Heater matrix removal on a '95

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

Volvo480lover
480 Newbie

Heater matrix removal on a '95

Post by Volvo480lover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Hey, recently my heater matrix started to devellop a leak, causing the majority of my coolant to leak in my interiour (no fun indeed), now looking at the way to remove I did disconnect the flex in the engine compartment, removed the central console, opened the box containing the heater (so basically I am at the stage that I can put my both hands arround the bloody thing to take it out), however... on the later years there seems to be an additional bracket that holds the 2 pipes from the heater matrix in place, blocking me from removing the matrix from the car. Any tips/tricks to get this bracket out of the way? There is not a lot of room to manouver arround, so a bit stuck there :-(
Volvo 480 club Member number 0015 :D

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Re: Heater matrix removal on a '95

Post by Alan 480 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:39 pm

wiggle it, just a little bit!!!!

seriously I managed to get an old style matrix (with pipes attached) out and the new style plastic header tank variety back in.

there are two steel steadies that need to be removed.

I cut the carpet along top of tunnel to move away to each side and pulled the plastic ducting for rear footwells down into front foot-well, bloody tight, getting in was even more interesting!!!

needs somebody to confirm /wiggle pipes through the holes
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1