photobucket options whip around?

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

photobucket options whip around?

Post by timrosser » Tue May 22, 2018 3:16 pm

HI All,

As one of the less 'mechanically gifted' on the forum I really miss the pictures in a lot of the threads, esp Jim's old ones. As I understand it the issue is that photo bucket has started to charge, some members understandably havent wanted to pay and we have a diminished site as a result.

So I was wondering - if as a group we say paid Jim's sum would that restore the photos to this site, or at least allow us to transfer to an alternative host? Perhaps even some of the Facebook threads?

Any thoughts?

Tim

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: photobucket options whip around?

Post by jifflemon » Tue May 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Sadly, Photobucket didn't nuke his account because he didn't pay - they simply nuked his account. He lost all his photos.

There was an option, when photobucket first started to charge, to run a script that would go to photobucket, copy the photo to the server, then rewrite the URL to point to the local image, not the remote one.

Sadly, it was never implemented, and I'm sure by now, Photobucket have worked out ways to defeat it and/or people have terminated their accounts in disgust (I know I did - and I was actually a paying customer!). Even if it did work, without admin access to the forum, it couldn't be run, and we don't even know if the version of Forum software is compatible, or the server has space for hosting images.

On the bright side, there's a few of us recreating threads and trying to make sure there's still good content going forward :D

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 pm

We talked about this recently in this thread as well - as Jeff says, we've lost all the old photos for good, but it would still be nice to come up with a solution to prevent it happening again. I'm using Google Images with a workaround to get hotlinking working (as are others), but I wouldn't be surprised if that gets killed off at some point too. In an ideal world, having images hosted on the forum would probably be the optimum solution, but might be complicated to implement in the short term.
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

timrosser
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by timrosser » Thu May 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Its does make you feel pretty vulnerable, I would think the safest bet might be something like youtube, not saying we should all start editing little movies, but uploading a powerpoint-type slide show could do a good job of text and pictures? 480 Channel?

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eye of ra » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:15 pm

I received an e-mail from photobucket saying they have TEMPORARILY reinstated hosting and they have. Sadly not Jim’s but most others have returned.

So now would be a good time for anyone wanting to save any threads to do it before they are gone again.

I now have all the Howto Manuals in pdf format.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015