So, today was the day...

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:24 pm

So with the wiring all completed, we now had an amazing charge rate yes?

Well, yes and No.... :shock:

we had an amazing charge rate for 2 days.... then suddenly it stopped.

Yup.... Alternator failure.... :angry:

Whats more frustrating than alternator failure? Finding a replacement. You see, I spent my youth reconditioning starters and alternators. I know there's essentially 2 variants of 480 alternators - a 50 amp version for pretty much everything, and a 70amp version for the turbos.

Now, you can also argue that there's also A/C and non A/C variants, but that's just pulley size. (3 rib pulley vs 6 rib pulley) and with most alternators you'd swap the pulleys over.

HOWEVER......

we live in an age where they need your registration and VIN number to sell you a bloody air freshener for your car. :angry:

So i just needed to check that the unit I was being supplied would be a valeo, 70amp, external fan unit so off we go asking questions...

"whats the reg and VIN number mate?"

"no, I just need you to confirm it's a valeo, 70amp external fan variant"

"It brand new sir"

"no, it's reconditioned/rebuilt unit - No ones made a brand new alternator for a 480 for 15 years"

"no sir, it's brand new"

"so who's the manufacturer?"

"RNL sir"

"RNL are a dutch company who re-manufacture alternators, who's core unit are they re-manufacturing?"

"I don't know where you're getting your information from sir, they're brand new"

"from RNL's website - Look, just open the bloody box and take a picture of it and send it me"

They stopped responding after that.....

Many, many, more conversations like that and I just plumped for the cheapest one on the Bay.

I got a valeo, external fan, 70amp unit.... :nuts:

Now, ALL 400 alternators are the same damn shape, and as long as you've not got AC, you can pick and choose as you fancy. Want an up-rated one?
Later 440/460 units have an internal fan and pop out 75amp.

Anyway..... On with the fun....

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:55 pm

Now, there are many things you can be thankfull of when owning a 480.

One that you should definately be thankful of, is not owning a 480 turbo, with AC

lets just say that under the engine bay is a tad cramped.....

They put the AC compressor where the power steering pump was. they kept the alternator in the same place, just plonking the Power steering pump over the top of it..... To save you scrolling back through the thread, it looks like this:

Then, and it's the bloody french influence here I bet, they decide to use random sized fasteners on the really hard to get bolts... Alternator pivot bolt? Nice chunky 17mm you can get your ratchet on. front nut that's a mission to get a spanner on? Surely a 17mm?

Nope, 5 minutes of contorted ratcheting has got you no-where and you realise they've used a 16mm nut. :angry:

I also discovered this: (sorry, you'll need to click the link, but its worth it!)

:shock:

hopefully that's the oil leak found (always thought it was the sump gasket!)

Anyhoo, power steering pump loosened. belt off, alternator bolts swore at, removed and you can't get the damn alternator out of the space because the power steering pipe is in the way. :wall:

Crack off the top pipe, do your best to stem the flow of power steering fluid whilst you wrestle the damn thing out.

Swap pulley's over start to reassemble and remember that you should have been taking pictures... :lol: So we got this far...

Clean this up....

wrap the thread with some PTFE tape and screw back in. 10mm Allen key if anyone has to do this and yes, it's an utter pain as you've minimal access and the sensor blocks your view of the allen head!

By that point, my back had given up leaning over the engine bay, so I called it a night! Tomorrow is just belts on, adjust and tightened everything back up.

Alan 480
480 Connoisseur

Post by Alan 480 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 pm

"Nope, 5 minutes of contorted ratcheting has got you no-where and you realise they've used a 16mm nut. :angry: "

wot no pictures to help us find said nut :wink:

and BTW the post from 1924 is missing it's pictures ?
Alan

480 ES 2litre x 2, C30 1.8ES, SS1

jifflemon
480 Is my middle name

Post by jifflemon » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:50 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:49 pm
"Nope, 5 minutes of contorted ratcheting has got you no-where and you realise they've used a 16mm nut. :angry: "

wot no pictures to help us find said nut :wink:

and BTW the post from 1924 is missing it's pictures ?
Oh it gets worse - the power steering pump is a 15mm

So i that confined area, you've got a 15mm, 16mm and 17mm. It's like they were playing Metric nut bingo.

Pics should be fixed.

Car is too - well, just waiting on some Dexron 2 for the powersteering as it's a little low and I daren't blow the pump!