that nugget of info :wink:

I was trying to a be a 'wee bit' more scientific!!!

edit

ran the numbers through the sheet and if 200kg, 'OK' :-)
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1