So, today was the day...

Here you can talk about the joy owning a Volvo 480 brings. Non-technical discussions take place here, like what is the difference between an ES and a S version.

Moderators: jifflemon, coyote1980, Rachel

arthuy
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by arthuy » Mon May 21, 2018 6:24 pm

what is it? an underbonnet lamp.

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm

arthuy wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:24 pm
what is it? an underbonnet lamp.
Correct! Apparently all the cool kids have them (and have the recess in their bonnet cut out for them) :rofl:

arthuy
Can tell where the 480 was built
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by arthuy » Mon May 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Rover fitted them from atleast the sixties, I used to get the comment that they were there to assist during the breakdowns :evil:

Where does it sit in the engine bay?

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Image

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Thu May 24, 2018 8:12 pm

jifflemon wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:37 pm
So, a little teaser shot for you...

Image
So, those components, weighed and measured into a pot, look like this:

Image

Doesn't resemble this yet, does it?

Image

That's right folks.... We're having some paint! Not the whole car before anyone starts to get excited! However, after much mocking at the mini meet, the rear bumper (or rather, it's replacement) needed to be dealt with.

So, back to that pot, lets give it a mix...

Image

Looks a little better (apart from the light making it look awful!)

So, to the booth to find our recipients of the paint....

Image

and away we go....

Image

Not the best shot (its being taken through a glass door)

Image

Now add some Laquer and it looks like this:

Image

Image

Then, it was allowed to dry and we set about fitting it - No pics of that really, as I've covered it already in previous posts.

Two things happened though whilst the bumper was off.

1) My friend added the talipipe to my exhaust. It's a standard exhaust (and thus, girlfriend friendly) but I do like something chunky to polish and give presence.

2) He polished my rear lights; Well, initially he just polished one to wind me up, but eventually did the second!

Final results:

Image

Image

User avatar
dragonflyjewels
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:38 am
Location: Norfolk

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by dragonflyjewels » Thu May 24, 2018 9:46 pm

looking goood ! :)
Sylvia

Snazzy - 1993 Paris Blue ES red dipstick 2.0i bought 2001
Lethal Lily - 1991 White Turbo with richmod
hubby has
Sven - 1994 Dark Green GT
Evil Eva 1992 Paris Blue Turbo with Robou mod

zapcity
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by zapcity » Fri May 25, 2018 7:22 am

Love all the bumper detail and pictures as I'm just about to do the same. Great looking back end! Exhaust trim finishes it off nicely. Added to shopping list.
1993 480GT - coming soon!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Fri May 25, 2018 10:52 am

Just in case you, or anyone is else is wondering, it's a 3.5" inch, double wall stainless steel, rolled in tip.

Alan 480
480 Veteran
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:03 am
Location: Aberdeen

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by Alan 480 » Fri May 25, 2018 11:48 am

i'm liking the polished rear lenses . . .
Alan

480 ES 2litre, C30 1.8ES, SS1 + more

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Alan 480 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:48 am
i'm liking the polished rear lenses . . .
literally took him 5 minutes..... He's one of those really annoying people that makes everything look simple! :eek:

zapcity
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by zapcity » Fri May 25, 2018 8:45 pm

Image

Just showed SHMBO :wife: the pictures of your car.

"Ooooh, I love that blue, can I have one?"

You Paris blue owners and your pretty cars. Costing me a fortune!! :lol:
1993 480GT - coming soon!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 pm

so, another temporary (semi-permanent) fix done today.

The centre vertical vent was, like most, a bit flappy.... easy to see why.

Image

only one of the five clips remained in one peice.

Image

Didn't even bother seeing if such a part was available, instead, I got my best blue peter on....

Image

Yup, thats five cable ties cut short around the flap and then....

Image

the remains of cable tie glue gunned and holding it all togther!

Looks terrible I know, but it actually works! :rofl:

jifflemon
480 Veteran
Posts: 782
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:03 am

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by jifflemon » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:07 pm

So more updates, this time coutesy of 89of480
89of480 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1962573359 This is the link for the bulbs I’ve purchased, I got these ones because I’ve read about someone on here before that has the same bulbs, the last LED’s I tried stopped the pop ups from working but these ones are fine, I’m looking forward to trying them!
So, £8 seemed a small price to pay to not have my lenses and bulbholders melted...

Here they are:
Image

Side by side view:

Image

And done!

Image

Yes, they're a little more blue than I'd like, but hey, works with the car! :lol:

The big positives to take away are:
1) Headlamps still work
2) Running lights won't melt

:rofl:

triumphtoledo
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:30 pm

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by triumphtoledo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 am

..but teh negatives are not legal for road use and you risk being pulled for all that blue light - lovely car though :)

dcwalker
Advanced 480 rookie
Posts: 512
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:30 pm
Location: York

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by dcwalker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 am

Now that, Sir, is beginning to look very smart - although I still think I preferred the original unique finish on the bumper :wink:

I agree you might have a problem with the LEDs: it'll probably depend on how they look at night though.

