Couple of useful toys...

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Couple of useful toys...

Post by jifflemon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 pm

Thought I'd share a couple of things I've found handy:

1) VehicleSmart App. Available on both the apple and android stores, its VERY cheap, UK developed and just incredibly useful! You enter a UK registration number and boom, You have access to MOT history, mileage history, Tax and MOT status etc, etc. You can then add vehicles to your garage, and add additional information (such as Insurance details, servicing details etc) and thus get reminders when stuff is due. It's been an absolute godsend for me!

2) BM2 Bluetooth Battery monitor. Another simple and effective thing. The 480 isn't my daily driver, so It's handy to know whether or not the battery needs charging. Fasten one of these little fella's across the battery, and I know the battery voltage without even opening the engine bay. The app tracks charging history too, so I can see at a glance if there's anything naughty going on. Its so handy that everything in my fleet is now sporting one!

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Re: Couple of useful toys...

Post by arthuy » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:43 pm

The BM2 is interesting, what unit did you buy? there seems to be a few variations.

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:29 pm

I’ll be bluntly honest and say “the cheapest one I could!” :rofl:

I actually did a best offer and got 3 of them for £55.

This is the seller I used:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2021812380

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Tue May 15, 2018 7:50 am

adding to my list of useful things:

A proper Dehumidifier

we all know that 480's can, at times, resemble a sieve. Even if you have the luxury of a garage for your 480, you still need one of these, as moisture is the enemy, as it leads to rust.

Even if your run this bad boy on full speed, 24/7, it'll cost you around 4p a day.

Damp interior? Pop inside the car, leave it to do it's magic.

If you think the 2 litre tank won't be enough (or are having it as a fixed garage installation) you can plumb in to have a proper drain.

Absolutely recommended

zapcity
Knows an Aerodeck isn't a 480

Post by zapcity » Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 am

+1 for Vehicle Smart app. Couldn't remember all the MOT, insurance dates etc. without it.

Also very useful for checking the history of everyone else's cars!!

+1 for the dehumidifer too. Hard wired and plumbed into the garage. Make sure you get a dessicant model and not a compressor type for our cold winters.

My must have is a Noco Genius Boost: - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015TKUPIC/ ... 72943&sr=1

Tiny little thing and invaluable if you get a flat battery.
1994 480GT - arrived!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

WRDendy
Can tell where the 480 was built

Post by WRDendy » Tue May 15, 2018 2:59 pm

A battery pack is useful to have. I keep one under the seat in the 480 and it gets used a fair amount, particularly when the 480 doesn't get driven for a while - I'd probably need it less often if I invested in a battery monitor, so perhaps that will be next on the list...

I've just downloaded Vehicle Smart, looks rather handy!
Formerly known as 'Jaster'
Current: '94 GT & '88 ES
Former: '89 ES

arthuy
Advanced 480 rookie

Post by arthuy » Thu May 17, 2018 2:59 pm

I am a convert for the battery packs.

Bought one at christmas, started a 4 litre jag and 2.4litre landrover and the 480 after it had been sitting for a few weeks.

I tend to keep it in the house and charge my phone without needing to have it plugged in to the wall.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G7-18000-mAh-E ... 2V+16V+19V

Bought a BM2 took me a while to get it working, you need to have your phone location activated which would be a nice bit of info to add to their website. Also disconnect it before trying to jump start the car.