Update

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

PJP
480 Newbie

Update

Post by PJP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Sorry it's been as long since I've been on the forum. This weekend I've just had broadband installed as I was relying on a Wi-Fi dongle for 2 years before I had major issues with it. I tried logging on to the forum on my phone but it wasn't too easy to navigate so I gave up!

Anyway, since I was last on, I've been able to virtually crack the leak (I hope!), as well as put a new boot seal on it. All I need is some warm weather for it to bed in.

I was able to have the whole car clay barred and waxed to try and protect the finish, and I have to say, I was amazed at the difference. It was pretty good before, but the clay bar removed a load of fine deposits which you could feel.

I was able to take the blower out and clean/oil the best I could, which has removed the noise from the fan in use which is a bonus! Other than that, it's been getting good use a few times a week and touch wood - hasn't missed a beat.

A few other jobs I want to do the weather hasnt been kind enough - I'm keen to replace the bonnet lining and have bought some aluminium backed foam for this purpose. One question I do have is over the earth points however - the foam I have is adhesive on the foam side I've found so the aluminum won't be in contact with the bonnet - is there an issue just leaving the earth points stuck to the bonnet in two places rather than attached to the whole liner? I hope I've described that correctly!

My only concern now is our movements over the course of this year as my wife has decided it's the time for us to buy a house and if so, the 480 may have to become part of a house desposit. I hope and pray that's not the case but there again, I did say that was the case when I pursuaded her to let me buy it!

That's it from me for now - I'll be in touch soon.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: Update

Post by jifflemon » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 am

Firstly, point the wife towards eBay and the prices of 480's..... Not worth it as a deposit - Needs to mature a little longer (that's what you tell her!)

Claying? Blummin love it. When the idea is first put to you, you think someones having a wind up. Then you clay. Then your hooked.

How easy is the heater to remove? I too have a squeeking fan and it drives me insane!

Finally; The earthing bonnet. It's done to prevent radio interference. Could you not extend the outer foil to the contact points on the bonnet with something conductive?

PJP
480 Newbie

Post by PJP » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:33 pm

I'll bear that in mind with the missus however, you'd be amazed at how much lower houses in the north east can be when compared to elsewhere in the country - a small amount can go a long way! I'm hoping it won't come to that so I'll see how it goes :D

Tell me about it with the claying - what an incredible difference. Worth the hours! I'm getting pretty good beading after a thorough going over and some wax was applied to get me through the winter months. Why haven't I done this before!?!

As for the fan, it's an easy enough thing to do albeit quite fiddly to get your hands in to disconnect things and unbolt it. It was the driving me insane that prompted me to do it. They are a sealed unit so you cannot get into them to strip them down but there are enough holes to get small things in to get as much crap out as possible and add some lubricant. Mine has been squeak free since. Just a small dash rattle to crack now but nothing serious.

I didn't realise that's all the bonnet earthing was for either - that's not hugely important so I'll move that job to the bottom of the list.

I'm now completely appreciating the 'unobtanium' comments and have been very careful with all things lights and with the trim etc...

I've a few other questions but I'll save them for now - one thing at a time!

eye of ra
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by eye of ra » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:05 pm

PJP wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:33 pm
I didn't realise that's all the bonnet earthing was for either - that's not hugely important so I'll move that job to the bottom of the list.
It is also there because the bonnet is made of plastic and air rushing over it at high speed :lol: creates a static charge so you could get a shock if it’s not able to discharge.
Current:
480 ES Auto 1989
480 Celebration 187
480 ES Auto 1991
CLK430 Conv 2001
Hyundai i10 2015