Recommissioning

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Recommissioning

Post by zapcity » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Hi all,

I'm now getting the 480 I purchased last year out of storage, after it being off the road for some time.

It will need some recommissioning, so I could do with some advice on reference material for the 480.

I'd like to get some workshop manuals, wiring diagrams etc., and wondered if you know of a good source.

I've seen some on ebay, but don't know about the quality. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVD-Volvo-Wo ... 1438.l2649

Additionally, what service parts are available? I remember DCW saying oil filters are available from Volvo, but I'm guessing HT leads etc. are now generic.

Thanks for any advice. :D
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

dragonflyjewels
480 Is my middle name

Re: Recommissioning

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm

Take care operating electric motors - my turbo had been untouched for some time and came with window regulators and sunroof struts broken due to being tried whilst securely stuck to the rubbers. WD and a thin scalpel between glass and rubber should unstick the windows, WD flooded round the sunroof gutter might be an idea as well.
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo
Paris the Unicorn - 1991 Paris Edition
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Racing Green GT
Evil Eva - 1992 Paris Blue Turbo

no previous 480s - can't bear to sell any

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by zapcity » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks. I know the electric windows currently don't work, so good advice.
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:13 pm

For HT leads, have a look at https://mrretroleads.co.uk/

Alan 480
480 Is my middle name

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm

take plug leads out, add some engine oil and spin over on starter a few times, pull the fuse for the fuel pump so you don't fill the bores with petrol.

repeat as required :-)

when it does fire, keep revs VERY LOW for about five - ten minutes, or even turn it off as soon as it fires, then leave a ten minutes or so and try again.

it also ensures oil is up on the cam shaft etc

wedge the clutch pedal on the floor with a stick between the seat adjusting handle and pedal, so clutch will free off (if it's stuck)

I do this for the SS1 each spring but I even rock it in 5th gear before try the starter !

also all the brake calipers / pistons, cos pretty sure that some or all will be stuck :-( I got caught out at the MoT after car had been off road for a year and although the front brakes slowed & stopped the car , when they pushed really hard it moved the pistons towards the disc and then didn't return :cry:
to be fair it only took an evening to get them freed off (I'd already checked the rears cos they are always a right royal PITA :wink: )
Alan

480 ES 2litre 'Celebration' ? , C30 1.8ES, SS1