As for the under bonnet lamp, I am envious! I had one on my first 480, and then fitted one to my second. Looked into doing the same on the Celebration to find the mounting area was no longer part of the structure :( . Forgot all about it then - must see if it's there on the GT!

Keep up the good work!

David
Current: 1994 480 GT, 1995 Celebration masquerading as 346/480
Previous: Celebration 269 (sadly abandoned project), Celebration 73, 1992 ES, 1988 ES - and numerous other non-480 Volvos!

User avatar
89of480
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:36 pm
Location: Trying to get the A/C to work
Contact:

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by 89of480 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:46 am

jifflemon wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:07 pm
So more updates, this time coutesy of 89of480
89of480 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1962573359 This is the link for the bulbs I’ve purchased, I got these ones because I’ve read about someone on here before that has the same bulbs, the last LED’s I tried stopped the pop ups from working but these ones are fine, I’m looking forward to trying them!
So, £8 seemed a small price to pay to not have my lenses and bulbholders melted...

Yes, they're a little more blue than I'd like, but hey, works with the car! :lol:

The big positives to take away are:
1) Headlamps still work
2) Running lights won't melt

:rofl:
Hey, I’m glad you got them too and that you like them!
I was very pleased that they didn’t stop the headlamps running! And of course the best part is that they won’t destroy the irreplaceable lenses!

But are they really illegal? I wouldn’t say that they are super blue like those actually illegal ice blue side lamps you see some people with, I wouldn’t say they are any more blue than LED daytime lamps anyway to be fair, but they suit your car well!

And the paint is fantastic! I’m jealous and also very excited to get mine done!!
‘95 Celebration Auto - №89 of 480 - Flame Red Metaillic
‘17 BMW M140i Shadow Edition - Black Sapphire Metallic

triumphtoledo
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:30 pm

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by triumphtoledo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:50 pm

Sadly, yes, LED bulb conversions that fit in exterior lamp halogen housings are illegal to sell, fit and use on the road. This is because all replacement bulbs have to be e-marked; LED conversion bulbs cannot attain the standards as required by UK and EU law. If selling for off road use, the bulb vendor has to prove that the car is not being used on the road This is a separate legal issue to blue light being emitted.

LED daytime running lights, either supplied as aftermarket lamps complete, or fitted to a new car, are legal, because they lens and light source are compatible with each other and they pass Type Approval standards.

LED conversion bulbs are OK to use inside the car but never in an external lamp.

R

zapcity
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:01 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by zapcity » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 pm

triumphtoledo wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:50 pm
Sadly, yes, LED bulb conversions that fit in exterior lamp halogen housings are illegal to sell, fit and use on the road. This is because all replacement bulbs have to be e-marked; LED conversion bulbs cannot attain the standards as required by UK and EU law. If selling for off road use, the bulb vendor has to prove that the car is not being used on the road This is a separate legal issue to blue light being emitted.

LED daytime running lights, either supplied as aftermarket lamps complete, or fitted to a new car, are legal, because they lens and light source are compatible with each other and they pass Type Approval standards.

LED conversion lamps are OK to use inside the car but never in an external lamp.

R
Good info. Is this correct for rear lights also (brake lights, numberplate etc.)?
1993 480GT - coming soon!!
XC60 and XC70 for the daily grind.
C70 Coupé Convertible for the sunny days. Should sell it but can't!

User avatar
89of480
Knows where Volvo is from
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:36 pm
Location: Trying to get the A/C to work
Contact:

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by 89of480 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:14 pm

zapcity wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:55 pm
triumphtoledo wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:50 pm
Sadly, yes, LED bulb conversions that fit in exterior lamp halogen housings are illegal to sell, fit and use on the road. This is because all replacement bulbs have to be e-marked; LED conversion bulbs cannot attain the standards as required by UK and EU law. If selling for off road use, the bulb vendor has to prove that the car is not being used on the road This is a separate legal issue to blue light being emitted.

LED daytime running lights, either supplied as aftermarket lamps complete, or fitted to a new car, are legal, because they lens and light source are compatible with each other and they pass Type Approval standards.

LED conversion lamps are OK to use inside the car but never in an external lamp.

R
Good info. Is this correct for rear lights also (brake lights, numberplate etc.)?
That is a shame, but understandable, considering some of the abhorrent LEDS you normally see on people’s number plates; either stupidly blue or stupidly bright.

I would say yes, this is correct for rear lights too; I know Halfords have begun selling LED brake lights and other lamps, not 100% sure if they are E marked though
‘95 Celebration Auto - №89 of 480 - Flame Red Metaillic
‘17 BMW M140i Shadow Edition - Black Sapphire Metallic

triumphtoledo
Started learning about 480
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:30 pm

Re: So, today was the day...

Post by triumphtoledo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes. Conversion lamps are not for exterior lamp use at all. With Halfords and other retailers selling them, strictly speaking, they are breaking the law that is not being enforced, although you'll notice that there will be a warning saying "for off road use"

R

Post Reply